Cheap SS Practice Amp, Which One to Buy

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by guzzis3, Sep 17, 2019.

1. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Oh I dont know man, these actually are NOT bad
    My ex wife got this one in the late 80s /early 90s ,its still kickin
    Better check out Cash Converters ......

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

Line 6 is pretty common. Any close by?

3. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Member

Orange CR20 or CR35 if your budget allows.

4. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

Funny you should mention that:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bir...ine-6-modelling-amp-head-unit-150w/1227022191

The kustom quad is available. I'm seeing it saturday. The spider 3 is across town, 1 hour drive. I might be able to tee up both in one trip. Same direction from me, east...

I want the kustom quad because one of the valve amps I will be building when I get some of that imaginary spare time is stereo. I can rewire that into 2 16 ohm 2x12. Meanwhile it can serve as a 150W head cab with the line 6 as a bedroom practise amp :D

Assuming I can buy both. The randall sold straight away...

5. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

I don't really want to buy new. I'm looking at second hand stuff available within about an hour or so drive. I've got a heap of gear, and as I say I've got plans for that 4x12, so all I really need is a straight amp to go between my GT8 and the speakers. In fact I could probably dig an old stereo amp out of the garage run teh gt8 line out into it and make some leads to the quad box. But simpler solution would be the $30 "freedom" FA 30 available locally. It would need a line out jack added assuming the stock speakers suck. $100 is not too dear so teh line 6 might be ok provided the clean sound can be made passable.

I seriously don't need a modeler. It's a pity there seem to be lots of those. It would be better if manufacturers put the $ into a decent straight amp and for combos better speakers. Anyway...

Thank you all for the comments.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  6. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

I have a Spider 4, 30W with a 12" speaker. I bought it new about 3 years ago for $124. The new ones are pretty much the same price, but they're putting an 8" speaker in them.

I mainly use it with the headphones for those late-night jams. Works great. Has some effects and reverb too.

7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

The amp industry has changed so much in the past few years. Just ten, or even as little as five years ago, I'd have said that there's not a single flea powered practice amp that I could stand to play through. I need GOOD, BIG tone or I won't practice. But I have to say, despite my bias toward big iron and hot tubes, there are some little modelling amps out there that are REALLY hard to find fault with if you're trying to be fair and balanced.

This is a really GOOD time to be a new guitar player just starting out. You can spend 300 bucks or less and have a guitar that plays quite decently with a good setup and low action and also have a lot of tasty and very presentable tones at your fingertips.

When I started out in the mid 80s, you had to fork out several times that for a guitar that was good enough not to frustrate your aspirations of being a player, and for the amp as well. I never had any affection for the low end guitars and if I were to buy a guitar and amp new from a store at that time that met my standards it'd have cost me a grand or more.

But I'm just hardcore old school. I play the guitar in my avatar (which I built) and the amp I plug into is a Marshall JMP 2203 or a 1959, with a cabinet full of Greenbacks. That's my bedroom practice rig. I highly recommend it, if you won't get noise complaints from it. (I don't.)

Mitchell Pearrow and jmp45 like this.
  8. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Manufacturers want us experimenting. That's what forums reinforce. Some of us get lucky after years of sampling. Too many choices based on ears that demand this and that.

However the studio is where the win is as sound engineers make us want this and that tone/feel. Loosely built around any amp SS, modeler or tube.

Hope you find a decent one. I know I've had some indecent offerings.:D

9. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

If you want a combo I'd go Katana. I have a Orange Micro Terror ( not the Dark Terror) not full SS as it has one tube, mine now has a 5751. Even though it is only available as a head, I've run it many times with no load only headphones no problem and sounds awesome through a good cab. Great little clean amp at any volume singles or hb's. Cheap as chips, takes pedals well but I like amp only best with p90's.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  10. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

The asking prices for oranges are too high. There are no katanas for sale, at least not in the $ I'm looking at.

Years ago I bought a practise amp at a garage sale for $10. I sold it on to my ex because she wanted to amplify podcasts at her meditation group. I asked her today and she doesn't use it anymore, so I bought it back. It's an absolutely no name 10W 6" speaker thing called an axtech VM106 I think. Mde in korea. It should be garbage but it actually sounds ok.

So anyway there is that. I'm still going to buy the cab, that's a solution to a different problem, and if the line 6 seller gets back I'll look at that too.

As for gear in the old days, I remember plywood guitars, but perhapse more interesting was the gibsons and fenders in the late 70's. Here in australia they were as dear as poison, but the strats had neck cavities that ibanez, tokai etc would bin. The gibsons were likewise garbage. You had to navigate a minefield of rubbish to find anything good, and it was often hiding in the japanese guitars. Likewise amps. Price was no guarantee, nor reputation. I think it was dean markley that did some really dodgy combos that used to blow up or burn or something. Things got better in the mid 80's, fender got bought out, gibson started pulling themselves together.

There was a very clear reason Fender, marshall and Vox did so well, and Gobson amps failed utterly in the 50's. LF, JM and Jennings were salesmen. They stood at the counter and talked to musicians, then gave them what they wanted. Gibson had no such connection and spent the 50's and 60's building amps no one wanted, failing to market the good ones, then flipping the range every 2 or 3 years trading new failures for the old ones. When the corporates moved on marshall, vox and fender they dragged them down to the same level. It was horrible to watch...and frustrating.

Anyway I know nothing of modern gear and don't really want to. If I want a valve amp I can just chuck one together that does what I want, but the requirement for SS in this instance has thrown me.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to keep my eye on the ads in case something interesting comes up. At least now I know a tiny little bit...

and if all else fails there is always the MS-2C :D

11. solarburnDSL50

How about a 5 watt Hot One Purple Wind? I've got one and they are a blast to play. EFX loop too. Plenty loud for 5 watts. The PW reacts like a vintage Marshall does when diming the TBM.

Plus they have other voicings.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  12. Madfinger

$150 in Australia will be lucky to get you a quiet night at the pub. Times have changed & so has technology "for the better" which most posters here are trying to advise. I think the general consensus would be to get shorter pockets, or longer arms & get someting decent around the $2-300aus mark be it SS, Hybrid or full valve. It is only honest advice from those who are well versed on todays offerings.

13. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

Certainly an interesting thing but I don't know that it's what I am after.

Ok. Did you read my previous posts in this thread ? I've got a collection of "great" amps, I'm looking for something specifically to do quick little practice sessions. If I was going to spend $300 I'd just use a valve amp and fix it as it degraded. I don't know what pubs you go to but 2 of use had dinner and drinks at the grand central last night for about $30.

14. solarburnDSL50

What do you want to play on an amp you are browsing on?

15. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Is it Hot-One or Ho-Tone?

I always figured it was some Asian dude named Ho, or perhaps a Vietnamese company from Ho Chi Minh City and/or brownnosing the party?

16. solarburnDSL50

Ho'd tone?

Most do.

17. Madfinger

:shock:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  18. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

Mooer GE-150/200 and headphones. no one will complain, load IRs, great tone, cheap as hell.

19. myersbw

myersbw Well-Known Member

Here's my cheap find...90's era Peavey Studio Pro 40...AWESOME for a SS amp...holds up well...sounds amazing with Tech21 RK5 pedal! I got mine for all of $60...likely an old Bandit would serve just as well. You can find a lot of old Peavey SS amps out there for cheap. And...if you find a 90's model STILL working? Well, it'll likely still work for another 15-30 years!

20. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

I have to say I am both surprised and flattered this question has attracted so much interest. I guess it's always fun helping someone else spend their money :D

I have previously tried to explain the situation, but maybe I've failed.

I've got:

AC4TV, plexi major, tiesco (really nice clean but no you don't want one), MS-2C!!! :D other stuff I've probably forgotten. Vox series 90 V130 box and speakers, the amp was removed before I bought it. I've got 1 of it's horns, the other got binned :(

So the point is I've got lots of GOOD options. I've also got a GT8. I know, it's a modeler, but it's a good modeler and I've played with it enough to be able to get some nice sounds.

So the problem was never to get an amp that did this or that. The problem very specifically was a SS amp I could flick on for 5 minutes practice here and there. I can not justify paying big money for a side issue.

So looking at what was available locally, second hand and cheap I saw a lot of options I wasn't familiar with, so I asked the question. Most of the responses were really helpful, but some seemed to not get the origional intent. Probably my fault for not being clear.

Anyway yesterday was epic. I went into town and got the kustom 4x12, then went east and picked up the line 6.

The kustom has super 65's and I'm really happy with it. Really heavy, much heavier than I remember my last marshall 4x12 being (jcm800, it had G12's in it that weren't made for long but I can't remember which one). Crucially it is signifigantly deeper, so I couldn't get it in the boot of my car.

The line 6 isn't wonderful, but it's ok. It's obviously cheap and kinda aimed at children. It annoys me that the stereo outputs can't be bridged internally and if you plug only one side you'll blow it. No 4 ohm either, although 16 is apparently ok. Most annoying of all though is the seller didn't tell me until I arrived that someone else was after it and really keen. If I'd known I'd have left it. Sigh. Anyway I have asked my number to be passed on in case he wants to buy it from me at the same price.

Last night some ladies and I attended a classical concert in a park in brisbane, part of the riverfire festival. Really good night but I'm quite tired today.

Next mission rewire the cab to 2 2x12 16 ohm pairs and make an external bridge so I can use it either way.

I've set up auto searches to look for marshall SS heads. If I can pick up something fairly cheap that might be a bit of fun. I expect the line 6 will go eventually.