Cheap SS Practice Amp, Which One to Buy

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by guzzis3, Sep 17, 2019.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

I would appreciate opinions if you don't mind.

I find lately I am grabbing a few minutes of practice here and there. This is terrible for a valve amp so I'm thinking something small cheap SS and ideally with a headphone jack. I can then just flick it on and off with impunity...

I'd love a lead 12 but nothing is popping up locally and shipping of course kills it.

So I spot this fender mustang, $150AU about $100US (Note all conversions are approximate, AU$is about 68US cents atm so about 2/3. It seems to be the going rate locally. About 40 mins west:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/marburg/guitars-amps/fender-mustang-2-v-2-amplifier/1227916512

Frankly I've never much cared for fenders, apart from champs, but I have a problem and there isn't much available locally worth looking at. It seems like a lot more amp for the money...

There is also a blackstar thing for $100 ($70US). Seems dear for what it is but it is closer, and of course in the opposite direction. East

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mid...tar-id-core-20-v2-guitar-amplifier/1227805086

Marshall MG10 40 mins north.. $60AU ($40US)

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ferny-hills/guitars-amps/marshall-mg-10-cf-guitar-amp/1228520694

Marshall G30R CD I'm pretty sure...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/burleigh-heads/guitars-amps/marshall-amp/1227755037

Which is about 2 hours drive. Also they seem to go for about $80 ($50US) in good order and that one is knocked around.

So the question is what would you go look at given they are all in different directions and not trivial to access ?

I'm not specifically after a modelling amp but the mustang seems to have decent deluxe/bassman sounds. I've got a boss GT8 that I've had for ages but almost never use I could stick that on the front of whatever to get effects and models. I really only want an amp that I can flick on and off and not care about but doesn't sound like total garbage...

Or here is a selection of prices for new amps in aus:

https://www.mannys.com.au/guitar-bass/amps/guitar-combo-amps?
    SortProduct=PriceValue%20ASC&PageProduct=1

The marshall is $100 new.

This is about 4 hours from me so would have to be shipped but $50 silver tolex and the youtube demos the cd seems to sound a bit nicer than the cf ?? I'm guessing shipping would be maybe $25...

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/inv...es-10cd-limited-edition-silver-amp/1224028187

Anyway thoughts appreciated...

tce63 likes this.
  2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I got my son a Roland Microcube. Its a lot of fun, and well made too!

Attached Files:

3. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

40 bucks for a used Blackstar IDCore10 …… pretty cool little box

Trelwheen, tce63, Alter and 3 others like this.
  4. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Look for Orange.....I personally like CR120. IT’S a solid state Rockerverb. The Crush line is good. Also, the Marshall AVT line is good. I’ve seen the AVT 100s and 50s go for $100 USD. MARSHALL CODE 50 is worth a look.

5. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Member

I, like @Jon C also have the ID:Core 10 and like it alot. The twenty has twice the watts, slightly larger speakers, and a jack for a footswitch, and it is stereo which sounds very good. Highly recommend this. I got the 10 because it was available in white.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

I didn't see that coming, 2 votes for blackstar. I don't know much about them...

The 20 is $150 new ($100US) and the second hand one is asking $100AU (about $69US)

So no one thinks the MG10's are a good idea ? or the fender ?

I actually bought a roland cube 30 many years ago, took it back to the shop I hated it so much and that's how I ended up with the GT8. I can actually use the GT8 as a headphone amplifier. maybe I should get an extension lead and just do that....but a speaker would be nice...maybe get some computer speakers and run them as monitors. Hm. Dunno.

I forgot to mention I'm using an american std strat 2003..so single coils...

Thank you for the thoughts.

7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

How about FREE and BETTER? Download and install Native Instruments Guitar Rig on your laptop (or desktop) computer, use a 1/4 to 1/8" adapter cable, plug your guitar into the mic jack, headphones into the headphone jack, and let it rip?

If you don't buy the full version you just can't save your configurations and you have to restart every 30 minutes. But it's fully functional for a half hour at a time and the tones you can get are pretty amazing. If you really like it you can then buy the license and have no restrictions.

There is other free amp emulating software as well that you can try out.

If the tone doesn't fire me up, I won't practice very much. I need good tone to keep me motivated.

8. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

Thank you for the suggestion, but if I only use headphones I might as well use the GT8.

The boss is a funny thing. I have always found it incredibly unintuitive, but then I've never known what to do with all those knobs on the major, but if you fiddle enough you can get some really magic sounds out of it. I started with the plexi model years ago, and after a lot of fiddling I got it to make a pretty fair approximation of a plexi. Obviously there are lots of variables, but it was as close as any copy/model etc I'd ever heard at that time. So many knobs....

I've also got a tascam interface for computer and cubase lt. 2 channel usb thing can take a guitar direct or mics.

I just spotted a Kustom Q412a on gumtree for $125. If it's got 4 working celestion super 65's in it that is awfully cheap. I was thinking of reconing some old magnavox twin cones I've got (or refoaming some etones) but if those are there I'll buy it....

I guess I was attracted to the fender because of the 12" speaker. My ac4tv has a 10 and it's bearable but I've never felt an amp sounds right through small speakers. I do like 12's...

9. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

The Blackstar

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I have one i got for free with a busted switch and no power supply, im in it about 30.00 and its a sweet little amp. Recommended
    Oh yeah its STEREO!

11. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yea the little Blackstar core 10 is a fun little amp. Sounds much bigger than it has a right to. Cheap. I found one at a Pawn shop for $50.

12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Marshall MG solid state amps. Another brand that's good is Yamaha. If you want to load something on your phone Amplitube is a good one, lots of options to customize your rig.

13. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I also like the 10W Mgs. For $100 Aud you can get a new one with a Gold front plate.

They are loud and rude!

14. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I know everytime I plug into the little Blackstar Id core 10 for a quickie it puts a smile on my face. Very spacious sounding, killer stereo effects. Find one somewhere to try out..bet you smile too..:)

Mitchell Pearrow, Jon C and tce63 like this.
  15. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

16. Alter

Alter Active Member

Get the Blackstar, it's great for what you want, really good at low volume and headphones, stereo speakers.

tce63 likes this.
  17. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Try to find a Peavey Vypyr

18. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Id go Katana.

tce63 likes this.
  19. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

So the randall is no good ?

Unfortunately I am limited to what is available locally. It's not much use suggesting things I can't buy. There is a blackstar 20w but no 10w versions available and the 20 is close to new money..

I don't know if I mentioned I've a collection of valve amps from the ac4tv up to the major, so I'm not looking for something fantastic, just something that doesn't suck to do quick practice. The randall has 12" celestions so I'm wondering if they sound nice. I do like 12" speakers even at low volumes.

20. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

what do you mean by locally?

Online orders are not an option? If so are you stuck with store inventory?

I stand by my post. The Katana is a great amp to practice on without any pedals needed.