Charvel Fusion Opinions

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by SkyMonkey, Jul 12, 2019.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

I have a Charvel Fusion Custom that I am thinking of trading on. It is in as good condition as you could expect for a 1990 guitar. HSS with a 24 3/4" scale, original Jackson pickups, and a Schaller Floyd trem.

But I just do not get on with it. My first HSS and I keep hitting the middle pickup, can't balance the pickup volumes satisfactorily, scale too shot for me. And the trem has spent most of its time blocked (double).

Has anyone else got this guitar or similar, and how do you like it.

I know this is all personal tastes, but it is a lovely example of a guitar I lusted after in my youth, but am now quite disappointed with since owning it.

Cheers Guys

2. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

one of my fav guitars. DO NOT SELL.
    unblock that damn tremolo, give it a good setup and rock this beast

Mitchell Pearrow and SkyMonkey like this.
  3. SkyMonkey

Tremolo was unblocked last night in anticipation of trading at the LGS.
    Put the original pups back in a couple of days ago. The single slot rail J200R pickups are an oddity in themselves on this guitar. They originally came wired as parallel neck and coil split middle! Seems a bit pointless to come with a rail pickup with one coil shut off. Still, put them back as-was.

ricksconnected likes this.
  4. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

If you don't like the middle pickup getting bumped into, just remove it.

Have an HS setup, those are cool as hell

5. SkyMonkey

Good point. That would make it a Fusion Deluxe!

Look a bit tatty though.
    I did have a set of passive EMGs in for a while. Had them left over from a Steinberger project. The neck was a covered rail PU that sounded pretty good.
    I could reinstall then and wire in the Neck and Bridge only and lower the phuc out of the middle single.

Will have to think about that. How could that work with a 5-way selector?

6. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I don’t like the middle pickup on my Ibanez RG470. Same issue - I keep hitting it with my pick. Don’t know why I ever bought an HSH.

Anyhow, I first thought about pulling the pickup but I don’t want to have to deal with re-wiring it. So I decided to just lower it all the way down so it’s not in the way. I never use it so it’s not a problem that it’s quieter.

7. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

bad picking technique?

SkyMonkey likes this.
  8. KraftyBob

Maybe? But I've been playing for 40 years and that's where I end up picking based on where my hand is. Good, bad or otherwise that's just how I play - which is over the middle pickup.

When I play my Strat I rarely hit the middle pickup so I measured the two guitars. The middle pickup in the Strat is 3.5" from the bridge and the on the Ibanez it's only 3". That 1/2" seems to make all the difference. I tried telling my wife that too :D

9. SkyMonkey

Yes, I probably have technique issues all over the place, but I'm 50. Bit harder to change my technique at this age than my guitar. But it has never been a problem until I got this guitar, my first HSS.

Off this morning to the LGS where they have a similar 2nd hand Jackson JS32Q (HH, 25 1/2") for under £200. I am piqued by this particular guitar because the website photos show it has pickups installed that are definitely not stock. The bridge looks like either a Dimarzio Crunch Lab, D Sonic, or possibly even a Megadrive. The neck looks like another Dimarzio too. If it's a player I may get it as a project and convert it for low tunings (down to C# standard).

10. SkyMonkey

Well the pickups were Dimarzios of some sort (I could see the triangular tabs), but the actual guitar was inferior to the Charvel, I hesitated, and it sold. So I am sticking with the Fusion and will try to learn to love it (better picking technique).

Cheers guys

11. SkyMonkey

Back in Block. Installed The Tone Zone. Middle PU sunk. Fixed and lovin' it!
    Dodged a bullet load of regret by keeping this guitar.
    Thanks again guys.

12. KraftyBob

Good to hear you’re liking it!

Too funny, I installed a Tone Zone in my Ibanez. Had it in there for a few years until I recently converted my SSS Strat to an HSS and used the Tone Zone for that. I like that pickup.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  13. SkyMonkey

I've had the TZ in its box for years. Originally bought as part of a shop recommended set for a guitar I built myself in 1993. The TZ started life as the neck PU paired with an X2N in the bridge. Terrible for the neck and was eventually replaced with a D Activator X Neck.

The TZ is a phenomenal pickup in the bridge of this guitar. If only I'd known!

KraftyBob likes this.