changing cab speaker from 16ohm to 8ohm

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by jim crabb, Nov 22, 2019.

1. jim crabb

jim crabb New Member

hi there all, i haven't posted on the forum before, but i'm looking for some help changing my speaker in a vox lil night train cab, and couldn't find the info i needed with google. It currently has a 16ohm speaker and i want to change it to an 8ohm, because i have a spare celestion g10, that would be an improvement, I'm not going to be running it with the night train head, which is 16ohm, but a hotone nano which can power, 4-16ohm, so there's not a mismatch there. I'm just asking in case the cab's wired in a way that only suits 16ohm. Sorry if it's a bit of a rookie question, just wanted to be sure i'm not gonna ruin anything before i swap the speakers.

2. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

As long as the amp in question has an 8 ohm output then you will not have any problems at all
    As for the 4x16 ohms speakers that you say is not much of a mismatch, that depend on how they are connected

3. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Active Member

The cab has 1 10" speaker, right? There should be no tricky wiring if it is factory stock, so yes you can swap the speaker with no issues.

4. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Marshall Forum Jim :cheers: member 57,350.

5. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Good morning Ken …… I believe the HoTone Nano has an output section that is happy all of the way down to 4ohm but will be happy up to 16ohm as well ……SS design…
    The OP was referring to the Resistance range of the Amp as opposed to a 4/12 cab…

6. jim crabb

jim crabb New Member

thats right the hotone powers anything in the 4-16 ohm range, thanks for your replys guys, i thought it would be fine, but just wanted to be sure, don't want top break anything. :D :yesway:

7. Ken Underwood

Thats OK then, just looked at that amp and yes it says 4-16 ohms, but to be honest i cannot see by changing the speaker from 16 to 8 ohms will make very much difference

8. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

He's not doing it specifically to change the impedance. He wants to replace the stock 16 ohm speaker, and he already has an 8 ohm Celestion. So he's checking if there's any reason he needs to buy a 16 ohm to replace the stock 16 ohm, instead of just using the 8 ohm he already has.
    ----------------------
    A lot of recent ss amps imply they put out the same amount of power into 4, 8, or 16 ohms. But typically, ss produces more watts into lower impedances and fewer watts into higher impedance. In a ss amp rated as 4 ohms minimum, 4 ohms draws full power, 8 ohms draws half power, 16 ohms draws 1/4 power.

So switching from a 16 ohm speaker to an 8 ohm may add 3dB to the volume.

9. Ken Underwood

Yes i know what he said and at no time did i say he wanted to change the impedance
    Give me strength.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  10. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

My apologies, sir. I misunderstood this: "but to be honest i cannot see by changing the speaker from 16 to 8 ohms will make very much difference" that you thought he was changing specifically for a different impedance.

I'm guessing you meant "no problem for the amp to handle the change".

The other part about ss power output was directed at the OP. I know you know more about amps than I ever will.