Cell phone text scammers from Craigslist??

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by RickyLee, Jan 23, 2020.

1. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Need some help from the tech savvy people here on the forum.

I recently ran an ad on Craigslist to sell a couple cheap guitars. Well, initially minutes after posting the ads I got exact same worded texts inquiring and both phone numbers had area codes well out of town. I think one was another state lol. I knew that was phishy for sure.

Then tonight, I was texting back and forth with a phone number in the 213 Los Angeles area code. I am few counties away in Riverside. I was texting back and forth this person asking me if the ad is real, me asking if he/she was a real person lol. I started getting uneasy and told the person they were going to have to drive pretty far for an Asian $100 guitar and that I had 2 people locally already interested anyway - that I would get back to them. I was basically trying to be nice and get them to lose interest.

Then they send a text telling me "to check my cell phone text. If your post is real, tell me the code given in the text sent from google." Then they say "may I send you the verification code?" I ask, what is that for as I truly never heard of that lol. I say this has become a bit strange and no thanks.

Then they text back, "I am not playing a game. It's new craigslist verification process. I will be sure your ad is real by the code. so let me know can you tell me the code or not?

I truly was skeptical but wondering if there was indeed some verification code that was part of my craigslist ad lol. So told them I would have to check that out as I never needed that before in the past. Told them i will let them know later if it got sold. Never gave them my address of course lol.

Then I get a text with a 5 digit phone number - very odd, text says "G-****** is your Google verification code."

First I thought to myself, why is he asking me for the verification code if he already has it or sees it????

So, if I were to have text back that code to him, would that then have triggered some type of capture of my cell number? Or has something already happened here??

I am pissed as I have had this cell number since 1999 . . . .

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Tell them to either come look at it (with your 45 in the back waistband) or feork off.
    Too much shit is well too much shit. That is how I look at it.

3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

DO NOT REPLY!

4. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

That is a course of action as well.

5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Ricky I tell them dumb fvks to go find a pond to fish in because I don’t play that stupid game, plus I have my phone number in the damm ad!!
    And we all know of the cashiers check scam, nobody walks away with shit with out cash.

tce63 and Lance Chambers like this.
  6. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

When you POST an ad on craigs list, Craig's does send you a verification code. This is real.
    But then if you keep posting more ads, there is only the one-time verification.
    If you are responding to an ad, there is no verification code.

Yes Craigs list is full of scammers that's for certain. But so is E bay.

7. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

Sounds phishy. I had something similar happen last week but it was a call from Apple(scam) about buying iPhones from another state. They wanted to verify it was me. Wanted to send this code and I was to read it back to them. I told them that I did not buy any iPhones and they should call the cops. They hung up. I haven't been bothered since.
    There are scammers everywhere. Don't give them any information. Don't open any links.

Your number should be fine but maybe take your phone in to check if it has spyware.

I was talking to this guy sometime back. He was telling me that some hacker got into his iPhone and was able to get into his iPad via his iPhone.

I don't have a smart phone so I'm immune to most of this techy crap.

As for selling your guitar. Talk to a person. CA$H is KING!!

8. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

The text code scam is a port phishing scam. They can hack your phone if you reply with the five digit code. It basically gives them free access to your phone.

Micky and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

10. RickyLee

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, you can see from my signature pic that most people are a bit leary of me at first sight in person anyway lol

Basically, a back door port to hack your phone.

Yeah, I do not do anything online critical from my phone anyway. No banking, cash/credit transactions from my phone. I do minimal online bill paying credit card stuff just from my protected home computer. I am probably one of the few remaining dinosaurs that still writes checks and send them with a few different bills each month lol. My check writing has diminished drastically over the last few years to where a book of 25 last me about 7 months lol.

Micky, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The verification code of CL is not a scam.
    Craigs list has been doing this for some time now. It's Legit.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  12. RickyLee

It was about 5 years ago or so when I drove down to supposed Hollywood right after work to by a Silverface Deluxe Reverb for $280. As I started getting close to this address, I realized I was in a very bad part of town and I'm by myself. As I get out front of these apartments, I start to text this dude I am there and notice a somewhat gangster looking fella checking his phone from sidewalk. I realize it is him and we make eye contact. He then comes up to my car and tells me to drive on back into the alley between the two rows of apartments. I started getting that uneasy feeling, but crap, I grew up in a bad neighborhood myself lol.

I drive into the alley, and the dude goes to one of the carports. All the carports have security gates on them. But dam I wanted this amp lol. So before I get out of my car I watch him go in and grab the amp and bring it out. I brought a good size screwdriver as I wanted to indeed open this amp up to make sure the circuit board and trannies were legit. So I first check the area making sure there is not others hanging out, lurking about. So I have this screwdriver in my back pocket and think to myself it will be going into the face or faces of anyone wanting to try any funny business. I start opening up the chassis and me and the dude are talking a bit. I take a quick visual inside the chassis, and don't even bother to close it up. Pop my trunk, throw it in the trunk, then hand the dude the cash and I am outta there lol.

A funny Craigslist time was when I met a guy halfway down towards San Diego to by a 1970 Twin Reverb for a couple hundred bucks. We met at a restaurant parking lot. The amp visually looked good and for that price I did not care if it had problems. Guy said it works great. So, get the amp home and plug it in to the wall. Go to fire her up and it shot flames out the back lol. Had me stumped for quite a few minutes, but was just a bad 6L6 socket that pin 3 was arcing to chassis ground . . . .

Antmax, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  13. RobS

RobS Active Member

hi Ricky,
    whenever ive sold things here in Aus I always expect to get texts almost as soon as the ad is placed, i just ignore them, delete and block the number on my phone.
    If theyre genuine they will call and talk is my take on it

Rob

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  14. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Active Member

I don't know what Craigslist you guys use, but I ain't NEVE gotten a code from them to verify anything. I do use a login for CL account. It is a scam for a Google account takeover. As a previous poster said, ignore them. I will say, today's day and age, it is not unusual to have a cell phone from another state.

15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Simple craigslist rules, dont post your phone number use the craigslist email relay they never even see your email address. Meet in a public place like a music store to do your transaction. Cash or trade transactions only.

If youre concerned about your phone backup your data and do a factory wipe and reactivate its quick and easy.

16. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I love the CL scam where they want to send you a money order. I always tell them yes, sure that's fine but just send cash and we have a deal. Funny, they never respond back after that and never ask for my address.

17. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Funny thing happened to one of my cousins. He got a spam call on his smart phone and when he checked the number it was his own number area code and all!

I don't understand how these things work, but yes I'm getting paranoid about hacking, wire fraud, ID theft, and how to protect yourself.

18. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yea I have a few things on c.l. now, and I've gotten the same thing from the scanmers here in the last couple days.. The code thing, the money order/ send rep thing..ect. they are really hitting it hard as of late..they must be having a rough start to the year in douchebagville.

The classic "is this item still available?" Is a tip off to bullshit as well I put in my listing " if this item is still listed, it's still available " so if I get a text asking that, they get their number blocked and text deleted pronto..as do any reponses That seem fishy...broken english from far away area codes, text just quoted from my listing ect. I'm getting pretty good at spotting them. I just block suspected numbers..right or wrong.

19. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

My mother got a scam from her own number as well. Her own number came up in her caller i.d.

20. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Thats the first thing I ALWAYS ask, is the item still available, lazy jackasses sell stuff all the time and never take down the ad.