Celestion Vintage 30 Types And Changes

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by RickyLee, Feb 9, 2019.

1. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I did a search as I know this has been discussed quite a bit here. And I thought we had a thread that covered it all. I did not find a thread that included all the different types, so figured I would start a new one. Was wondering if I should just call it the "Official V30 Thread? lol

I was just talking to a friend who just bought a set of new Mesa cabs. He was asking me about the difference in the V30's as he seen that I just acquired another set of early 90's Marshall Vintage types. So I was explaining to him what I know about the history and the four (possibly 5/6?) different types. Then I started getting confused myself lol.

So I am going to start out with what I have access to at this point in time, which is the two Marshall Vintage 16 ohm I just got. If anyone else wants to contribute here, please do. I want to get all this info straight and in one thread location. I did see elsewhere on the InnerWebZ the info Fryette amps posted. But they made no mention of the Mode 4 version/Hellatone 60L that have the extended low frequencies. I hope I am correct in assuming those are indeed the same. I have a quad of the 16 ohm Hellatone 60L packed away so can not get the numbers off of them. Also, I am trying to get the dimemnsions of the magnets as I read somewhere about bigger/smaller magnets between the V30 types.

As I understand it, the Marshall Vintage was the first and made by Celestion in the UK. around 1986. I have two of these in storage form around this period in the 8 ohm version, packed away of course lol. 16 ohm version of these is T3897.

Then they started offering the UK made V30 in the early 90's as well. This UK V30 then shifted to the China V30 around 2000. Both the UK and China 16 ohm model is T3904.

Please correct me if any of this is off. This one here is something I read online. I read that Mesa had Celestion create a special V30 in the mid 90's that was voiced differently. This speaker is slightly different than the ones they have made for them today. I do not know if there is a difference in T numbers?

Now on to the Marshall and Mesa UK made we find today in there respective cabs. I do not know the model numbers on these either. Or are they the same thing as the original Marshall Vintage T3897 16 ohm?

Now lastly, is the Mode 4 speakers V30MF 16 ohm T5321. I am figuring these are completely different than all I mentioned before, but the same as the Hellatone 60L. I thought I remember seeing the T5321 model number on my set of 16 ohm 60L's. These are voiced with extended lows.

So that actually makes five different types of V30. If you count the standard UK/China T3904 as two, then there is six different types.

I just measured the magnet dimensions on the two early 90's Marshall Vintage 16 ohm T3897. They both have the silver frame. Both magnets are .792". First one is June 17 1993 and the magnet diameter is 6.188". The second is May 6 1994 magnet diameter 6.125". Really not a huge difference in the outer size of the magnet.

I would like to compile more info on all this here in this thread if anyone else can chip in before I can get to my other V30 types . . . .

Neil Skene, BftGibson and Jon C like this.
  2. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

I have 90's, the vintage version, not a laser beam like and less harsh(great mix with jcm800 era gt75 in X pattern very x pattern (2).jpg balanced cab)and the newest version V30 very laser beam & harsher but used on every studio session i do, it just records right and sits where it belongs

3. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

From a thread you and discussed back in 2014

"T5321 16ohm G12 Vintage MF 28cn (28 March 2003)"

4. JTM1963

JTM1963 Member

The Marshall G12 8 ohms Vintage by Celestion in my '87 4001 Studio 15 is T3896.

5. RickyLee

Thanks BftGibson clutch71 and JTM1963 for supplying some info.

I am also curious on the magnet diameter on the new Chinese V30's if anyone can measure one. I have been reading about supposed smaller magnets on some V30's.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  6. RickyLee

Interesting on the recording differences. So I take it you prefer the Marshall branded for live use and room sound but the standard Celestion V30 for mic placement on recording?

7. BftGibson

actually both...what i like is the jcm era gt75 & vintage they blend..real well..i have green back and modern gt75&v30 cab set ups also, seems to be greenback=classic...jcm era mix=all around...modern mix-heavier stuff, The Vintage from early90's seems to be less directional and slightly less annoying..for home use..but in a studio the modern really sits there on top the bass,,the gt75's might be the key for me tho...the jcm800 era are 65 like and very good and the Vintage fills in the mid just right..i wouldn't be without those 3 dif cabs because it allows for 3 great marshall sound emphasis . The Vintage-older one by themselves.i did not like on its own in the bv cab..still too brite but not as brutal as the newer ones, The newer V30 did kick it well with a mesa & 5150iii so i would say it is def suited towards a modern sound. I will be using quite a few amps on the dif cabs in next 3 month and will note mic placement and amp settings..my studio guy mic's 3 dif speakers when we record and the dif is a lot more than people would realize..speakers absolutely matter in shaping your sound

Mitchell Pearrow and RickyLee like this.
  8. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I now count 8 different versions with the Framus version actually having a lead cone and not the "444" bass cone.
    The earliest V30 I've seen would be from 1985, an 8 ohm Marshall labeled version.

Marshall T3896(8) & T3897(16)
    ModeFour T5321
    Mesa T4335(8) & T4416(16)
    Celestion T3903(8) & T3904(16)
    Relic 30 T5489
    Vintage 30 T4297
    Bad Cat T5401(8)
    Celestion T5273(8) Framus

9. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm....I thought the Mode Four cabs had K100's?

10. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

^^There were two MF cabs...MF280 and MF400 I believe.

fifteenohms and Dogs of Doom like this.
  11. RickyLee

Excellent post.

I was wondering about the two Celestion types that come in the TSL 122 combos. I have one of those type stashed away, the "Heritage" model. The TSL OEM speakers have a different label and are "Marshall Celestion Vintage and Marshall Celestion Heritage". So is that "Vintage" one just a standard Chinese V30? Or another speaker model altogether? Then the "Heritage", I am wondering could just be a Chinese G12H-30 70th Anniversary?

12. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

I can't offer any specs but I know my Mesa and Marshall cabs, both loaded with V30s, sound very different. The Marshall is MUCH brighter.

Mitchell Pearrow and BftGibson like this.
  13. BftGibson

those 2 cabs together would sound great i bet

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

No specs to add here too. I have an early 70s 1982 cab I picked up cheap in the 90s unloaded. Loaded a quad of V30s from that time, pulled the two top v30s later for my 1x12 cabs. Loaded in the top the Heritage G12H-30 Anniversaries. This was before I knew of x patterns and experimenting with speaker configurations. Anyhow, I really like how that combo in that setup sounds. It works nicely with the old 4 holers. My 72 Major has been jacked into it for years, perfect marriage for my ears.

15. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

They do! I'm doing a W/D stereo rig using the Marshall 4x12 as the dry center and 2 Mesa 4x12s on either side for the Wet. Sounds killer.

Mitchell Pearrow, BftGibson and jmp45 like this.
  16. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

The Marshall Heritage is another proprietary design by/for Marshall. It is Marshall's pick for their version of the Celestion G12H(55) except beefed up to handle 70 watts.

I will also stay loyal to the original Marshall Vintage version no matter how many imitations come out.

The two compliment each other well.

17. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Interesting and informative thread RickyLee :)

I have only used the Marshall version from around the late 90's, and off the shelf V30's from the same period. The marshll ones were a "tiny" bit smoother with less hair on top, but I quite liked the regular version.
    I must add however, the regular V30s I had access to, all sounded a bit different. Some great, some thin and harsh.
    Don't know why. They were all working properly.

18. RickyLee

Whaaat?

So that speaker is a reworked G12H-30 55Hz?

I figured that speaker was just a lower end Celestion, along the lines of the 70/80 or those other lower end models they have.

Many many years ago, I had bought a used TSL 122 from a guy who had two brand new (made in early 2000's) G12T-75's in that 2X12 combo amp. He figured that was an upgrade over the two OEM speakers that amp came with. I partial trade/sold that amp to a guy for my first 2005 DSL 100.

19. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Adieu likes this.
  20. RickyLee

I am glad you gave me this info. I have one of those Heritage speakers stashed away, and I am now going to need to get it out and mix it into my speaker experimenting.