Celestion G12L with JTM45 Ceriatone

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Les Moore, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

Got a chance to buy a 412 Marshall cab with G12L´s in it. Planing to use it for my coming Ceriatone JTM45. Should I get get it?
    Have no idea what they sound like. Supposed to break up early (like that) and have good clean sound. Also supposed to be a Celestion budget model.
    I will be using this stack for blues, clean and metal coupled with my other amps (se below).
    Thanks for any input.

2. Les Moore

No one?

3. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

G12L-35s were in the first valvestate cab the 8412. Ive just sold mine. Note that it is a bit narrower than a full-sized cab/head

Here’s a small test that I made, micing three Celestion speakers, clean then dirty. First, the stock speaker from my DSL combo, then the G12L-35 in this cab, then a Vintage 30. I liked the G12L best.

John

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=674084&songID=7584966

4. Les Moore

What guitar and mics where in the test? Singel coil or humbuckers? Strat or Les Paul type?

5. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I think it was probably my Les Paul bridge pickup, a PAF type. The amp was the DSL401. the mic was a Shure PG57, closemiced just off centre - its a budget asian version of a Shure, but not a bad mic. The amp was at a medium loud home level - nowhere near band volume though.

Overall, I found these speakers to be very good for recording, but for live I found them a bit too mellow - more edge wanted, but they were really good as an extension under the combo, with a V30 in the combo

6. ant_riv

ant_riv Active Member

If you are talking about G12L-35s, they are amongst my favorite Celestions.

The G10L-35s came out in the 4x10 JCM cabs in the '80s, so I assume the G12Ls came out then also. I started using the G10Ls first and "discovered" the G12Ls later.

I like them because you can get that nice speaker "crunch" at a lower volume and speaker "distortion" is an important part of the "Marshall-sound" to me.

Yes they are inexpensive but I don't think that makes them cheap speakers.

As mentioned, though, if you need more clean headroom live, they might not work out as well due to the earlier breakup.

Hope this helps.

7. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with a G12L but the JTM45 is relatively "warm" sounding so consider that when you choose speakers. Greenbacks (or clones) are always good.