Celestion G12H 30 Watt 55 Hz Greenback - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by dptone5, Jun 24, 2019.

1. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Yes they are! Jim (@Scumback Speakers ) does excellent recones.

I have 4 of his recones, theyre just fine

2. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Active Member

I've been in contact with Jim. Not a knock on him at all, but the last one I bought in near new condition on eBay was plenty less than shipping one of mine to him, paying him to recone it and then paying for shipping back to me. Way less. I can't DIY this. The only local guy I know who can do it gets about $140 between parts and labor.

3. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

It’s true the shipping is really bad. I almost gave up on Scumback due to the high shipping. However, I had a shredded pair of 1972 g12h-55s done by him and they sound MUCH more like my original pulsonic speakers than the Heritage do. Maybe a bit more clear and extended highs, but the complex mids are there. I prefer the Scumback recones over any of the CP Celestions.

4. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Active Member

I'm just reconing/replacing these so I can sell the cab. I already got a Mojotone 4x12 and put WGS Invaders in it. That's my main cab now, want to sell the Marshall to recoup some of my costs.

5. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Better have Jim do it.

OCS redid a black 55hz RIC coned G12M I have unhsppily in my 2x12 combo -because it wasnt Kurt Muller coned.

Orange County Speaker is gone.

Up in the Avenues near Cedar was a reconing shack that looked like a Taco hut called Eddies Reconing - long story, great characters - but theyre gone and they were around since moving to LA in '47 from the original Oklahoma Electrovoice plant.

Jim is the goto-guy in reconing these days and its a 5-star job! I wonder though who can do this after were gone, too, because its a largely self-taught craft and you dont get any good at it unless you take the time.

6. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I’ve not tried Celestion heritage speakers mainly because the real things can be found cheaper if you’re patient. Also I don’t have 40 years to get them worn in properly that’s also my guess as to why they sound different . Celestion are making the heritage speakers as they did back in the day and others are making versions that sound like them with years of playing time on them .

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  7. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I have to disagree that the real thing is cheaper. Unless someone doesn’t know what they have, the real deal is almost twice the price. Believe me, I spend time every day looking. I bought a pair of heritage barely used for $300 USD a pair. I never see even one g12h-55 pulsonic for 300. And the pulsonic is worth it to me.

Metroman likes this.
  8. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

You obviously not in the UK then are you ?

9. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Consider Celestion speakers made for Black Cat Amplification.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

What makes the Heritage speakers sound different is not the time that passed on the old ones but the different cones they have. Celestion can make everything else as they did back in the day, except for the Pulsonic cones -which are gone forever.

11. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

Id get either the 25w, or the 65w Scumback H55 PVC.

I have 4 Pulsonic G12M 75hz, use them with a LTD ED Metropouos GMP45 head, and to my ear, Scumback makes the closest sounding speakers vs the Pulsonic Celestions.
    Be it 55Hz, or 75Hz cones.

I also agree with the above post about the Celestion 90w Creams. KILLER speakers, and to me, were great right out of the box, but do sound better with age. I also use 2 x 1 x 12 Creams with the Metro. I wish I would have bought 16k so I can mix them wiith the G12Ms.

Another really, really great speaker I like with the Metro, and Blackfaced/ODS mod 69 Dual Showman rvb are the 150w Celestion Redbacks.

Celestions answer to the EV 12L, and sounds like a Celestion. These need broken in, but are kind of like a 150w Cream, only Ceramic.
    I also put a Redback, and Cream in my 2001 Cyber Twin with fantastic results. I bought the amp new, and the Gt100s are still in tip top shape, though they are to dark, and raspy for my tastes, though they are ok.
    But if I wanted as close as possible to an original Pulsonic G12H/55Hz, Id go with the Scumback H55 25w, though Id get the 65w.

Scumback Speakers likes this.