Celestion G12H 30 Watt 55 Hz Greenback - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by dptone5, Jun 24, 2019.

1. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Yes they are! Jim (@Scumback Speakers ) does excellent recones.

I have 4 of his recones, theyre just fine

Metroman likes this.
  2. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Active Member

I've been in contact with Jim. Not a knock on him at all, but the last one I bought in near new condition on eBay was plenty less than shipping one of mine to him, paying him to recone it and then paying for shipping back to me. Way less. I can't DIY this. The only local guy I know who can do it gets about $140 between parts and labor.

3. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

It’s true the shipping is really bad. I almost gave up on Scumback due to the high shipping. However, I had a shredded pair of 1972 g12h-55s done by him and they sound MUCH more like my original pulsonic speakers than the Heritage do. Maybe a bit more clear and extended highs, but the complex mids are there. I prefer the Scumback recones over any of the CP Celestions.

Metroman likes this.
  4. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Active Member

I'm just reconing/replacing these so I can sell the cab. I already got a Mojotone 4x12 and put WGS Invaders in it. That's my main cab now, want to sell the Marshall to recoup some of my costs.

5. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Better have Jim do it.

OCS redid a black 55hz RIC coned G12M I have unhsppily in my 2x12 combo -because it wasnt Kurt Muller coned.

Orange County Speaker is gone.

Up in the Avenues near Cedar was a reconing shack that looked like a Taco hut called Eddies Reconing - long story, great characters - but theyre gone and they were around since moving to LA in '47 from the original Oklahoma Electrovoice plant.

Jim is the goto-guy in reconing these days and its a 5-star job! I wonder though who can do this after were gone, too, because its a largely self-taught craft and you dont get any good at it unless you take the time.

6. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

I’ve not tried Celestion heritage speakers mainly because the real things can be found cheaper if you’re patient. Also I don’t have 40 years to get them worn in properly that’s also my guess as to why they sound different . Celestion are making the heritage speakers as they did back in the day and others are making versions that sound like them with years of playing time on them .

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  7. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

I have to disagree that the real thing is cheaper. Unless someone doesn’t know what they have, the real deal is almost twice the price. Believe me, I spend time every day looking. I bought a pair of heritage barely used for $300 USD a pair. I never see even one g12h-55 pulsonic for 300. And the pulsonic is worth it to me.

Metroman likes this.
  8. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

You obviously not in the UK then are you ?

9. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Consider Celestion speakers made for Black Cat Amplification.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

What makes the Heritage speakers sound different is not the time that passed on the old ones but the different cones they have. Celestion can make everything else as they did back in the day, except for the Pulsonic cones -which are gone forever.

11. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

Id get either the 25w, or the 65w Scumback H55 PVC.

I have 4 Pulsonic G12M 75hz, use them with a LTD ED Metropouos GMP45 head, and to my ear, Scumback makes the closest sounding speakers vs the Pulsonic Celestions.
    Be it 55Hz, or 75Hz cones.

I also agree with the above post about the Celestion 90w Creams. KILLER speakers, and to me, were great right out of the box, but do sound better with age. I also use 2 x 1 x 12 Creams with the Metro. I wish I would have bought 16k so I can mix them wiith the G12Ms.

Another really, really great speaker I like with the Metro, and Blackfaced/ODS mod 69 Dual Showman rvb are the 150w Celestion Redbacks.

Celestions answer to the EV 12L, and sounds like a Celestion. These need broken in, but are kind of like a 150w Cream, only Ceramic.
    I also put a Redback, and Cream in my 2001 Cyber Twin with fantastic results. I bought the amp new, and the Gt100s are still in tip top shape, though they are to dark, and raspy for my tastes, though they are ok.
    But if I wanted as close as possible to an original Pulsonic G12H/55Hz, Id go with the Scumback H55 25w, though Id get the 65w.

mAx___, dptone5 and Scumback Speakers like this.
  12. grainman

grainman Well-Known Member

go get yourself couple g12-90watts and never look back....

dptone5 likes this.
  13. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

I went ahead and put a G12H30-55 in my 1912 and ran the Origin 50 on 5 watts for some rehearsals. A loud 5 watts! And actually, the "honk/kerrang" that I got, has got me bringing them back into play with a 2x12. I'm going to do a show with them, and that amp. I forgot how fun they sound. It's a fun sound

Metroman likes this.
  14. tidbit

tidbit Member

I'll tell you a true story. A shop abut 45-50 minutes away from my house was advertising on craigslist. In one of the photos they had some random head they were selling but it was sitting on top of an old Marshall cabinet. I was not happy with my Marshall cab loaded with G12T-75 speakers so I called the store up. It was an original 1982 cab from 1978. I asked about what speakers were inside of it and he graciously took the back panel off and sent me a few pictures. They were the original Marshall labeled Celestion G12H-30's (55) with T1281 cones. I told him I would be there in an hour.

With my 335 guitar and my 2203 head in tow, I proceeded to hit the road so that I could try it out. The cab had been sitting against the back wall for a month or so but it wasn't ever listed in the ads and it was never really "featured" in any pics.
    Anyway, when I got there we took the back panel off again to look at the speakers and, although the cab was whooped on pretty good, the speakers were in excellent shape.

To make a long story short, I plugged my guitar in to my head that was now on top of cab and played only three chords before I shut the whole thing down. The owner came running back up to me when he saw me putting my guitar away and said that I could play it as long as I wanted and even turn it up louder if I wanted to (I was on about 3 and a half). I told him there was no need. I heard enough.

With that I took my head and my guitar back to the car. Then I unloaded my 1960A cab and a few pedals, went back into the store and said to him "lets talk trade". The 1982 cab has been my main 4x12 ever since. These speakers kick some serious ass.

Four days ago I just picked up another attenuator and I wanted to try it out to see if it worked. My Marshall head was buried under a pile of gear that I had not put away since my last gig the weekend before so I pulled out my Orange Rocker 30 head that I have been neglecting since my last "punkish" band broke up a few years back when that bass player moved out of town. I used that amp with them exclusively, playing thru a 2x12 Mesa cab with v30's. I always used that cab because Orange amps are always paired with V30s.

The 2x12 was buried under some gear as well and I was too lazy to dig it out so, for the first time ever after years of owning the Rocker 30, I plugged it into the Marshall 1982 with the G12H30 speakers. That amp NEVER sounded so good. My jaw dropped. I felt like a bit of a fool since I had just never done that before in all of these years.

I do have a 1x12 with a reissue G12H30 and, though it's only a 1x12, I can still hear the heritage.

netlocal, mAx___, GIBSON67 and 3 others like this.
  15. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Blackback versions weren't too shabby either! ;)

16. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I finally dumped my two Heritage 55hz on a firesale at a local CL... The guy who bought it from me got a VERY GOOD deal... I really wanted to like it, but that nasally honk really puts me off...

17. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

My main rig for 18 years or so was a '78 2203 on a 76 1982A, small check..godly!!

GIBSON67 and tidbit like this.
  18. Scott Johnston

Scott Johnston New Member

[QUOTE="dptone5, post: 1842064, member: 10965:
    Not a fan of the V30. Have tried the Classic Lead 80, which was pretty good, and more recently the G12-65 Heritage. Although I like the sound of the G12-65 in my 2 x 12 cabinet when played in the room, I really don't like how it sounds recorded.
    [/QUOTE]

You're over thinking it. You are always going to get a better bottom end with a 4x12 than a 2x12, but in the end, do you like the sound.

If you have all those cabs, set you amp to all mid levels (or your favs), turn on the recording and then record each. Listen several times to each and decide. The work that set up. Rinse and repeat.

19. Victory Pete

Victory Pete New Member

I have many Marshall 4x12 cabinets options. 1960AX with G12M 25 watt, 1960BX with G12M 25 watt, 1960BX with G12M 20 watt, 1960HWA with G12H 30 watt 55hz, 1960HWB with G12H 30 watt 55hz, 1960A with G12T-75, 1960B with Relic 30 65 watt and a tall Marshall Angled 4x12 with 150 watt, not sure what model it is. I love having such a range of sounds. I do find the G12H speakers to sound a bit "nasally honk", but like them despite this. I usually use the 1960HWB 30 watt and 1960AX 20 watt in stereo with my 1987X and 1959HW for a great wide sound.

buddy7168 likes this.
  20. Teenagebrain

Teenagebrain New Member

It Been A 10 Year Search For Me And Marshall/Speaker Tone! I Have 2 Favorites So Far...”B” 4x12 Cab w/30watt 55hz Blackbacks(Muller Cones) and the “A” w/25watt 75hz Blackbacks(Mullers Also)...HOWEVER...The Other (not so) Shocking,Combo Is- “B” Cab w/ g12T-75’s(old logo) and the “A” Cab w/25watt 75hz Blackbacks(Muller)...All Played Through A ‘74 JMP 50w bASS⚡️❤️⚡️...As Always-The Search Continues⚡️⚡️!!!