Celestion G12H 30 Watt 55 Hz Greenback - Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by dptone5, Jun 24, 2019.

1. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of the G12M 25 Watt Greenback. My 1960BX is an amazing cabinet. I know that it is a 97 dB speaker. In my experience, it mixes really well with a broken-in G12T-75, which has the same sensitivity.

Not a fan of the V30. Have tried the Classic Lead 80, which was pretty good, and more recently the G12-65 Heritage. Although I like the sound of the G12-65 in my 2 x 12 cabinet when played in the room, I really don't like how it sounds recorded.

Been listening to and researching the G12H 30 watt 55 Hz Greenback. I like what I hear. I know it has a sensitivity of 100 dB, but I was wondering how it would mix with my G12M in the 2 x 12. I don't think I would like the 75 Hz version, as I like a bigger low end in my speakers.

So opinions please.....any experience with this heavy magnet Greenback? Whether you have it exclusively in a cab, or if you mix it with a G12M Greenback or other speaker.

Thank you my friends!

DP

netlocal, tce63 and paul hancher like this.
  2. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

i have them in my mg 4x12 cab at the moment. i like them alot! strange thing about them is i bought them to tame the highs in my origin 50 head but they actually have more highs than the speakers they replaced. i am thinking about putting a couple of the mg speakers back in to see what the mix sounds like. i thought that being a “bass” speaker they would have less high end but they do not.

i think you will like them! good luck!

dptone5, netlocal and tce63 like this.
  3. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I run a G12H-30 55 in my 2266c along with the standard G12C-25. Sounds great to me. :thumbs:

4. netlocal

netlocal Well-Known Member

I had a 2204 2x12 combo that came with G12M70 speakers, and I replaced them with the G12H30 55Hz speakers. The 30's were adequate, and an improvement over the 70's. But not mind blowing. The H30's are very loud. That 100db thing is noticeable. And they are heavy. I was playing in a really loud rock band and they got the job done. They seem to be built really solid and I like that especially for the kind of abuse I inflicted on them. Didn't really care for the G12M70's at all. Eventually got rid of that amp but kept the H30's as spares.

I had a 2061cx with the G12H30 75Hz the 'Anniversary' Chinese models. With the 2061x head, those speakers were very, very good. Head blew up (as in a cloud of smoke kind of blow up) three times so I parted with that rig, but I think those 75Hz models sound better than the 55Hz to my ears. But it might be because I really like the sound of an amp that's about to blow up (which it did again and again:hbang:).

I also like G12M25's and I really like the old late 1970's G1280's. Those things kill. These days I'm using a ORI50H with an JCM410C B cab. 'gold back' 10's. Primarily for their light weight.

Future rig downsizing might call for putting one of my spare H30's in a 1912 cab if I ever get one of those 20 watt heads. I'd like to try that. The 100db sensitivity could be an asset in that application.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    GIBSON67 and dptone5 like this.
  5. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

I Love them and use them in all my 4x12 Marshall cabinets. They play nice w/ my Marshall, Fender, Boogie, amps as well as various others.

Attached Files:

6. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

G12H30 55 HZ is the best Celestion Greenback ever! I have a BB mixed with 3 Marshall V30's in my 425A

netlocal and dptone5 like this.
  7. mAx___

mAx___ Active Member

The ones made till 1973 are the ones you want. Stamped T1281 or T1534 with Pulsonic 14 cones. Sell a kidney if you need to. :D

8. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I have a 2x12, with a M/H, mix and it is a great mix , if you getya head in close you hear a difference,and they mix in great volume wise , possibly one of the best speaker mixes, to do

dptone5 and netlocal like this.
  9. junk notes

junk notes Active Member

Now that is a great speaker combo. I'm guessing Plexi head?
    (Cool info behind the C's inception, too.)

Happy playing. :- )

dptone5 likes this.
  10. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the original 55hz or the Heritage? I have a pair of a well-broken in 55hz Heritage and I still prefer the Chinese greenies... I just cant get past the overly focused mid-honk of the Heritage... I find the chinese “woodier” sounding, which I prefer when I run it with my super lead clone...

dptone5 likes this.
  11. Georgiatec

Yeah, the "Heritage" as found in the 2061cx factory fitted are a different speaker. I'm referreing to the original Heavy magnet 30watt Greenbacks and their UK re-issues. I also run one solo in the Astoria dual. Have to be careful as it's a 30 watt amp with a thirty watt speaker. If using higher volume I use my Greenback loaded 1922 as well to give 80 watts total handling. The new 75w Creamback the Astoria comes with needs to be well broken in and sounds pretty harsh new.

dptone5 and fifteenohms like this.
  12. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Youre right about the harsh thing, but it finds its range in a month.

The cream 75 now thats one Id really like to try in a 55hz.

I have cabs with 2&2: 75's & V30's but the 30's have the gachunk but schizzle highs like the 75's

dptone5 and Georgiatec like this.
  13. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Well-Known Member

I am very happy with my V30s in my 1960AV 412....that said I am very much a novice, and made my speaker choice via Celestions website comparison, clicking-on & listening to the various speaker types....along with reading a multitude of reviews and information out there on the interwebs. I liked the Greenbacks well enough, too, and didn't really dislike any in any major noticeable ways, from recall.....my forced choice in the end, I simply had to pull the trigger on one of them. Had I not read the words of so many others, along with the basic outline of tibal differences as described etc, many of the actual real world subtleties would likely have gone right over my head, I reckon!!
    I love mine, as I said, but I believe, really, I'd have loved any others equally well..... with a nice new shiny 412 Marshall cabinet & with new DSL100 driving it, what's not to like for a nobly one with his first big-rig!!!
    In an ideal world, we'd have wall to wall cabinet choices and play through whichever one took our fancy that day.
    What's that you say???
    Some people on these very forums actually live that life!!??!!
    Man, I sincerely hope you enjoy those speakers, no matter what.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Robus and dptone5 like this.
  14. Georgiatec

I think those two are the perfect mix, even though the V30's are louder the amount of top and bottom added by the quieter 75's seems just about right.
    The cab still has the predominant mid thump of the V30's, but rounded off perfectly by the 75's

dptone5 and GIBSON67 like this.
  15. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

I wonder if the G12H-75 that came out a few years ago is a better pairing w the V30's.

16. Huskobar Cynotusk

Huskobar Cynotusk New Member

I have G12H Heritage 30 watters in both 16 ohm and 8 ohm versions. They sound MASSIVELY different. Like a totally different speaker.

The 16 ohm is very dark, and sounded horrible until I broke it in with 24 hours of 60 hz operating at near thermal limits. Cloudy, dark, and fizzy until broken in.

The 8 ohm version by comparsion has much sweeter mids, not nearly as fizzy, and didn't even require break-in to sound great.

I also have the Chinese Anniversary 16 ohms which are very upper midrangy, but in a good way. Wouldn't be good with a bright amp though.

The G12 Heritage 30 watt 75hz is a surprisingly great speaker...it adds a midrange grind like no other speaker I've ever heard, very lively...but this required the 24 hour break in with massive voltage to make it sound great. It was horrible out of the box. But it's not a bright speaker, and it's not a midrange spike like the V30...just a great grindy midrange aggression almost as if you were using a pedal. Great great speaker.

My favorite would have to be the Alnico Creamback 90 watters though...when broken in. But once you break them in...oh my lordy do they sing.

fifteenohms and dptone5 like this.
  17. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have several Celestions including the Heritage G12H55hz. It oozes quality as does the whole Heritage series.

I think its a hard question for anybody to answer when factoring in that some speakers excel with certain amps along with everybody perceiving tone differently.

A speaker collection along with a few cabinets is an investment that is worth it to me. My screw gun stays charged and my soldering iron is never far away.

netlocal, Boxtrot56 and dptone5 like this.
  18. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Best guitar speakers out there , grab em while you can .

19. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That’s what I have in my 2-12” cab, V30/G12H-75
    It seems to be a much better and fuller tone than the V30 alone. I had a G12H-65 in my Splawn Street Rod combo and that was very nice as well. I’m not sure what the difference is between them, but I would take either one over the V30.

20. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Active Member

If anyone has a spare G12H 30w (55Hz) in 15 ohms, I still need one. I blew two in my AHW 100w cab and they're not cost effective to recone.