Celestion G12evh Vs Re-issue Greenback

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by jgab, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

thanks sg-guy.but here we go again with h and m and......lol. maybe if I word it differantly.can anyone tell me if my marshall ax cabinet has the same speakers as an EVH 4-12 cab ?Do i dare ask what speakers are in the evh 2-12 cab !

SG~GUY likes this.
  2. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Ok , so as I understand Marshall ax cabs are loaded with ' standard ' greenbacks , the 25w medium magnet made in China version greenbacks . Evh 4x12 cabs are loaded with re-labeled made in England medium magnet ' heritage ' version greenbacks . The EVH 2x12 cab is loaded with re-labeled heavy magnet 30w 'anniversary ' celestions . Hope this makes sense .

SG~GUY likes this.
  3. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

The speakers in the EVH 2x12 cabs aren't re-labeled, they're just straight up Celestion speakers. Perhaps we should start referring to these speakers by their full name to avoid confusion (between G12M & G12H, medium & heavy magnets). I say that because G12H speakers come in more than just one wattage rating (G12H-75, G12H-80, G12H-100).

• Marshall 1960AX/BX: Celestion G12M-25 speakers.
    • EVH 4x12: EVH re-labeled Celestion G12M-20 Heritage speakers.
    • EVH 2x12: Celestion G12H-30 70th Anniversary speakers.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    SG~GUY likes this.
  4. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

appreciate the info ufoscorps,all the responses really are helping to get a handle on whether or not the evh cab is the same speakers as I already have in the marsh ax cab.My speakers in the ax cab say made in england?Can they possibly say made in england but are actually china?I noticed the same thing in my 425a vint modern cab. speakers say made in england but my internet research says only the jimi hendrix model g12c speakers are made in england and the vint modern g12c are china?wtf!

SG~GUY likes this.
  5. Squidhunter

Squidhunter Active Member

The G12m 25w use to be made in England not so long ago so you have a cab thats a few years old. They are still not the same speakers as the EVH Heritage G12m. Dont know about the G12c.

SG~GUY likes this.
  6. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-the speaker's that came with the Marshall AX/BX cab's are CELESTION G12 M GREENBACK's-(standard greenbacks, no, they are not the same speaker's as the EVH 4X12 cab, or the VM, or the JH cab's)-

-the VINTAGE MODERN & HENDRIX G12C GREENBACK's are one in the same and not the same as the G12M GREENBACKS in your AX cab-(and if my feeble memory is correct the HENDRIX G12C GREENBACK's are made in jolly ole England, but the G12C GREENBACK's are/were made in China)-

-the EVH GREENBACK's are the exact same speaker as a CELESTION HERITAGE GREENBACK, what adds to the confusion is the "H" designation, in this case the "H" does not mean Heavy magnet, it is a "M" -(medium)-magnet. But it is not the same voiced speaker as your AX cabs "M" greenback's.

-the place of manufacturing is on the sticker that is on the magnet, and is of little importance now a days if you ask me, to all that play with there ear's and not there eye's anyways, i actually prefer the chinese 55hz GREENBACK's to the later English ones!..but some still are hung up on it

7. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-my favorite cp greenback is the Chinese 55hz-(these speakers come stock in the MARSHALL AHW & BHW CABS)-and I'm willing to buy or trade for some if anyone has some,
    -my second favorite cp greenback is the G12C GREENBACK's that come in the HENDRIX & VINTAGE MODERN cab's, again I would buy or trade for some.
    -my third favorite cp greenback is the G12H EVH or Heritage greenback, again I would buy or trade for some.

-(GREENBACK's are like sex & pizza, they're all great, especially if ya get more than one at a time)-

8. HotRats73

HotRats73 Active Member

thats it!
    evh knows how to sell his name too. he's a smart guy.

SG~GUY likes this.
  9. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

Where would you rank the G12M-25 Blackbacks from the mid to late 70's?

SG~GUY likes this.
  10. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

you notice the low fi pots in the EVH pedals?
    or are they just RE LABELLED hot pots?

how can you cut out all noise and still be using THE SAME SPEAKERS as a STOCK 35 year old speaker?

must be re-labelled hot pots in the wah ...... what was I thinking when I saw them?
    I'll get out the sharpie and label them correctly. ;)

SG~GUY likes this.
  11. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

thanks all ,one other quest.so then is the evh speaker the same as whats in the marshall hw handwired cab?

12. Squidhunter

Lol......no its not.....the 1960HW cabs have the G12H Heritage 30watt 55HZ it commonly gets confused with the G12H 30watt Anniversary.

SG~GUY likes this.
  13. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

I know Im getting old but....pardon my senility so...does ANY marshall cab come stock with the same speaker as the evh?hoping theyre may be a light at the end of this funhouse tunnel!Last question for a while as Im getting fatigued and Its almost time for my geritol /ensure chaser and a nap!

SG~GUY likes this.
  14. Squidhunter

No, the only cab marshall have with a 20watt made in England greenback speaker is the 1974cx only that particular speaker is exclusive to the 1974 amp as it has been specifically doped and aged.
    No need to apologise, celestion have the most confusing product model names out there!

SG~GUY likes this.
  15. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I love um!.. And I have some!! Both 55hz & 75hz, ya got some for sale keennay!!!

16. Buzzard

Buzzard Member

so is the evh speaker a new design or based off speakers in one of his vintage cabs?

17. Squidhunter

G12 EVH is the same speaker as a G12M Heritage greenback just with his Frankenstein graphics.

SG~GUY likes this.
  18. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge those are Heritage G12H 55HZ and are made in the UK

SG~GUY and Squidhunter like this.
  19. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-i think your right clutch, I love them speaker's!!!

20. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

buzzard, none of these EVH speakers are like his old speakers. he's used multiple brand speakers throughout the career.
    each time an artist changes to another phase, they change what they are using. we call that 'upgrades'.
    even I knew from the other side of the planet, that in the 80's eddie wasn't even using celestions.
    it seems around here, guys have been swappin out the labels, so i recon they've been getting out the glue. ;)

you should now make sure that the labels are all original EVH labels when you get them.
    maybe, you could also do a snif test for some fresh glueing going on in the back of the cabs.
    IF EVH speakers seem a bit too advanced in technology for you, then tryout the 5150 speakers and get a sound which is closer to a stock speaker, and closer to a vintage speaker design.
    EVH product is ALL high tech and not for guys who THINK they know about them. don't go ripping off labels cause you'll get drunk on the glue vapours.
    eddie had been using those 5150 speakers for at least 15 years so by NOW there should be no nasty comments about ANY EVH speaker. Guys should really be familiar with ALL this stuff by now, but SOMEHOW guys are still fighting eddie and his upgrades to BASIC product.
    some people just seem to NEVER leave eddie alone. give it a rest guys! eddie isn't a threat to you or your unique sound!