Celestion G12 Gold (S303) 200 Watt

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Machine Head, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Member

Does anybody here have this speaker as well? It's the one in the 30th Anniversary combo and the 6912 cab.

I'd like to hear opinions about it.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Member

I'm surprised that nobody here seems to have or to know this speaker. Well, in this case a sample of how it can sound may be of interest. I did a quick recording of it and of other speakers to get an idea.

It's nothing scientific, just a pocket recorder with a stereo condenser mic placed 60 cm in front of the cabs at a height of 10 cm. The Gold speaker is in a 1x12" cab while the other two speakers are mounted in 2x12" cabs.

The guitar was recorded into a looper connected to the JVM1 amp. Then the recorded signal went into the power amp of the JVM1 and to each of the mentioned cabs.

In the following audio file you can hear the speakers in the following order: Celestion Gold (S303), Celestion G12T-75, Celestion Vintage 30

JVM1-Gold S303-75-V30 by <Machine Head> on SoundCloud - Hear the world

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Active Member

Looked into buying a used one for not too much. I thought Celestion trying to make an EV type speaker was interesting, read some reports, and they basicly said it didn't sound like either brand, which put me off somehow. Sample sounds very nice though.

4. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Good tests. That S303 sounds crisp indeed! And the 75 and V30 references sound like they had the usual differences that we expect.

If the mics were 10cm off the floor, did that put them at different heights relative to the speaker cones within the cabs? - and might that have made a difference?

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Member

Yes, there was a difference in height for the V30 as they sit at a higher distance from the floor in the 1936. But then the mic was 60 cm away from the cab and therefore also room resonances plays a role. In the end you get the impression of how they sound with that particular sound chain and amp settings. It's just one recorded example and as usual it would sound different with another mic, mic position, pickup, amp settings, etc.

The recording chain of the above audio clip was:
    ESP (SD Screamin Demon Humbucker) - JVM1 - TC Flashback looper. Then TC FB looper - JVM1 - the 3 mentioned cabs - Boss Micro BR through the optional condenser stereo mic.

If you want to hear other examples of this speaker you'll find also the following audio files in my SoundCloud link.

File "Funky Rhythm Song" - Recording chain:
    Fender Tele (American Tele Single-Coil) - Dunlop 535Q (solo guitar only) - MXR Super Comp - JVM1 (Rhy Guitar with Clean Channel, Solo guitar with OD Channel) - 1x12 Marshall 6912 (with S303 speaker) - Sennheiser e606 - Focusrite ISA One -> digitally into DAW.

File "Nothing to Lose" (Record of 1999) - Recording chain:
    ESP (SD Screamin Demon Humbucker) - Digitech GSP2101 (Pre-amp and effect unit) - Mesa Boogie 2:90 - two Marshall 6912 cabs -> Sound engineer took over -> 2x Shure SM 57 - studio recording channel - Studer tape machine. The record was recorded and mixed on tape.

Speaking of differencies, this speaker is a completely different build type compared to the other Celestions. Here are some pic I found on the net. Note its big magnet, in fact the cab is quite heavy. Big magnets are more accurate in reproducing the low end frequencies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Geez! That sure is one big-assed mutha of a magnet! I like her already.

7. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I've never tried that speaker, but i know that the only speaker that sounded good in my 1x12 50 watt combo was a cast frame speaker with a smooth cone just like that one, nice!

8. ledfree

ledfree New Member

Bump. I have just been offered one of these, and I was wondering what sort of $£ do these command?

9. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

:bump:

I know it is a very old thread, but I have not heard or seen anything on these in quite a while. Personally, I think they were great speakers so what happened with them? Too expensive and other alternatives available? Just curious and sorry to wake the dead here this morning ;)

10. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

I just caught up with the sound tests of the cream alnico 90 and that thing sounds like an anal polyp.

11. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Active Member

Lovely.