Caster Base

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Dogs of Doom, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Ok, so, recently, I picked up some casters for my '70s cab. The cab was in a road case & I never took it off the case's base, w/ rollers. Today, my thought was to get the rollers & install them.

The rollers came w/ the plastic bases, but, the cab has the pop metal ones installed. So, I flipped the cab, installed the 1st one no problem, screwed it right in, then looked at the next & obviously, the stud is broken off in the base. So, looking at the rest, they all have that same fate.

Has anyone ever gotten the studs out? I'm sure there's a way, but, I'm hoping that maybe someone has the most efficient method.

I'd like to keep the metal ones that came w/ the cab, rather than just discard them.

I remember someone said, in my other caster thread (where I bought them), that the newer ones are ½" taller? I notice that these have a nut, on the stud, & that the plastic bases have a nook, for that nut to go into. I'm guessing that I just need to remove the nut & it will fit flush on the new casters...

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

So, I have all the casters installed w/ the plastic bases. 1 screw holding the old base I had to dremmel out, because it was shot.

The bases are gold painted.

I can see, that, if I want to use these castors w/ the old bases, that I need to fabricate an O spacer ring, about 1/4"-3/8" thick, so that the weight will be distributed more evenly & not prone to sheer off at the stud, like the old 3, that's remnants were left behind.

That nut, is connected to the stud & joined/inset to the caster, on the male side base.

Still open for ideas to get the stud remnants out, if anyone's ever done that. I'm thinking of putting some liquid wrench type loosener in there before I try it. I'm thinking that there's those bits that are made to do this?