Carvin Audio Factory Closing

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by wakjob, Oct 10, 2017.

1. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

Why don't we make tubes? It's probably because besides us guitar players, and that number is shrinking, and audiophiles, no one wants them. I guess the Chinese are willing to fill that tiny little piece of the market. How much would a 12AX7 cost if made in USA? Probably ten times as much as a 9 dollar chinese tube.

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

my point, I guess, is that Japan is the stepping stone, in many cases. Probably because they are a bit more innovative. I remember in the '80s, thinking what a mistake everybody was making shipping their guitar designs overseas. Now, look at the debacle. When you buy an import of an import, it's hard to tell what's what. Buy an Ibanez, Squier, etc., it depends on what year & what factory. Now, they've been moved all over, it's hard to keep up.

SonVolt likes this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

exactly my point. Same w/ steel, glass, electronics of all kinds...

4. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

The Chinese Gvmnt has an agenda to try to be the world's greatest/main manufacturer, don't ever doubt that.

5. Dogs of Doom

&, we used to have that same aspiration, but we haven't had it in a long time...

6. el_bastardo

So what?

7. el_bastardo

Maybe Carvin could have stayed viable if they had focused on having more of a presence in the industry. You never see Carvin stacks, they don't backline at concerts, they don't line the floors of music shops, besides that lame ass Vai no one plays them, etc.

8. GIBSON67

So what, it's not all the Americans fault...we are just taking the bait. But wait until they set the hook!

9. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Let's get back to original topic... who's got hotter lady boys, Japan or China.

10. el_bastardo

So you think China made American corporations greedy and American workers lazy and entitled?

11. el_bastardo

Definitely Japan.

Wait, I mean, I don't know, that's gross!

CharvelFan likes this.
  12. GIBSON67

Anyway, back on topic since everything I type and have erased seems very political...all apologies.

13. CharvelFan

CharvelFan Well-Known Member

Great point. I would have purchased one but I rarely ever saw them for sale.

14. Dogs of Doom

they were factory direct only. Back in the late '80s, they tried opening their own few stores, but, they had a hard time competing w/ all the Guitar Centers opening up at the time.

They'd open up a store & GC would quick move in across the street. Back then, GC made it a mission to put all mom & pop shops out of business too. I remember being at a local store & some guy walked in, all important & made a scene. Once he had everyone's attention, he said;

"I just came in here today to offer you all a job. We are opening up a new Guitar Center in town & we are going to put you out of business."

& they did...

15. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

The problem with China isn't so much China it's the American companies that are the issue. Once the Gov opened the door to trade with China it was all over for US manufacturing. China being willing to exploit this rush of investment ( which would provide for their rapid economic and military propulsion into the first world) just sat back and let it all flow in. The decisions to move there were made by the companies.
    I am sure the lure of China was the ability to go from a profit ratio of around 25 cents on the dollar in the US to 75 cents or more in China.

China is not dumb. Boeing is considering moving their commercial plane manufacturing there. The Chinese gov is chomping at the bit because the state automatically assumes 50% ownership and get to acquire all of the intellectual property. For China, American greed has been a win-win.

wakjob and GIBSON67 like this.
  16. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

25% off is considered liquidation? All sales final no returns, no warranty, no support.... no wonder they're going belly up....

17. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

They really didn't take our jobs we gave them away because we like cheap crap. Sears used to sell stuff made in America . It will never be the same.
    I think Carvin had seen a decline for quite a while . It's a shame but there are lots of reasons why . Dozens of custom tube amp builders and Thousands of hand made DIY amp builders . Most of them trying to build Marshall tone. The 18 watt was being built in a frenzy at one time. Big amps are less desired and modeler/profiler are becoming status for pro's .

liontato and EndGame00 like this.
  18. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I had a solid state for a short time just before I bought a tube amp. Average joe can't tell the difference between a tube amp and a solid state.
    I still want a couple of their amps.

19. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Good point. I always thought the same.

I am a huge Carvin Fan. It was a sad moment when I heard they were closing the amp business. I was wondering what the hell was going on over there since nothing major new came out the last few years. I’ve talked to so many people about Carvin. Real guitar players. Many times I’d get the deer in the headlight look.

The good about the brand is pretty awesome. I’ve owned and or still own a V3, V3M, MTS3200, X100B V16, Legacy 1, Legacy 3 and a mix of cabs. The V3 is one hell of an amp. More Mesa than Marshall but still had its own vibe. For 1/2 the price of a Mesa dual rectifier you would get every bit the equal in quality. Even had built in midi. The X100B oozes vintage goodness. V3M is a great 50W lunch box . I could go on and on. Great US built stuff. They also fixed my X100b reissue (just) out of warranty for free a couple of years ago. Just a great innovative company, now gone. That sucks. These guys did power reduction modes in the 80s. Their fx loops are quiet. They were shrinking amps long before it became the trend. I hope someone buys their intellectual property but I doubt it. They probably tried to sell.

I always thought they should have developed one amp line for the traditional retail market to expand their fan base. Unfortunately, I don’t think they are the last to go. I look at a great guitar company like Heritage out of Kalamazoo and wonder how they stay in business.

RIP Carvin. You will be missed!

Harlequin tusk, anitoli and GIBSON67 like this.
  20. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I have a WAY off topic about China and the business that I'm in, but I'll save it for another time.

But, when I flew out to San Diego back in '95, I took a day to go visit the Carvin mothership.

It was just me, 21 yrs. old at the time, and a middle aged dude that could play circles around me in the sound room. The MTS amps were their top dog back then, and we played everything they had there.

We both agreed, the little 50 watt 1x12 SS combo pretty much slayed.