Cant Get A Good Lead Tone? Please Help.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Harold D, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Harold D

Harold D New Member

Hi there. I’ve purchased a silver jubilee mini combo 3 months ago and cannot manage to find a a lead sound. Bought it after watching Anderson’s demo on YouTube.I’ve been playing for 6years now and have had a fender superchamp and black star ht5. I watch YouTube videos of people with great smooth lead guitar sounds and some are just using a Marshall mg, fender mustang or similar. I thought by buying the jubilee that it would be easier to get a good lead sound, but no luck( I’ve never had a good lead sound and it is quite boring trying to play rock leads ie rory Gallagher with a generic clean sound. I am thinking of selling the amp and maybe trying to get a clean amp and try pedals.
    I’m playing a fender Stratocaster hss.
    I’m really sick of changing amps. I just want a good lead tone.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Harold

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

The Jube has its own tone and maybe its not for you.
    I've owned them and sold 'em.
    I'm getting great lead tone from my Marshall Origin 50 with Barber Direct Drive Compact OD.
    Strictly a Strat player now but it was excellent with Les Paul too.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

What have you done so far?
    What are you after? You mention smooth. The Jubilee should be smooth.
    Use the humbucker pickup. Try Lead Channel with gain to like 8 - 10. Keep the bass near 5 or more, mids around 6. It shouldn't matter if you are on low or high power or really, what volume. That amp should be smooth and thick.
    If you were going to use pedals you might as well keep the Jube and try with that.
    Do you have any effects loaded? That might affect tone.
    As Sly mentions above, it just might not be your thing but a Jube should be smooth and thick and sustaining.

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, I don’t have a Jube, but what I do know about my Marshall’s is to turn the gain down, and push it with an OD, or an EQ pedal, and you should be able to dial in what you are looking for! Cheers

tce63 likes this.
  5. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Ok, maybe try dialing everything on 7 , except for the gain =10 and the volume (s) on 5 and up and see how that works . Keep these settings for both channels , this should be better . Also stick to the hi wattage setting .

6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

You didn't like this guys lead tone.? Settings are shown.

BP

7. Jethro Rocker

Jubes really don't need to be pushed at all. I do NOT have the combo, I have the Mini head and an original 87 2x12 combo. Keep the gain up to keep it thick. It thins out some when gain gets to 7 or less.

8. Jethro Rocker

I keep my 2558 on high but with the Mini and it's method of power reduction I don't really find a difference. ?
    OP should either way get a very good lead tone out of a Jubilee.
    Perhaps he has some effects in the loop sucking tone, we don't know.

9. El Gringo

That could very well be a likely culprit . I run all the pedals thru the front and hate any pedal that sucks tone as that will not work for me . Also worth mentioning is the importance of enough volume as these Marshall's have to be on 5 at the very least to open up and start breathing . Seriously !

tce63, BanditPanda and Jethro Rocker like this.
  10. El Gringo

So true and that is one of the best features IMHO !

11. Jethro Rocker

Agreed! But he should still be able to get a reasonable smooth as he calls it lead tone at less volume.
    I dunno what's up..

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

The only Marshall I ever dimed the gain on was a 2104, when I first got the 40c’s I tried this method and I was in for a shock! That’s the reason I suggested to back off the gain, plus my inexperience with a Jube hope the OP gets his amp sorted out! Cheers

tce63 likes this.
  13. Jethro Rocker

Yeah the 40C on Ultra 2 has waaaaay more gain than a jubilee. I use the loop and have no tone suck issues. Maybe OP will weigh in soon.

14. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Rory Gallagher is a average blues tone. I can't tell if he is using Reverb but that was and probably still is a technique the used in the studio. I have a Bugera V22 and very recently I found that slow blues lead tone I was looking for. Many people here have said a small amount of delay in the loop , reverb and a clean boost. After dialing the right amount of gain , usually a bit less than you would think.

15. El Gringo

The OP should at least expierence this wonder of an amp with a decent amount of volume to get acquainted with the sonic wonders of the sound !

16. Jethro Rocker

@Harold D , let us know what you have done so far? Are there effects involved? Etc.please
    You mention a "generic clean sound". That is NOT a Jubilee in Lead channel

17. Harold D

Harold D New Member

Thanks everyone for the reply’s. I actually love the jubilee sound that I have heard from other people on YouTube. The problem is that I cannot recreate the same sound or even close myself. Have yet to hear that warm driven sound. I have cranked it but it just sounds very harsh and not musical, definitely not warm. I like all lead sounds ie slash, ac/dc, led zep, David Gilmour etc
    The only pedals I have are a looper pedal and hof reverb both of which are true bypass.
    The best sound I have gotten has been on the 5 watt setting and clean but nothing amazing and as for a lead sound it has been hopeless. I presume it must be something I am doing or not doing.
    In all the years I have been playing I have never gotten a lead sound of any kind that wasn’t harsh / unusable. I was hoping that upgrading to this amp would sort that issue out but so far no luck.
    All I want is to be able to loop a nice clean sound and solo over it with a warm thick driven sound.
    I will try all the above suggestions and see if I can resolve this. Thanks again.

18. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I have not played a jubilee combo. On the full sized amp if you put a delay in the loop and a tubescreamer upfront you have one of the best lead tones ever.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  19. Jethro Rocker

Hmmm. Settings?
    Possibly the speaker? Not having played the combo version. Maybe even a screwy tube be it V1 or power tubes.

20. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I will tune in some settings tomorrow on my 2525C that in my ears sound great, booth with LP and single coils and send you some PM with the settings i use, in Sweden now a little late, but you will have it tomorrow.
    I think the 2525C is a great amp but the EQ is very Sensitive and its take a little time to dial it in.