Cabs/speakers for ENGL Blackmore

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Jimb0, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Jimb0

Jimb0 New Member

Question for those who have tried or owned one of these bad boys:
    Say you have an empty 2x12 - what speakers would you get?

Tried 2 V30s with it and it sounded nasal, hollow, harsh. After that I got a Celestion Redback that sounded much better, but it's an 8 ohm speaker and I want to get two 16 ohms to wire them in parallel for a total 8 ohms. I know the Greenback is a far better sounding speaker than the V30 for the Blackmore, but being just 25 watts each, better not go down that road.

Share your suggestions/experiences!

2. Jimb0

Jimb0 New Member

Anyone?

3. harleytech

harleytech Well-Known Member

Why not just get a ENGL cab ?
    2x12 or 4x12.. ?

4. Jimb0

Jimb0 New Member

The ENGL 2x12 has Vintage 30s and I really don't like them that much with this amp (yeah, it seems contradictory, but true). I need something a bit more controlled in the midrange. The Redback was much better. But instead of buyng two 16 ohm Redbacks right away, I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.
    Also, I already have a Laney IRT 2x12 box, light and neat.

5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I’m not a fan of V30’s either but try this: replace just 1 speaker in the cab you want that has the V30’s with a G12h/75 (75w CB) Or maybe a Redback if you like them. My fav 2-12” cab is a V30 & 75w Creamback now. Peavey has a 2-12” cab with this same setup in it that is very nice.

If you know what you like in Eminence they are the best deal. They have a very nice 2-12” cab for $200 and if you buy the speakers from them they will install them for free. I have one of these cabs and love it, I just ordered the 1-12” just like it also.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  6. Jimb0

Jimb0 New Member

I prefer Celestions. Eminence speakers are good, but they tend to have a particular texture in their sound that I'd rather avoid right now. Maybe another cab in the future, possibly with Texas Heat as I suspect would sound great with the Engl. Right now I have a Redback and a Celestion/Marshall labeled G12T. They both sound great on their own, but the Redback overpowers the G12T completely. I just want to try a new pair for sake of diversity, preferably 16 ohm speakers this time.

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Another "set" that I'm working with now that you might like is the 65w & 75w Creambacks together. I'm using that Eminence 2-12" cab with the two CB's in it, so far it's pretty good. I can't really recommend it yet though because they are new and not broke in, they do seem to like a Marshall type sound though. (Although I'm hoping they will work good with a Mesa TC100) They are getting better but time will tell. I just ordered the 1-12" cab from Eminence too, to do some single speaker testing and then see what works with what. I also have a couple new WGS speakers to test, a Retro 30 and a ET65. These are supposed to be like a V30 and CB but I'm not so sure yet. If you really like the Redback I would call Cel. and see what speaker is voiced the same but with a little earlier breakup and try that. In any event that empty cab Eminence has is a great deal and can be run open or closed back and stereo or mono. I put side handles in mine for moving around.

Attached Files:

8. Jimb0

Jimb0 New Member

That cab looks pretty good!
    Yeah, I might get in touch with Celestion and see what they suggest.
    The Creamback 65 has been under my radar but haven't had the opportunity to test it. The Creamback 75 might be too in the same ballpark as the V30 in the sense that it's a more mid-forward speaker, although very punchy which is good. But perhaps a bit too bright. Other speakers I've been thinking are the Heritage G12-65 and the Greenback (although I'm not too comfortable using 2x25 watts with a 100 watt head even though it's only for home playing/recording). By all accounts, the Engl seems to like the Greenback voicing or darker voiced speakers in general.

9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

They say the 65w CB is like the GB, I have not seen that yet. The 75w CB is brighter and has a better midrange, it seems to work best with another speaker though. You may find the RB and one of the 65w CB's a good pairing, then if you prefer one over the other you could just get 1 more for 2 of the same. I found the RB to be a very bright articulate speaker something like the 75w CB. A buddy of mine had one that someone had replaced in his Carvin combo, that came with an 300w EV speaker new so we thought they were trying to keep it super clean. (Which it will do) I'll be getting that speaker back for testing but it won't do you much good right now. I to like the GB's with Marshall type tones, but your right it's dangerous with any real power. I'm using that 2-12" Peavey cab w/ GB's with my new Chupacabra 50w amp, sounds great. Let us know what Cel. says if you talk to them, should be interesting.

Jimb0 likes this.
  10. Jimb0

Jimb0 New Member

Funny, I didn't find the Redback a bright speaker at all. It has a very detailed extended top end, but the midrange is very controlled, especially those cutting high-mid frequencies we tend to associate with bright speakers. It certainly feels much darker than the V30s I had, which is a great thing with the Blackmore head, I find. The Celestion people say the Redback is kind of a darker version of the CB H-75 and even though I've only listened to the CB through videos and clips, I tend to agree.
    I'll see what Celestion have to say and share any feedback.

ampeq likes this.
  11. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I have a Blackmore. I tried with G!2
    I have a Blackmore head matched to an Engl Standard 4x12 with stock V type speakers. The cab is really broken in and sounds great. These cabs have so-so reviews. I was buying the cab purely as a platform for some U.K. G12M Greenbacks I had. I don’t know what the complainers are bitching about the standard cab. The seller raved and when I got it home I was genuinely surprised how good it sounded. I bought it from a touring musician really cheap who used the hell out of it. Rather than immediately get the tools out and open the cab I decided to sleep on it. That was a couple of years ago. Still have it set up that way. I didn’t see the need to swap the speakers since.

I also have a couple of other 4x12s. If you want a classic vintage tone, G12M greenbacks work well. I have a Carvin 4x12 that I put the U.K. G12Ms in and the Marshall 1960AX with Chinese G12Ms. Both Awesome. BTW, no problem with the speakers being rated 100W in a 4x12 (25x4) mated to a 100W head in my lifetime. I decided to match the Carvin 4x12 to my Engl SE and the Marshall to the JVM. I run the Blackmore through the greenback cabs often as well when I want to really nail a classic rock tone.

‘I’ve tried V30s, Creambacks and G12T-75s as well. I have an Engl Pro 2x12 with stock V30s. Sounds great. I think all worked but greenbacks is the safe choice.

If I had only one choice, I would vote for G12M Greenbacks. I use the Blackmore for and set it up for classic rock tones. The Blackmore can get that JMP through JCM800 2203/4 sounds all day long. No problem. I usually play a strat or Les Paul. I’ve seen guys use it as a metal amp. I don’t use it that way.

I’ve had the amp 5-6 years so let me know if you have specific questions.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Jimb0 likes this.
  12. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP:
    Hello.

I love Engl amps. I'm a fan of the Powerball, Steve Morse model, and Blackmore model, though there are other great models in their product line.

If you're sticking with Celestion, I'd say either Creamback 65, Creamback 75, or G12C (G12C are found in the Marshall 425 series cabs that accompanied the Vintage Modern series as well as the Vintage Modern combos.)

Not sure if you can find the G12C by itself from Celestion or some other dealer, but the 425 cabs are amazing and I'm sure would give your amp a well-rounded tone.

Creambacks have a lot of the same qualities as the G12C, but with more headroom and power rating. If I were looking for a powerful greenback-type speaker, I'd go with Creambacks. If I wanted a little less headroom, then the G12C.

Deep Purple fan and Jimb0 like this.
  13. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

Fane F70
    Fane F90
    2 Redbacks
    Scumback H55 PVC 65w
    Rawson Sparfield Cresendo A DG12A... Super Clean, and Clear.

Jimb0 likes this.