Cabinet/external Speaker For Vs265

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Ironsound, Aug 12, 2018 at 5:42 PM.

1. Ironsound

Ironsound New Member

I recently unearthed my old trusty vs265 from my parents basement that i thought had been sold or thrown away ages ago. Having collected dust for a decade it still sounds mint and im in love with it 2nd time around.

Now my economy and apartment allows for something bigger so im looking to extend the rig with another 2x12.

Im looking for a cabinet that goes well with it. The vs212 that was originally the best fit afaik, is neigh impossible to find 2nd hand(Here in norway). The vs265 has dual 12 inch goldbacks.
    Seeing the 1922, 1936, jvmc212, mx212 all seems to fit the bill(to my untrained eye). But im unfamiliar with the celestion g12 aswell as what the difference in wattage and resistance will practically imply.

1. Prio is a speaker that will work well soundwise.
    2. Prio same sizing dimension with fitting grooves for stackable stability.

Any experienced input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 6:18 AM
  2. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Active Member

I believe your amp is stereo so it’s 65w per side? I don’t know what your gold backs are rated at but for total wattage handling you take the lower watt speaker and multiply by the number of speakers. For example - let’s say your Goldback’s are rated at 100w each and you added a 2x12 stereo cab with G12M-65 Creamback’s at 65w each. Your total wattage handling, per side, is 65x2, or 130 watts. Still plenty of room.

However, if your 2x12 cab had 25w Greenbacks then your total handling per side would be 2x25, or 50w total. Too low for that amp.

You’d have to check your amp specs but I believe the VS can handle any ohm rating from 4-16. I had a VS100 with a 100w Goldback and my external cab had to match the ohm rating of the internal speakers - 8 ohms in my case. To be honest I wasn’t crazy about the Goldback - it’s a thin sounding speaker IMO.

You’d have to decide if you want more Goldbacks or something else. There are so many choices out there just from Celestion, not to mention WGS, Scumback, etc. Personally, I would use this opportunity to find replacements for the Goldbacks, e.g. get a 2x12 (maybe 4x12) and bypass the internal speakers all together.

Finding a speaker cab to line up with exactly your amp might be hard to do. However, you can buy the anti-skid trays, etc online and modify to fit you amp.

Good luck,

Bob

3. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

I built up 3 2x12's over a couple of years , by buying 3 new palmer empty 2x12's and putting in new speakers of my choice , it took me a couple of years to achieve this , as I am not really keen on second hand speakers , cause you can not always be sure what you are buying , have they been connected properly have they been abused , I had to sell a couple of lei's kites but with a little bit of forward thinking it can be achieved-I had 2 G12 80's that I had from new 1981 that went in one

I also want to get 4 16ohm cannabis rex speakers to put in 2 2x12's I have to pair up with my 50watt vintage modern, and the greenback H/M 2x12 I have my mini jubilee combo which will stay with this amp
    buying off ebay can be a bit of a lottery as I have found out before when buying a 1981 used G12 65 but it depends what funds you have

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 3:52 AM
  4. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Your "Goldbacks" are G12T-100 Celestion speakers. Buy a used Marshall 1936 model cab. They are deeper and slightly wider than your amp which will sit quite nicely on top. There are different versions of 1936 with the most common fitted with G12T-75 speakers giving a 150 handling capability. These are also the cheapest used on eBay....I've seen them sell for less than £100 in the U.K. Many times.
    E.g.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall...386014?hash=item2cd96d645e:g:jCgAAOSwAoFbcZpq

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 3:45 AM
  5. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Active Member

I have the DSL40C with the 65w Creamback inside and a 1x12 cab with a T75. I love how the two speakers compliment each other tonally. The T75 is a great speaker btw.

I know there’s risk in buying used speakers as slide222 said, but there are also good opportunities out there. I bought the T75 used and it’s the UK version. Paid only $40 for it. Here are some simple tests you can do to check the condition of the speaker (I only buy local so I can see what’s I’m getting before I buy):

1) With equal pressure push down on the cone - it should be dead quiet. Even the slightest scratchy noise indicates voice coil rub and a bad speaker.
    2) Put an ohm meter across the terminals and the reading should be slightly lower than what the speaker is labeled. E.g. a 16 ohm speaker will read 13-14 ohms, 8 ohm around 6-8, give or take.
    3) Put a 1.5v batttery across the terminals and the cone should jump up - indicating the wiring, voice coil, etc are working. Don’t leave the battery connected - just a few quick taps is all you need to confirm.
    4) Visually inspect the cone, spider, etc for rips or repairs.