Cabinet Comparison??? 1936 MC212

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Fletchmon, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Fletchmon

Fletchmon New Member

What is the difference between a 2 x 12 Marshall 1936 cabinet and a 2 x 12 Marshall MC212 cabinet? I plan to use it with either a DSL 50 or my DSL 401.

Are both of these closed back or open back? How about the little 1912?

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Member

I realize the thread is a few years old. But here's MHO.
    I always had combos. Had a JCM900 2x12 combo & 1922 2x12 ext cab for a long time. The combo is very heavy and don't want to lug it around anymore. So I recently bought a JCM2000TSL head. I didn't like the way it hung over the sides of the 1922 cab. So I was searching for a decent used 1936. I assume a lot of people area also into weight reduction. In my area 1936's are going for more than a 4x12. Just by luck, I stumbled upon an empty MC212 cabinet for a decent price. I like the size.. 29x12x20". I installed an Eminence Governor & Wizard speakers. And it really doesn't sound any worse than any other MDF cab/combo of a similar size. The front baffle is real wood and slightly angled upward. Yeah, it's not the same tone as an old all-birch 4x12 but Im happy with it. I'll still keep watch for a decent 1936, if one should show up on the local market for a reasonable price. But the MC212 with upgraded speakers aint bad at all.