Cab (vintage) recommendation for orig. 100w JMP

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by 9_volt, May 26, 2019.

1. 9_volt

9_volt New Member

Hi everyone.

I have an all original 100w JMP ('79 or '80, I think), in perfect working order. I am hoping someone can chime in and give me a recommendation on a 4x12 cab.

I am looking not for a newer cab, but something that would have been used in the days of old, 70's, 80's... like maybe what EVH used on VH1. Do we even know what cab he used, or is that still a mystery?

What did guys use back then? GBacks? 30w? 75w? I am not really up on this stuff, so if someone can clue me in, I'd appreciate it.

I don't mind reading another thread that may have this info, so feel free to point me to one if it exists.

Thank you! :)

2. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Simplest answer: An original cab from 1979-80, with G12 65 or G12 80 speakers.

Those sound the best for those heads, IMHO.

I suggest a google search on the VH1 setup. It gets long and varied, depending on which year they interviewed him.

Guys in the 70s used all of them, depending on the year, and the player.

And oh...Welcome to the forum! :)

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Trapland, neikeel, 67Mopar and 2 others like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

look for small check grillcloth...

4. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

There’s a 1960AX on Seattle CL right now……

5. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Active Member

How long do you having playing vs how much longer do you expect to play?

In LA you can find 1960A cabinets used for $400 or less with the standard G12T-75 speakers.

If you are unsure which speaker, go spend a few days on Johann Segeborn’s YT channel for speaker shootouts.

Then, buy the cones you need, sell the ones in the cab you don’t.

6. metromutt

metromutt Active Member

I'd go with Soundboy's recommendation if you have the time and money to hunt one down, remember not to be taken in by just looks alone... you'll need to check all the spks for performance and originality. Bear in mind you won't instantly get that 70's sound from just speakers.
    The other way imo is to play safe and get 'newer' speakers Creambacks etc but 'used' not new and see if you can track down an empty mid/late 70's cab (these have the build quality of the earlier cabs but without the hefty price tag) this eliminates the fear of suddenly finding out that your 70's blackbacks have a scratchy sound at high volume after a couple of months of playing at bedroom volume (imo there aren't many old spks that perform well at volume anymore).
    The thing to remember with your amp is it's output and the affect it will have on your cab if your going to play at high volumes, g12M's (BB's) were popular in the late 70's too... but a single cab with that head would be riding on a knife edge before they blow (unless you are going to attenuate or use pedals for distortion).

The EVH cabs were a mix of metal handle and early check cabs which he striped back to a wood finish (personally I think it was due to a mix of coloured cabs that he picked up in the club days, there's a few pics kicking round, although B&W, you can see tonally that they are red and white... due to the clash as a backline, I think he had a brainfart and ripped the tolex off!) Speaker wise they would of been a mix of the stock speakers in the cabs at the time. Although it's said that the g12m is/was his choice I think he also had 30's in some of those cabs.
    For the recording of the first and 'probably' the second albums, he used a straight front metal handle cab minus grill cloth with g12m's, probably pulsonics and oddly chose to put in two jbl d120's (not sure if these were orange or grey frame versions) tonally they were different than the greenbacks (there is a raw example somewhere on youtube of the cab double miked as the album was recorded in the reverb chamber at sunset sound).

Just my 2pence, best of luck going down the rabbit hole of speaker purchasing!

7. MoreAmpsPlease

MoreAmpsPlease Member

OK, I know a guy who is an insane Marshall collector. He has the holy grail cabinet and I've played it. Thing is, he has an old 50 watt JMP on it and it I don't need to crank that thing to have it sound good. Sounds fantastic with any volume level. He wont sell it, but I wanted a 4x12 for my 2203 and he was fine with us just doing a shootout of the ones he would sell. So I did that without even looking at the labels or asking what the speakers were.

The winner was a 1960ac or "classic" model with Vintage 30's from the 1990's, so that's what I got. It's not the holy grail, but it's not a bad place to start for $400 (it's immaculate). Any amp, any volume, it sounds great. Highs have chime, there's no harshness, and the amp just gets a good stage to present itself.

The "holy grail" cab has the Pulsonic cones greenbacks from the sixties. Listen to Segeborn on youtube and see if that's what you want. To me it's night and day and ultimately what I wanted in terms of sound. Ended up buying a Scumback speaker because that's their stated niche, the old Pulsonic cone sound. I've got two now in different cabs for recording and they are miles beyond anything else I've tried. I can get the same vocal quality I heard in the holy grail cabinet without hunting down some unicorn in the vintage marketplace (how fun).

But that's from my ears and that doesn't mean everybody has the same taste. But when you marry that amp up to a good cabinet, it's really a great experience. And if you have to crank it to sound good, well, it's not the best cabinet in my opinion. But here's hoping you find a good match, good luck. Cheers!

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  8. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

The 1960AC cab has Greenbacks...which again, IMHO, are preferable to Vintage 30s for that type of head.

The 1960AV is the "V30" cab.

Unless you actually checked, and the speakers were swapped...

9. maxwedge

maxwedge New Member

Beware, a SL can blow the greenbacks if you only use 1 4x12. Best bet is clearly a late 70s to early 80's 280-300 watt cabinet if you want to use 1 cabinet.
    Keep looking on CL, they show up from time to time.

Trapland likes this.
  10. 9_volt

9_volt New Member

Thank you!

11. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

What @soundboy57 said. G12-65s can handle the power o your amp, are era appropriate and will sound amazing with that amp.

12. buddy7168

buddy7168 Member

Another vote for g12-65 if your jmp is a master volume. If it’s a super lead then Greenbacks are my favorite but you probably will need an attenuator to avoid blowing them.