Building first pedal board

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Dalton, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Dalton

Dalton Member

Thank you everyone for your help, yall are awesome.. I'll get a pic up of my final product when it's done

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Daisy chaining pedals can work, as long as you don't daisy chain pedals in front of the amp with pedals that are in the FX loop. In this scenario, you REALLY need an isolated supply or you're guaranteed to get ground loop issues and the ensuing loud hum.

And yeah, singing and playing at the same time is hard enough without having to tap dance on pedals as well. So yeah, the simplest board you get, the less you'll have to focus on it.

The G70 is very good, super reliable and great battery life. Also, you can use several transmitters with it and cycle between then, which is great on stage (I usually have 2 guitars with me and switch between them depending on the song, each guitar has its transmitter).

3. AlanH

AlanH Well-Known Member

Great deals on the G70 here in the UK at the moment. Not sure about where you are.

In terms of tap dancing, modulation and delay can largely be done between songs so don't rule them out. Love my Marshall Regenerator and my MXR Carbon Copy...

4. WellBurnTheSky

Interestingly, when I was looking for a 2nd transmitter for my G70 last year, Andertons in the UK was blowing out the G75 at a very good price, it was basically was a tad cheaper getting a whole G75 set than the transmitter only, so I went for that.

AlanH likes this.
  5. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I reckon space for some form of modulation would be a good idea. Unless you are just never going to play anything at all from the 1980's.

I have a big-ish board. Mostly it's a place to keep my collection of Digitech Hardwire. But I use most of them. I use a Roland/Boss power supply, feeding into a simple daisy chain that includes both before the amp and in the loop. Ie, I got away with doing that and there's no noise, but I was ready to split it up with a second supply.

The digitech tuner is great. Very clear and accurate and you can check all strings with one strum. But it's true bypass and I like to have one buffer in a chain, for which a Tu3 would be great. I get my buffer from a Boss Od3

My board is 16mm ply and I have a raised second row at the back made from scrap aliminium. I don't like sticking Velcro on my pedals, so I drilled holes and use zip ties.

2211g5.jpg

jmp45, SkyMonkey and AlanH like this.
  6. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

7. Lukas

Lukas Well-Known Member

No lol. It’s pretty big and stays at home with the JVM. The Smaller board for my DSL 40CR is easily moveable.

8. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Just took delivery of a new RockBoard Tres 3.2 today.
    It is a bit bigger than I actually need right now, but I'm sure it will fill out with time!
    I will post in one of the existing threads when it is assembled.

I am planning to keep power costs down for now by using a daisy chain from a 1700 mA RockBoard PSA.
    I will report on that too.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  9. Dalton

Dalton Member

So pretty funny thing happened today...

I decided on the Boss TU3 tuner. Found it on Amazon, could get it shipped for free to my house tomorrow for $82.99.

I said f it, went to Guitar Center to see if they would price match. Without too much hassle, their manager said yes since I come in there a lot. So yeah, I got my TU3 tuner for $82.

That's not all.. As I was walking out the store, this dude on the other side of the counter is selling his Voodoo Lab 2 Plus power supply. I sit in my truck for a few minutes and walk back in and ask how much they want for it.

$75 will all the cables. I jumped right on it!

So it was a great day!! Got my TU3 tuner for a discount, AND got the power supply y'all recommended me to for $75!!!

(I tried uploading a pic but it says file too large.)

10. WellBurnTheSky

Congrats, great purchases, you can't go wrong with both of these and that's a killer price for a PP2+.

11. Dalton

Dalton Member

Thanks man, I'm really happy...

Now all that's left for my bare essentials to build the board itself. But, I did find someone on Marketplace near me trying to sell his "frame" with all the patch cables and the power cables for $40.... It's way bigger board than I'll need but I might hit him up on that for the price

12. Dalton

Dalton Member

Here's the board.. He wants $40 for all the power cables, patch cables, and the board.. He was wanting $70 with the power supply, but since i have the Voodoo lab now I told him to keep it. I'm really thinking about it

Attached Files:

13. Dalton

Dalton Member

And here's my current situation

Attached Files:

14. WellBurnTheSky

Nice board, and the Dual Lock on it is better than any type of velcro out there. And these pedals are a very good start, you can get lots of mileage out of them.

15. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

tip:
    extreme outdoor velcro.

you can hang a small child in a wall using it.
    [​IMG]

SkyMonkey likes this.
  16. Dalton

Dalton Member

So where do I get the "other side" of the velcro that would work on the board I posted?

17. WellBurnTheSky

Get 3M SJ3560 Dual Lock, read some guys saying you could get it from Home Depot or some similar shop (I'm in France, so not 100% certain on that).

Dalton likes this.
  18. Dalton

Dalton Member

So I have 2 questions regarding what i got today...

1- Probably stupid, but I just wanna be sure... I keep seeing something about a AC adapter for the Boss TU3... will this pedal run on just the normal 9v DC power?? This AC power adapter thing is confusing me.

2- The Voodoo lab outlets are all the standard 9v... What's the deal with outlets that say 250ma? I dont wanna plug any of my pedals into the wrong thing and blow shit up. All my pedals will be Boss.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  19. WellBurnTheSky

On the back of the PP2+, you have 8 DIP switches, make sure all of them are down, this will configure all outputs to 9v.
    You can get the manual here: http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm
    In a nutshell, regarding milliamps, PP2+ outputs can deliver up to 250mA (for outputs 5 and 6), but your pedals will only draw whatever they need to work properly. Your SD-1 will only draw 5mA, the tuner 35mA at most.
    Here's a link to a list with the power draw for lots of pedals: http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

And yeah, most Boss pedals run at 9v (older ones, marked as requiring the "ACA" adapter, can run at 12v but will run at 9v), and your PP2 can safely power any "compact" Boss pedals (such as your SD-1 and TU-3) from any of its outputs, just make sure it's set for 9v and that you use the correct cable.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  20. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

^^^^^What @WellBurnTheSky said^^^^^

Plus, the higher ampage 250 mA outputs are mostly there for digital pedals that require a higher draw than most analogue ones.
    I have a ZOOM MultiStomp that needs 500 mA, so somewhere down the line I am looking to get a Truetone 1 Spot CS6 that can supply that much from one outlet.
    I have also been reading some advice that digital pedals need their own isolated output, and supply to pedals in the front should be separate from pedals in the loop (if daisy chaining or using a semi-isolated supply). Your Voodoo is fully isolated.
    In the meantime I am resorting to daisy chaining and multiple 'single' PSUs (messy).

I know you only have a 2 pedal collection at the moment, but it may get out of hand fairly rapidly! Especially with a board that big.
    I started out with just a Blues Driver and it quickly escalated from there.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020