Building A Mini Major

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by fusionbear, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Silverburst

Silverburst Active Member

I was completely goosed up when I discovered this Mini Mayor vid on youtube, so figured I had to come here for the details ;) Jup! Build thread wooohoow!
    End result sounds like a total winner, whereas the initial clips sounded already very good to me as well. Too bad the OP didn't get the chance to correct his original build. A completely new design needs some iterations no doubt. You guys could form a great team actually ;)

Must say I was a bit floored when reading through the thread RT, I wouldn't know why you would talk like that in some responses since I never heard you respond like that, and I don't see the benefit in it.

Anyways, this Mini Mayor would sell like hot sandwiches, no doubt. How many guitarists aren't looking for this kind of tone for a more or less affordable budget and without the need of an 100/200watt engine? Plenty! Too bad I live in EU! ;) Team up and start a biz!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. coldengray

coldengray Active Member VIP Member

Michael has gotten a bit of noteriety for his one-wire mod and it's gone to his head. He went out of his way to be a jerk to Carl, which is not the spirit of the rest of the builder community as a whole. We help each other, share info, respect others work, donate parts, etc.

The amp sounds great but the comments in the thread were unfortunate. There was a much classier way to handle it. I guess this is where Michael accuses me of whining now.

3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Reputation and notoriety. PFFT!

Peeps sure can fight over such fleeting accolades. Bummer.

Michaels tuning of the Major is what I would want. The original sounded good sands the bad preamp tube.

Great to see guys tuning these amps up. Results are interesting and exciting.

4. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Yeah i dont see that happening

5. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

IDK, I've always found RT pretty open and fourth coming with his tinkering and adjustment knowledge.

Is he doing this as a business now?
    If so I'd understand if he held a few cards to his chest.

6. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

I do amp repairs and builds as a steady part-time gig, but I share with whoever asks....

It is not rocket science....

Geeze and Big Mike like this.
  7. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Ive seen this kinda stuff happen on forums before. Everyone is friendly and very helping then money starts getting involved where some one turns the hobby into a business and then everything goes south.

8. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Nothing is going south here. This is a democracy. We will keep MarshallForum great!

Geeze likes this.
  9. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

So, I have been looking at the clip R/T posted and it looks like the only two values that are different from my original build are the Treble cap? from 250pf to 500pf? And, the bypass cap on V2a: from 25uf to .022uf? I can't see anything else changed. Obviously, the Sozos were changed to mustards on most of the preamp, but other than that, it looks minor. Any of you look at it and document the changes? I also have come up with a cleaner layout. I will post once I finish drawing it for all to use at their discretion. Thanks!

Ghostman and coldengray like this.
  10. Big Mike

Big Mike Member

Dude it's a one wire mod. Pfffft. That's far from rocket science. That's not even Jose level interesting. It's easy. Change the V1 A/B cathodes to suit. Done.

It sounds impressive because you start with a JTM45 which is a warm and wooly and undergained beast compared to a lead spec later head.
    Change the mixers, do the one wire, season the V1 A/B to taste (or leave unsplit and just run a .68/2k7 shared) and you're golden. It's all there on the metroamp forum.

coldengray likes this.
  11. Big Mike

Big Mike Member

Rockstah comes to mind. Mark was a brilliant guitarist, but that 'mod' was sussed out in real time with input of several members on Metro forum.

coldengray likes this.
  12. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

My band opened a show for Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah), when he was playing with Starship. He was a great and humble guy. The last thing he would do is crap on someone elses thread, or besmirch their work for his own gain and ego, after swapping a half dozen parts. Big difference.

keennay and coldengray like this.
  13. Big Mike

Big Mike Member

Didn't say he thread crapped, I'm sayin the mod he was charging for was a lot of trial and error by him but also a lot of input on the forum from other folks.
    Once he made it a 'business' then the info was deleted and it became 'his' mod. Just telling you my view point, I liked mark prior to that point and he was indeed a fantastic player and seemed to be a nice enough guy. But frankly the 'mod 5' was essentially a 2203 front end with the VH V2A mods and bigger PI resistors.

14. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

I didn't say Mark thread crapped either

15. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Active Member

To be fair to R/T his OWM is tweaked/voiced per amp as needed. Your paying for R/T and I can see how it be annoying having the first posts of his thread guys trying to dissect the mod rather than enjoy it.

I will say his Mod sounds great but tone is mostly in his hands.. The customers vid didn't sound like rocket science..

16. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

So, back to what I was asking. Apart from the only cap value changes on the V2a and Treble cap value, anybody see anything else on the R/T mod? I want to document and publish for all to use in the future. thanks!

17. Big Mike

Big Mike Member

I agreed with you

18. Big Mike

Big Mike Member

Nothing I see

19. bulldozer1984

bulldozer1984 Everybody's Favorite Member VIP Member

I am floored at what an asshole Mike became in this thread. Wow. Just wow.
    For a guy that was so nice to everyone and so humble once upon a time....

FusionBear actually engineered this amp. He designed it. Michael wouldn't know how to design this amp. Yes he knows how to mod a Marshall, but he couldn't engineer a Mini-Major.

To me it sounded like the amp was delivered with a faulty tube - could have happened to anybody. And a return from the customer to FusionBear could have rectified this and the sound. Mike didn't do much.

Sorry for digging up and old thread, but I am appalled at the way Mike treated FB.

soundboy57, coldengray and Ghostman like this.
  20. coldengray

coldengray Active Member VIP Member

You hit the nail on the head and that is why Michael RT has left this forum and started up his promotional posts on The Gear Page. I tried to bury the hatchet with the guy multiple times but he would not accept my offer to be friends. Such is life.