Building A Mini Major

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by fusionbear, Oct 12, 2016.

1. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Did the OP design the amp? or just build it?

I dont understand all the tension from either side?

2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I want to hear before and after recordings, playing the same thing with the same recording setup.

3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

No one is whining - just dislike your rude patronising attitude to another forum member and respected amp builder, at first I used to listen to you clips, but now (like I have to add many others) I just walk on by, be happy..................... in your world:rolleyes:

4. Michael RT

Michael RT Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah, that's a good idea Mickey. We'll do my friend.
    Maybe I'll play some VH riffs and leads, and maybe something else.
    The "lay it down" riff from Ratt might be a good riff for the "before and after" clip.

mickeydg5 likes this.
  5. Michael RT

Here's a premod clip.
    It's having some problems right now that I will fix so I don't have a lot of time to mess around with recordings. I need to fix it and mover on because I have more amps waiting for mods.
    So anyways, after I'm done fixing the amp and modding it I'm going to make another sound clip for the customer and play the same thing for comparison.

6. mickeydg5

Not saying it is or is not, but for basics make sure it is not a preamp tube.
    Verify the preamp tubes, pins and socket prongs and socket lugs all for good contact.

Michael RT likes this.
  7. Michael RT

You're kinda correct and on the right track.
    It's cheap preamp tubes that's causing this problem.
    Now, here's a heads up to amp builders:
    When modding an amp with a PPIMV and OWM together, make sure you use high quality preamp tubes. The cheap chinese tubes can't handle being driven this hard.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  8. mickeydg5

Well yes, that is what I meant. The tubes should be quality for designs as these or gremlins will show their faces.
    But it is always a good idea to check everything supporting the preamp tubes as well to make sure there are no problems there either. (connections, contacts, components, design)
    :thumb:

Michael RT likes this.
  9. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Completely rude behavior Rt.Your skills are overshadowed by your childish treatment of a very capable tech,and a fine player.He has been much more gracious,and polite than I could have been after you so rudely attacked what was a very fine thread without this nonsense.

10. Michael RT

Well it's all fixed and I gave the customer the sound he was looking for this time around.
    I snuck this one in between amps because I felt bad for the owner.
    So anyways, it's back to amp modding I go.
    Mickey, here's the finished product, my mod sound clip for comparison.

jensvonbustenskjol likes this.
  11. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

I researched the parts, transformers that would work, came up with a layout for the custom turret board, researched what chassis I could use, etc...
    So it is mostly my engineering to put together a lower wattage Major Amp. I had no issue with MichaelRT. I merely pointed out that I was perplexed why the guy I built it for never contacted me if he was unhappy.

MichaelRT is the one who then started the insults. I have thick skin, so I am not bothered by his immature attitude. I am willing to humbly learn, just like I have from other builders like Fuchs, Bludotone, Cameron, Friedman, Red Iron, Bogner, Germino, etc... If there is something to profit tone wise, great! I look forward to MichaelRT sharing.

Ghostman likes this.
  12. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

So all you did was add a bypass cathode cap on V2a? What value and voltage? You also replaced the couplers on V1a and V1b with Phillips or Bianchi mustard caps? What values? You also replaced the two tone stack caps with what value Phillips or Bianchi mustard caps? You also changed the PI entrance cap to a mustard as well. And last of all, I see a Mustard .68 on the Presence pot. Anything else?

One last thing. The head shell has a Wizard logo. Why? I did not do that. That is not cool toward Wizard amps.

Ghostman likes this.
  13. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

You are wrong here, I buy lots of those Chinese tubes and sort them out. They are well made and sound really great. I did a shoot out with a friend who brought a suitcase full of NOS Mullard, Brimar, Amperex, etc... and he was blown away how good these sounded in his 1969' 1986 circuit plexi.

Ghostman likes this.
  14. allwheelz

allwheelz Well-Known Member

From an outsiders perspective, the amp should've went back to the builder if the owner was not happy, for final adjustment, tweaking, etc....i'm sure fusionbear had an idea of what the owner was looking for, but nobody is a mind reader. Mike, you pretty much went straight out and said that fusion CAN'T build this amp, or get the sound because of his playing style, that he can't play like Eddie Van Halen, or pick strings a certain way. But YOU can fix this amp right because of you play exactly like Eddie??? Fusion has been nothing but nice about this, shared the build pics, and continues to be nice about it....the hard work was already done anyways???? Like building a full on race motor, all your doing is tweaking the carb, when the engine was already bored, honed, stroked, ported, polished, matched....etc...

soundboy57 likes this.
  15. slagg

slagg Active Member

The God Of the one wire mod,ha!

16. Michael RT

Well the customer is very happy now and that's all that matters to me.
    Now he knows he made the right choice sending me the amp.
    @ fuzzybear I'd tell you why the customer sent me the amp instead and what he had to say but I know for a fact you won't like the answer.
    Plus I've heard enough whining in this thread to last me a life time. :rolleyes:

:wave:

17. mickeydg5

Fushionbear it is a nice build that sounded good while playing in a proper manner. But the amplifier freaking under certain conditions was not impressive and MichaelRT rid that and brought extra depth to the amplifier when comparing the before and after recordings. I cannot see everything that was changed but it does seem to have made a hell of a difference.

You cannot have fun with or gig with an amplifier that freaks out as depicted in the pre mod video.

I will also note that I do not know the output of the guitars, the signal level feed through the amplifier, the recording method of each individual video nor the amplifier control settings of each recording session.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  18. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

It does look like a quality build, nice and neat and clean.

He tweaked the Marshall amp so why be so upset if some one tweaks yours

I think its great the MichaelRT has the ear, knowledge and talent to know what to do to the amp to get the sounds some of us are wanting.

What are the brand of peamp tubes that can handle these kinds of mods? which ones will take the most abuse? tweak wise abuse? I think maybe that Dailey amp ive been messing with might need better preamp tubes

19. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

First, I am not upset that MichaelRT tweaked the amp. I want the owner to be happy. I just think MichaelRT's demeanor was overly snarky.

Second, I am perplexed why the guy I built it for never contacted me. It would have been a easy e-mail, phone call, or text to discuss and adjust. If a tube went south, I would have sent him a replacement. I told the owner of the amp before I even built the amp that I would re-voice and/or adjust the circuit for free as long as he paid for the shipping.

Third, I hope that MichaelRT will share all the mods he did, just like I shared the whole process of developing this build so that we can learn from him.

Ghostman and coldengray like this.
  20. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

[​IMG]