Building A Mini Major

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by fusionbear, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

I have a set of Valve Art 6550s..what is opinion on the Valve Art stuff?

2. Michael RT

Michael RT Well-Known Member VIP Member

It looks like this mini Major is falling into my hands.
    The owner of this amp is sending it to me for a little R/T love. :)
    He wants it to sound like this instead and I'm up for the challenge.

3. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

Good tubes, but can't handle the high voltage of the screens on this amp. Stick to KT88's

4. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

I don't doubt your skill, but I think the owner forgot that I would re-voice for free as long as he pays for shipping. I voiced the amp for VH1, I could easily voice for what is on this clip

5. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

No, but it would require either a power resistor or choke between B1+ and B2+

6. Michael RT

If you want to voice an amp to sound like VH1 it would really help if you could play the songs proficiently off it. It's beyond me how anyone can mod an amp easily to sound like mine and not be able to play the guitar style at all. :rolleyes:

There are nuances and mojo in an amp that you don't even know exist.
    You have to have the ability to find them first before you can unlock them out of an amplifier.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  7. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

First, you misunderstood my original reply. I merely was pointing out the fact that the guy I built it for should have contacted me. I gave him a 5 year warranty and offered to re-voice if he was not happy. He never contacted me.

Second, your argument is a non-sequitur It does not follow that one has to play like Van Halen to get the voice and feel of the amp. Just ask Dave Friedman who is EVH's tech! (I have met DF and chatted about amps with him many times and even had the pleasure of seeing EVH's #1 amp on his bench btw).

Again, I don't doubt you are capable, I just am perplexed by the lack of contact from the owner of the amp. And, yes, if you work on it, my warranty to the owner will be null and void. i have built a couple of hundred amps and am very flexible to adjusting feel and voicing to suit the player. Your response is a bit disrespectful IMO...

8. Michael RT

Well, you don't get it & you don't understand and that's why the amp is coming to me.

I hope one day you'll understand what I'm talking about.
    Keep an open mind my friend, you'll learn more with that mind set.

9. Michael RT

I'll post some sound clips when I'm done with it. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. coldengray

coldengray Active Member VIP Member

Michael, I watch you post about your Majors regularly and of course the never ending masturbatory clips, which I just pass by because they are the same thing over and over. You are a great player, I will give you that, and you've obviously created Major mods that deliver what people want, though it seems like it's mostly the one-wire mod with some minor tweaks.

Without all that said, your ego is out of control talking to Fusionbear so disrespectfully. Carl is one of the greatest builders and techs out there and he has earned the respect of Greg Germino and other famous master builders...why? Because he knows his stuff, is humble and never stops learning. Carl is a MASTER builder, not just a modder, and you could learn a lot by actually engaging him instead dismissing him as "not getting it". I'm sure had the amp customer spoken to Carl he would have got it, but the owner chose to bring it to you. Nothing you are going to do to that amp will surprise Carl, because he knows it all. All the "nuances and mojo in an amp" are well understood by Fusionbear, and I'm speaking from personal experience not hearsay.

Resist the temptation to treat someone disrespectfully, it makes you look petty and competitive. Carl is a fantastic builder and a kind person too, he has helped me a lot with builds and learning. And he's a pretty great player too. There's no need to be so dismissive of someone who worked hard to build a totally custom amp.

Ghostman likes this.
  11. Michael RT

[​IMG]

12. coldengray

Just treat people with respect and you'll get the same in return. Check your ego at the door.

Resorting to troll tactics isn't helping you look very mature either.

neikeel and soundboy57 like this.
  13. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I hear something different in the Michael RT amp, his has more of a staticy sound or more sensitive power section or something.

The mini major sounds more clean and smooth something doesnt sound as hot to my ears as the major that RT has. It could be his mod

Its not just in the fingers either i hear something else in there

I think the term im looking for is tube saturation? seems looser more open in the major and tighter maybe compressed in the mini

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  14. fusionbear

fusionbear Member

Some of the places I adjust is the B+ string. You can go up or down in value on the first resistor after the B1+ point.

You could also experiment with the plate resistor value on V1a. By going up slightly in value, you could increase gain and add looseness. Some guys like to add a cap across the V2a cathode. On EVH's number one amp, there is a 330uf there. Another point is that this amp is brand new. The filter caps are going to be tight in spec. On an old Major, everything is 30+ years old. That is a "Major" factor (I couldn't resist the pun, sorry...)

coldengray likes this.
  15. Michael RT

Well. I had a chance to play through the amp for awhile and I can tell you that the sound clip posted in the OP was a clip of the amp head cranked up very loud. To get it to sound like this I had to play it at a volume loud enough to drown out a drummer.
    It sounded alright at this volume but kinda anemic and it really doesn't have a early VH vibe to it. However, at low volumes the amp sounds lifeless and gutless. After I'm finished with this amp, it's going breath fire at low volumes and rip your face off at higher volumes. I'll post a sound clip of it once I get a chance to work on it and finish it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  16. coldengray

Wow man. You have no qualms about bashing someone in their own build thread. How about you start a new thread on your mods and try to use constructive criticism. There's a way to be a gentleman about this. Carl is a brilliant builder and does all the Scumback wiring for the DBL attenuators. He has an excellent reputation for good reason. Everyone has different ears and he could tweak away if given a chance.

17. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Your posts on this thread, crapping all over this guys build, and being generally a pompous ass, are pretty much as bad as I have seen.

Whatever the case....time to stop shitting on this guy who obviously is not only light years ahead of you on knowledge, but has something else you lack....CLASS.

Unbelievable.

Ghostman, neikeel and coldengray like this.
  18. Michael RT

Well, hopefully all the fuzzybear worshipers are finished whining.
    Wow, name calling me really shows a lot of CLASS guys.

So anyways, back to the topic, I will be posting the amps progress as I correct the Major circuit mistakes that have been made.
    (I couldn't resist the pun, sorry...) :)

There are a few things that have to be corrected before I can preform my gain modification.

19. coldengray

Carl is a very well known and well respected builder. When I helped get this building section launched I asked Carl if he would post his builds here too, in addition to TGP. The way you're acting could turn off someone who has a lot to offer and contribute to the forum...his expertise goes far beyond mods for one amp model.

It's great that you have perfected your mods but show some respect for your fellow builders and resist the temptation to rub it in. One can learn a lot about someone by the way the act when they drink and by the way they handle themselves online. I recommended you look up the word "hubris".

20. Michael RT

I think the first thing I'm going to do is get rid of those crappy sozo's and replace them with some real caps. :)
    Like these.
    [​IMG]