Brian Robertson Tone

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by thinlizzy96, Mar 22, 2011.

1. thinlizzy96

thinlizzy96 New Member

Hey, new to the forum! Anyway, i was wondering if any of you tone experts or Thin Lizzy fans would know which input Brian Robertson plugged into when using the 100w super lead plexi? Also any amp settings to get close to his tone?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  2. thinlizzy96

thinlizzy96 New Member

anyone?

3. Username2

Username2 New Member

Below is a pic of his chain back in 1974. 100watt Superlead plugged into the upper right. Use a Marshall 425 or 1960AX cabinet to match with your plexi.

Brian Robertson set his amps EQ fairly neutral, where Scott Gorham dialed in more treble. His main guitar was a 1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe sunburst with minihumbuckers. Nightlife, Fighting, Jailbreak, Johnny The Fox, Bad Rep, Live and Dangerous is all the sunburst Deluxe with the minihumbuckers.

After that he routed the Deluxe for humbuckers and put some 1959 PAF's in it, his Ebony Black Les Paul Standard was bought late '77 when all the albums Brian Robertson was featured on were already recorded. Up until this point the sunburst Deluxe has always been his main guitar.

He didn't use the Colorsound wahwah as an EQ pedal as some say but his use of the Wem Copicat echo was fairly special. He used two, one as an echo but the other one as a boost.

Thin Lizzy is excellent tone once again proving less is more.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Riffraff, Dave666 and LibertyMachine like this.
  4. JayCM800

JayCM800 Well-Known Member

5. twitchylizard

twitchylizard New Member

I love Lizzy and I think they are the most underrated rock band out there. All of these replies should be helpful and there are videos of him playin a JCM 900 on Youtube if u wanna check that out. Hes got great tone

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAE3NMERwGw]YouTube - Brian Robertson - Still in Love With Blues (Part 1/9)[/ame]

6. thinlizzy96

thinlizzy96 New Member

Thanks guys!
    Brian and Scott were incredible guitarists, with what is in my opinion, the definition of good rock n' roll tone. Tasteful players, good phrasing, good melodies.
    I fucking love Thin Lizzy.
    Saw them live a couple weeks ago and got Scott's pick.

7. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Active Member

I absolutely love Thin Lizzy as well, in fact my favourite band. Great creamy tone they had in the live and dangerous era!

8. rich24a

rich24a Active Member

Thin Lizzy are one of my favourite bands ever, I saw them live in Hammersmith, London in January this year, they were incredible!

9. TradAmpGuy

TradAmpGuy New Member

One of my favorite tones is the rhythm parts on The Cowboy Song

Dave666 likes this.
  10. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

I wonder if the accessories he is using are contributing to that bluesy tone.....you know the band aide, weird toe sandals and more bangle bracelets than I've ever seen my girlfriend wear.
    :lol: Just kidding around. That was a cool vid.

Thin Lizzy and Brian in particular were a huge influence on me as a young player. My group covered a ton of their tunes back in the day. I used to love trading off leads with the other guitarist and doing the harmony parts in Cowboy Song. In fact I pulled the covers off of the Burstbuckers of my ebony Les Paul Standard because I thought Brian's guitar looked so cool on the Live and Dangerous album. Great band and great player. :dude:

thinlizzy96 likes this.
  11. Mats A

Mats A Member

Brian used the upper left input on his Super Leads not the upper right. In later years in Thin Lizzy he had 3 Super Leads of wich one was a monitor of Scott. He used his 2 WEM Copicats in series and he used them to boost the signal into his amps. But he also used both for echoe set at different speeds. Actually he uses the black 1960 Custom on Are you ready on the LAD album since it´s the same version as the one on the LAD video/Dvd.

And i think that pick is not from 1974 more like it was from late 1975 or 1976 and onwards. But i´m not totally certain on this. But i don´t tend to hear much echoe on the live recordings from before 1976. And he also had less distortion. Later in Wild Horses he used 4 WEM Copicats.

He usually set his controls on the amp around 5 or 6 and volume around 6 also.

I´m also not totally convinced he used 25W Celestions since John Norum of Europe knows Brian and he has said he used 30W Celestions. But who knows if Robbo remembers that today.

Nowdays he prefers JCM 900 Dual Reverb amps and a Vox wah wah.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  12. kips1963

kips1963 New Member

13. Mats A

Mats A Member

Yeah, that is one of my favourite pictures of Robbo! It´s from one of the two LAD inner sleeves. And that guitar looks real good. Shame he hasn´t still got it. But he didn´t think it sounded so good after some years so he sold it to Phil Campbell in Motörhead. But i don´t think he´s has got it today either. Think it was stolen but i´m not sure.

14. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

Yup, that's the guitar pic that made me pull the covers off of my Burstbuckers. It's not a Custom but it's got a similar look now.

[​IMG]

LAD is full of great stuff. :dude:

rich24a likes this.
  15. kips1963

kips1963 New Member

I liked that guitar so much, I just had to have one.....
    [​IMG]

rich24a likes this.
  16. racersteen68

racersteen68 New Member

don't forget 'Another Perfect Day' album by Motorhead!!

17. racersteen68

racersteen68 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chGvAlMRick]Motörhead - one track mind - YouTube[/ame]

here ya go!

18. Mats A

Mats A Member

That Custom is said to be a 1960. if so it should have an all mahogany body with no maple on top. Should give kind of a softer tone.

19. Mats A

Mats A Member

Know it's a very old thread but Robbo used the black Custom on Live And Dangerous on the songs that was recorded at the Tower Theatre in Philadelphia in 1977. There are pictures from these shows and he plays it on those. Also after a bit of searching i doubt the Custom is from 1960. It's more likely from 1968-early 1970's.

20. Dale76

Dale76 New Member

Hi Mats, I came across you on Robbo's FB page, you are the only one I have come across that seems to have studied Robbo's sound in some depth. I agree his sound was less distorted prior to 76, do you think his heavier distortion sound from 76 and after was (lets leave the fingers aside) soley from his use of the two Wem Copicats he had in a rack and started using them in 76 ?. I would really love your take on this as you seem knowledgable as to his sound. Oh, I read somewhere that a roadie tech said that Robbo's super lead amps were have modified stating "don't believe every thing you read?. Interesting to note that Scott's sound and also became more distorted from 76 on as well??. Listening to 76 Hammersmith and 77 Phily concerts and the dvd video footage Live at the Rainbow in 78. I saw an old pic of Scott on stage about that 76/77 era also with that distinct Wem Copicat footswitch in front if him (in his book the boys are back in town) also at the time his sound appears more distorted, really looking forward to your reply on Robbo's 76 (more distortion) era of Lizzy, thanks. Also why have other people used supposedly the same era100 watt Superleads through 2 Copicats with a LPC guitar of same era and still not achieved his tone. It is clearly a heavier distorted sound from 76 onwards so some gear had changed? I believe it is definately in his equipment (or mods??) I have tried to ask Robbo this over a number of years and he seems very reluctant to discuss??

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.