Bought a DSL 15h Today, First Impression VERY COOL

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Chris Sheppard, Nov 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Chris Sheppard

Chris Sheppard New Member

I bought a really clean DSL 15h today for $250.00. I am really pleased, I got what I was looking for in many ways. The Classic gain channel has an incredible amount of head room. With the volume on 10 and the gain on about 4 you could barely get it to breakup which pleases me greatly. The Ultra gain channel is very useful with the gain turned on low (1 to 2, 3) also. So surprising how useful this little Amp truly is.
    Suggestions on a proper inexpensive cab would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I really can’t recommend a cab for you, because I am not familiar with your amp, but on the cheap side, if you’re amp doesn’t dwarf those small 1-12 mg cabs, grab one and install a better speaker

Chris Sheppard likes this.
  3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I found that the DSL15 likes Vintage 30s. Maybe it is because I like Vintage 30s, but the Vintage 30 helps tighten up the low end of the DSL15 which reminded me too much of a Fender, and it added some mid range complexity to the red channel.

There are some affordable cabs loaded with Vintage 30s, such as the Harley Bentons. Also a used cab loaded with a V30 might be within budget.

4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new amp @Chris Sheppard, Great price too, glad to hear you're liking it. Like @Kinkless Tetrode said, Thomann has some real inexpensive cabs, like a Palmer 1-12 cab that's unloaded for $96.

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Hey @Mitchell Pearrow,....I didn't know there were MG 1-12 cabs, I've only seen the 4-122. Unless you're talking about the MX112 cabs?

6. Mitchell Pearrow

The ones I am referring to are the ones that come in those small stacks , like the lead 12 stacks.
    My bad scozz there not 12” speakers they are either 10” or 8”..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    scozz and Chris Sheppard like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

It has been a long time since I had looked at it the little cab is the same size as the mg 15.

scozz and Chris Sheppard like this.
  8. Mitchell Pearrow

9. Mitchell Pearrow

This a pic of the little cab

10. Chris Sheppard

There is a Vox 2x12 cab for $250 with 2) g12h30’s aren’t those akin to a greenback?
    It has an open back which I was a bit uncertain about. Thoughts anyone?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. tmingle

tmingle Well-Known Member

"The Ultra gain channel is very useful with the gain turned on low (1 to 2, 3)"

I believe there is a simple MOD that involves installing 1 resistor(the board even has a place for it) to tame the gain some. I almost bought a 15C combo(sounds great at low volume) the other day, but wound up with a Line 6 HX Stomp instead. It works pretty well with my 40C. I think I'm going to sell off my pedals to fund a full blown HELIX.

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I remember them, you’re right they came with the little Lead 12 mini heads, as a mini stack! I think they were 10s but I’m not certain, definitely not 12s.

13. Mitchell Pearrow

True it had been quite while since I had looked at it and I had a 12” speaker sitting on the shelf and grabbed it and it is wider than the little cab DOH

scozz likes this.
  14. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

15. Mitchell Pearrow

16. DragonSarc

DragonSarc Active Member

check out blackstar htv112, it comes with celestion 70/80 you can find it cheap 2nd hand around 50-70 bucks good and big sounding cab.

17. Robus

Robus Active Member

Grab a Harleu Benson 2x12 with V30s.

18. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Yes, the G12H30 is akin to the G12M25. In the 60's and early 70's they both had green magnet covers, so they are both GBs. However, today on the internet is common to refer to the G12M25 mainly as The Greenback speaker. The G12H30 has a heavier magnet which gives it a deeper and punchier bass than the G12M. The heavier magnet also gives more treble. G12H's have a lot of bite. The 70th anniversary versions of the G12H30 in particular are very bright. Both GBs have some grit in their tone. This really works well with amps run with just a bit of break up.

The Vintage 30 has a focus on the upper mids. And the mids are shiney and clear. This is why many perceive them as brighter than GBs, and they can be annoying until they break in thoroughly, but the G12H has more treble. Nonetheless, the Vintage 30 has some advantages over G12Ms and G12Hs, once broke in, especially when used with high gain amps. The lows are never flubby which can often be a problem with G12Ms. The high highs are rolled off compared to G12Hs.

19. EADGBE

EADGBE Well-Known Member

What about a 4x12 with greenbacks? Maybe you could take the amp to a music store and try it out with various cabs and see which one you like best. Just make sure you match the amp and the cab's impedances.

Another tip: Before switching the pentode/triode switch make sure the amp is off. That's straight from the owner's manual.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  20. Chris Sheppard

I picked up an AVT 1x12 can today, it has a g12m25 greenback speaker in it, very happy. I’ve been playing the Les for several hours. Clean mainly (you really can’t get the classic gain channel breakup much) and also with overdrive. I picked up this (Chinese?) pedal a while back. It’s yellow by Tone City, Model M. Sounds really pretty along with the Carbon Copy Analog Delay (the perfect amount of knobs )

thanks for all the advice and feedback. CBS