Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by scozz, Nov 14, 2019.

1. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Well all this bashing of the SD-1 has only served to make me want to try one for myself.
    I think I'll wait for a decent used one to come around at my LGS or Reverb.
    I have the BD-2 and love it, but it must be the ultimate in tone colouration!
    An SD-1 might be a good alterative to compliment the BD-2, and an OD to boost the Ultra Gain channels of my 40CR.

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  2. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

After all my earlier posts about the SD-1 saying I couldn't get along with it, Ive actually found it's place in my set up.

For me, it works brilliantly with the ES-339 into the Vox AC-30. My other guitars not so much, but something about that combination is brilliant, so the pedal stays.

As it turns out, my son likes using it with his EMG-81's into the JCM900 DR. Not something I would have tried but he likes is and to be honest it does sound good.

I can see why it's such a polarising pedal, but when it works it really works. Its just horrible when it doesn't.

3. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I agree, it is black and white, good or bad, and unfortunate that it is so polarizing.
    A musician's love-hate relationship...

I got mine when I needed a clean boost, and for that, it excels.
    I use it in front of my Fender amps mostly, it seems to be very well matched to them.

When it comes to dirtier overdriven tones, it is a bit fizzy and noisy.
    That is when I decided to mod mine. A great pedal, that could be a lot better.

It is the perfect form factor, and is pretty much indestructible.
    That is why you see so many of them, you just can't kill it.
    On top of that it is rather inexpensive, especially if you get a used one.

A few caps, a couple resistors and some new diodes and it makes a good pedal great.
    If you have above-average soldering skills, you can even change the dual op-amp.
    It's not that you HAVE to mod the pedal, but you CAN and make it even better.

I'll never get rid of mine now.

4. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

My apologies,...

5. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

thanks!

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

It's applicability is why i have quite a few boosts.

I like my SD1W, in custom mode, but only with my comment above of 1 guitar out of 7 and only 1 amp out of 10 i own.

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I just plugged mine back in to the Origin last night, because I didn’t feel like pulling power and the mxr out to fire up both amps , and it still does the job it’s asked to do,
    I will not be putting it in moth balls anytime soon.
    Cheers

8. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I think the "Best" Boost/OD pedal is the one that works for you the best. There are just too many variables, Player, Guitar, Pickups, Amp, Cab, Room.
    As long as it sounds good to you then it is good, unless it sounds like that "One Dude".
    Did I ever tell the story of that "One Dude"?

9. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Not that story AGAIN...

10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Not that I can remember :cheers:

stringtree likes this.
  11. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Got it a few weeks back, but I think the SD-1W is now my new favorite pedal. So versatile.

I was messing with pedal combinations tonight and throwing a good clean boost in front of the SD-1 just sweetens the deal even more. Metal tones for me so mileage may vary for others. But into the SC20 it’s awesome! And I actually prefer it in standard (S) mode.

PS I’m using an MXR Custom Audio Boost/Line Driver (MC-401). Great, truly transparent, clean boost on its own. Adds a little mojo in front of other pedals. In this combo only set to like 7 dB of boost. And yes its LED is crazy bright.

3AFEFBDE-B05C-4B2A-BE25-D37875544405.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  12. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Member

A great thread! Tres interesting... I had an SD1 and a Bluesdriver, and after a period of "Ewwwwwww.... these aren't working for me! Narsty Sounding... also can't work the guitar volume knob without them really going into huaaarf mode", I tried modding them.
    I used inexpensive kits from Monte Allums (I think the name's right). He has mods for all kinds of pedals, including the CE7 eq, which I never got into. Typically, his kits replace the op amps, change some capacitors, resistors, add a switch for different modes, etc. For instance, the SD1 kit had a tri-mode mod, switching between an LED, and several different components to change the sound of the drive. Made quite significant improvement to both. Requires some soldering skills so you don't ruin the circuit board, components etc., but it's not brain surgery. I encourage all to try it!!
    I ended up not using them, after trying them out again in front of several Marshall tube amps, after I got the Xotic BB Preamp Overdrive. It's hands down my choice of "coloration neutral" OD/Boost pedals, it will actually add touch sensitivity and dynamics to a total lump of an amp. So, of course, it's truly amazing with my SV20. I've had it for at least 5-6 years, and it's still quiet and awesome. No mods, which is saying something since I mod almost everything in ways small and large.
    I also use a slightly modded GuvnorII OD pedal for leads... has the same touch/volume pot-type characteristics as the BB. Perhaps not as transparent, but the coloration "goes my way", as it were!

13. walshb

walshb Active Member

The SD-1 is one of my favorite OD pedals. I've never heard anyone describe it as transparent. It's always been described as having a mid boost, that's what it does. And IMO it's a great OD! I did mod mine years ago, then eventually it quit working and I've never replaced it...but I should!

14. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

I have the sd-1 and I don’t find very adding much to the overall tone.

I found the MXR Wylde overdrive for 50 euros and the Maxon od808 for 75. Which one should I buy?

stringtree likes this.
  15. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

this weekend I was into LP with emgs and old zakk stuff. It SD1+2203+EMG+LP blows the doors! It´s amazing how such simple rig sounds amazing.

stringtree and Sean Christie like this.
  16. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    SD-1 "Side-Car" mod...

[​IMG]

tschrama, LCW, stringtree and 2 others like this.
  17. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Loving the old school homemade mod box.
    Reminds me of doo-dads my Dad used to make for his Radio Ham equipment back in the day.
    He used old St Bruno pipe tobacco tins. Sockets, dials and wires coming out of everywhere!
    Dead easy to get inside and tweak. Not so robust, but then he didn't have to gig with them!

stringtree and Nik Henville like this.
  18. Sean Christie

Sean Christie Member

I used to own an SD-1 and as a boost (with the level all the way up and the drive all the way down) it pushed my JCM1 nicely. Ultimately, I preferred the smoothness of my TS9 over the more raw sound of the SD-1, so I sold it. It really depends on the sound you’re looking for, if you’re looking to push your 800 or other MV amp into heavy rock or metal territory, this pedal will get you there.

LCW and stringtree like this.
  19. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    It's seriously bolted to the SD-1, and of rock-solid cast ally... has survived a good few heavy-duty gigs in it's time.
    Position #0dB - a red LED / green LED - thus slightly asymmetrical - loud and dirty
    Position #-3dB - Mullard germanium OA10 diodes, asymmetrical 8 one side / 7 the other - some grit as you get louder
    Position #-6dB - Mullard germanium OC44 diodes, asymmetrical 6 one side / 4 the other - rich and responsive
    The only "problem" is the 3dB level differences, couldn't be arsed to compensate circuit-wise, so just hit the volume knob.
    There used to be a demo on the Tube of You...
    ...but I had so much grief on there over using tunes and stuff that I am pretty much gone from there.
    May string another demo together and put it up
    :hippie::pirate::uk:

LCW and SkyMonkey like this.