Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by scozz, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I sincerely appreciate your time in checking out my clips brother, I am having quite a bit of fun being able to post them up , and trying to come up with song ideas.
    Cheers Mitch

Sustainium likes this.
  2. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have an original OD-1 along with the SD1W. OD-1 is similar but voiced more flat if that makes sense. SD1 seems more punchy. OD cuts more bass. It's been quite a while since I've gotten it out so you asking will make me revisit it.

wntbtw likes this.
  3. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

I have a Maxon OD-9 and it's killer one of the best out there but you should just keep the SD-1 it's a classic . I have both and use both.

scozz and wntbtw like this.
  4. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

Thank you! I was just curious as someone had mentioned they liked their OD1. I`m a 'low volume' player & have a couple of OD pedals [SD1, Danelectro 'Transparent OD' V1, Bad Monkey, & Joyo 'Crunch OD'] & mess w/ them occasionally but within the last year or so I bought 2 killer Ceriatone 'hot-rodded plexi' style amps [20w Yeti & 20w Chupacabra] & w/ their 3-way ERA voicing feature, they both give me GREAT 'low volume' tones [and to me, better tones than the pedals I have]. Thank you again!
    [​IMG]

Biff Maloy likes this.
  5. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

But I just now--5 minutes after my post above--bought a used Tube Screamer type pedal by Joyo! In 'used but mint' condition--$30 w/ free shipping. So now I`m somewhat in the 'esteemed group' of Tube Screamer owners! :hbang: It will nice to compare it w/ the SD1 & my other OD pedals.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  6. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

That’s a good sound and some good playing!
    Do you guys wear ear plugs? I’ve never really jammed with a drummer so I’m not sure if everyone does.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

I thank you for the compliment, in these clips no I was not wearing any ear protection, but if it was to get any louder then yes , I would be.

Sustainium likes this.
  8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well I returned the SD-1. I just couldn’t get along with it. I just like the tones coming from it, it colors my amps tone too much for my taste. I kept saying to myself just keep it, it’s only $50, but I know what will happen.

I’ll pull it off my board and put it where I kept the other pedals I bought and didn’t use. Yeah, and I just threw those other pedals in the trash a couple of years ago!

The same would happen with the SD-1, I’d put it away someplace and then throw it out years from now.

If I don’t like a pedal I don’t use it, if I don’t use it, why keep it.

I bought a EHX SoulFood from Reverb.

wntbtw, SkyMonkey and Sustainium like this.
  9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

So I ordered a EHX SoulFood Overdrive, and it arrived the other day....now this is exactly what I was looking for! What a great sounding overdrive, great tones and most importantly to me very transparent. Sounds pnenonial and doest color the tone of the amp in any way.

That was the problem for me with the SD1, it added its own tone to my amp. Not a transparent pedal at all. The SoulFood is just the opposite as far as that's concerned, and that's just what I wanted!

If you've got a great sounding amp and you'd like a transparent overdrive pedal that won't color the tone of your amp, this is the overdrive for you. Oh, and it also works great as a clean boost too.

Kookaburra, Biff Maloy and wntbtw like this.
  10. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Dead on about both. I have them and they get rotated regularly along with a couple more that stay in the go-to group. I like them equally though and mostly use them for boosting signal. The SD1W i have colors things "80s" no matter how i set it but works well in certain combinations but yeah, you cant beat the Soul Food. Between the two, if I'm wanting to use one of them for exclusive overdrive and the amp clean the SF sounds great like that also.

11. Amadeus91

Amadeus91 Active Member

That second clip with the Origin is KILLER.
    Any info on that Gibby you're using?

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Yes it is completely stock 2011 studio LP

Amadeus91 and stringtree like this.
  13. Shae201

Shae201 Well-Known Member

The soulfood is modeled after a Klon. The SD-1 gets praise for its price point. I like mine pushing a 2205. Is it the best OD pedal...not by a long shot but for a used price of $35, its pretty damn good. It will not ever kick my ibanez Nu-tube screamer or my Archer off my board but its a great overall OD pedal for the price IMO.

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

Interested! I like my SD-1, but, but I like to get other people's take on it.

15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

See post #88 and 89.

wntbtw and stringtree like this.
  16. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I never quite fell in love with the SD-1, I guess it is considered a classic and as others have said, for that little money definitely hard to beat, a bang-4-buck proven winner, so I'm in the minority on that, but sonically, I dunno, it just felt ok...which kinda brings to mind the new commercial campaign for that insurance company "He's ok. But why settle for just ok?"

I think it may come down to how much you like it for its own gain/OD tones vs just nudging an overdriven amp with it. I love getting the majority of drive from the amp and found better options when looking to juice the front end a little with minimal coloring/gain....but that SD-1 price point and reliability factor are pluses for sure.

scozz and stringtree like this.
  17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s what I keep hearing “for the price you can’t beat it” or similar comments. I’m not interested in “ for the price” logic,...I’m interested in something I like,....something that sounds good,...not “it sounds good for the price”!!

18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I paid $60.00 for my SoulFood, (including electrical adapter, original box, warranty card, and manual),....and it sounds great! Not great for the price,....just great!

19. Shae201

Shae201 Well-Known Member

Okay...you can spend $600 on an Analog Man Overdrive or $35 for an SD-1. On MarshallForums your gonna get opinions but no need to get angry about it.

scozz, Derek S and SkyMonkey like this.
  20. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

@scozz and @Shae201 your both right. :dude:

I'm at a place in life where "great for the price" is working for me. I'm playing some gear I never would've given the time of day.
    I Grateful to have what I got, and I will make it work.

I am playing and thats what counts. Its always good to have options where ever anyone is financially.

Some of us here maybe aren't doing as well as others here, don't be offended by that.
    That logic is a Blessing to my ears.

scozz and SkyMonkey like this.