Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by scozz, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

The SD-1 is a great pedal. It just might not work well with all amps...
    It is virtually indestructible, and a great base platform for mods.
    Sadly like others have stated here, it might not be the OD for everyone.

I love mine, but it is modded to my preferences. The newer ones aren't so easy to mod, so be careful if you get one with the intent for making it better. Change an op-amp and a few caps and you might have the dream OD you have longed for all your life.

I like mine with my Fender amps, not so much with the DSL5c. With the DSL40 it is OK since modding it for 6550's, but the OD-1x is my go to for almost everything now.

I wanna try an OS-2, so if anyone has one for sale let me know...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

Try the Boss BD-2 Blues Driver for a transparent overdrive from Boss. The SD-1 is a TS type mid hump overdrive, it WILL color the sound a lot.

3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Thanks for that , no I haven’t seen that one! I’ll check it out, I really like Danelectro stuff. I’m using these pedals in front of a SC20.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i need to try a BD2

5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree, the SD1 has an aggressive, almost harsh tone to it imo. I prefer something a bit more smooth, slightly creamy tone from an OD.

I’m probably gonna stand pat for now, although @solarburnDSL50 just got me interested in that Danelectro pedal he posted a video on.

It sounds like what I’m after, but then it’s hard to tell from videos, too many variables.

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

7. ricksdisconnected

he has that way about him lol. good guy through and through.

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yup, agreed! Completely,...

tce63 likes this.
  9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I think I’m gonna stay with what I’ve got for now. The SC20 has quite an overdriven tone to it as it is, and I’m currently using a EQ pedal and a new boost pedal I just bought last week.

TC Electronics Spark,...what a great pedal, it does what I want. It gives me more thump, (as much or as little as I like), and it doesn’t color the tone of the amp at all.

Plus I’ve got the OD9, so I’m good for a while. Gonna request an RMA number from Sweetwater today.

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Aggressive and harsh, thats what I like about the SD-1! If I owned no pedals and was starting from scratch I'd get a Fulltone OCD, it can do most everything.

11. ricksdisconnected

OCD one of my favs. your right it can do a lot. 1 pedal that will never leave the stash.

12. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

you've said what I was about to rightL: not only for each person there's a pedal, but for every amp there is a pedal. I think some pedals/amps get along, some don't. That doesn't make a pedal, or a an amp, bad. Just a bad match.

in my house, to my taste, the 5150iii likes clean boosts. sounds great with the SD1 but with the pure boost or the lacerete sounds better. the 800 loved ODs, the SD1 and the D250 sounded better than clean boosts, the engl is a bitch... goes with anything you can stick into it and the major loves the modded GE7.

It's a matter of experimenting, and for that the SD1 is a jack of all trades. Is one of the most versatile pedals I've owned. and it costs nearly nothing, if you own one... don't sell it! you'll probably buy another one down the road. (believe me, I've been there several times)

Kookaburra and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Filipe Soares

somebody said something about the RAT. The rat is my favorite BASS PEDAL!!! It's like Lemmy in a box.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  14. ricksdisconnected

damn............Lemmy. he was the shit.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. Filipe Soares

some people have mental diseases, I'm a bassist inside... everyone have terrible flaws, that's my main one. Lemmy, Entwistle and DeMaio ruined me. My last "real gig" was in 2014, as bassist! I use to carry a LTD Tom Araya and a Rat around a LOT.

16. Micky

Seems like I want a GE7 in both of my boards. My little BCB-30 has an OD-1x, a GE7 and a RV5. I'd like to try an OS-2 on the little board, since I am limited to 3 pedals and the OS-2 is a cross between an SD-1 and a DS-1. Like 2 pedals in one, and built in a BOSS form factor.

The SD-1 can do clean boost as well as OD style, it is important to put it where you can really use it. I have changed a few cap values in mine to smooth out the harsh fizz, and now has a permanent place in my bigger board downstairs. The other thing is, I don't use pedals a lot (not really necessary with my amps) so it basically needs to be a set-and-forget type of effect. Because I have the room on that board, I usually pair it with a distortion pedal, always in front of the amp, never in the loop. Leaving the tone settings the same, I can go from clean boost to OD with one knob.

If I can find a deal on an OS-2, the OD-1x will replace the SD-1...

17. ricksdisconnected

you dont have one? :wow:
    run it through your loop.

18. Filipe Soares

I think a lot about modding my SD1. Next time I'm in downtown I'll buy an op amp socket to start experimenting. I'd like to do the led clip mod and changing some opamps.

19. Micky

A 5532 is my go-to op-amp for BOSS pedals, you have to be very careful though, as the newer models are SMT construction. If you are lucky and can get an older model, the first thing to do would be to trash the TLO72 and socket a lo-noise chip in it's place.

20. Micky

I have 1. I need 2.