Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by scozz, Nov 14, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

What’s all the hoopla and praise for this pedal. I’ve been playing guitar for 50 years, but just this week I bought my first Boss SD-1 Overdrive pedal.

I’ve used many OD pedals during those years and I have, what I think is one of the the best OD pedal out there,...a Maxon OD9. I’ve owned it for over 20 years. But I keep reading how great the SD1 is, for years and years I’m hearing how great this OD pedal is.

So last week I decided to buy one and check it out,....what a disappointment!! Oh sure it added overdrive like it’s suppose to, but it also added its own tone,....which leaves a lot to be desired!

I have a great sounding amp and the last thing I want is an OD pedal coloring that great tone! I thought it would be a very transparent pedal, a pedal that would add some low levels of gain to enhance an already great sounding amp, not change the tone.

Man was I wrong, you know sometimes the grass looks greener,....but not this time. All I can say is my Maxon is going nowhere, and my SD-1 is going back to the store!

Attached Files:

2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

yeah keep that Maxon. i too have never understood the SD-1 fandom.
    just really doesnt sound so good to me either.

scozz likes this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I love the SD-1, first observation is youre using an attenuator, you really dont even need any OD pedals all you gotta do is crank your amp to get your dirt and attenuate. I dont know that you would benefit from it but with a big amp like I have I have to run everything low these amps are for stadiums. The best use for these pedals is as a clean boost, volume dimed and gain off, I have my amp pre-amp set at 5 and get an edge of breakup tone, then the SD-1 set as a clean boost with the drive set anywhere from off to 9 oclock for varying amounts of gain. Try it without your attenuator, amp knobs all on 5 and volume on 1 thats my core tone, then the pedal out front, dime the pedal level and adjust the pedal drive and tone where you want it, I recommend drive anywhere between off and 9 oclock.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Timely post Scozz. I too have been reading up on the SD1 to compliment my SV20. The demos left me scratching my head. I have a Tumnus arriving tomorrow. Hopefully it will live up to the hype.

wakjob and ricksdisconnected like this.
  5. ricksdisconnected

hell of a pedal right there.

6. bullhead

bullhead Active Member

I really wanted to like the SD-1. I bought one and I gave it all I had. After an hour or so of jamming with it pushing my 800, I just didn't get it or the hype. I returned it and I kept what I had. I'm having a lot more fun with the DS-1.

scozz and ricksdisconnected like this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Between my Maxon OD9, my TC Electronics Spark and my Danelectro Fish&Chips I’ve got the extra umph I’m looking for. I just thought I’d give the SD-1 a try, that’s all,...it failed, and it failed miserably.

I gave it a try and it failed,...I’m happy with what I’ve got. I thought maybe this was some holy grail of an overdrive pedal but I was mistaken.

I’m glad I tried it because now I know. No more wondering if I was missing something, I’m not, I’m ahead of the game with the pedals I’ve got!

8. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Burnley……. .

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Burnley? I don’t get it Jon?!

10. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

volume on max, gain no minimum, tone around noon. put that in front of your amp, crank it and have a good time. the sd1 is a fantastic boost pedal.

regardind the use as a OD... it´s 90% equal to a TS9... a little bit brighter only, and that you can solve it by dialing down the tone.

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

13. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

I get that !!! The days of my wife making me sleep on the porch are in Full Swing !!!

14. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

SD-1 has got it's own voice going for it, which is no guarantee that it's the pedal for everyone. If you find something you like other than the SD-1, then keep using that and move on with your day.

To me, the SD-1 has a great, throaty tone right out of the box. The new SD-1w pedals add a little more range, but very close to the original. All distortion/overdrive/dirt pedals have their own unique voicing, so it's just a matter of finding what's right for you. I like the SD-1 pedal, but I also like other distortion/overdrive/dirt pedals as well. I just think that you pick and choose what you like for a particular song and go from there.

With my current amp, the amp's distortion is more to my liking than what I get out of my SD-1 pedal, so the SD-1 is currently retired, but I'm also not going to sell it. But because I know what I'm getting out of the SD-1, I can always turn to it if I have the need for it's particular voicing. If you like the SD-1, then keep it; if not, then sell it/return it and move on.

15. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I'm with you @scozz : been using an OD9 forever as a boost for the DSL, and now the SV, it does exactly what I like as a boost. Then I got a Monte Allums-modded SD-1 for cheap at some point, and never really bonded with it.
    It has a certain gritty quality to it that I definitely see why some would prefer to the OD9, as it's kinda rawer/sharper and more a more agressive side. But to me the OD9 is the ticket (I also really like the OCD into the SV).
    Definitely a matter of taste though, but again, I'm with you on preferring the OD9 over the SD-1. Interestingly, I much prefer the OD-1 clone I built, as well as variations of the OD-1 such as the JerseyGirl Fulltender (it's kinda hissy though). Both are much smoother, making them closer to the TubeScreamer. My theory is, I prefer symmetrical clipping to asymmetrical.

scozz likes this.
  16. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I was never too keen on the tone of a stock Sd-1. I like a thicker, clearer drive tone. But they are a great mod platform and I had some fun twisting it's tail until it did what I prefer

17. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Have you seen this one scozz?

I like it's choices for voice enhancement. Pretty cool. Just a thought. Won't turn this into "look at all these other pedals" thread. I get what you found with the SD-1.

What amp did it go in front of? Just curious...

18. ricksdisconnected

roflmao.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  19. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

Ive actually been assuming there is something wrong with my SD-1. Ive had it for a few months and just not bonded with it, seems real muddy and quiet noisy.

On the board with a Red Llama and a Soul Food, I just cant get any tones out of it that make me pick it over the others.

I keep playing with it though as Ive read plenty of people swearing by them, so there must be tone in it, I just haven't found it.

tce63 likes this.
  20. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Its not for you, thats why we own lots of ODs they all do a little something the other doesnt. I like the Proco Rat for distortion too and like a Boss GE7 for low gain, I like to run the SD-1 and GE7 together for high gain. Next on my list is get a TS9 once I get this amp thing all sorted out. :yesway:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019