Boss GT8 discussion ?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by guzzis3, Oct 22, 2019.

1. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

So I've dug out my GT8 after it collecting dust for years and it seems the old Boss GT forums are dead.

Is there some obscure corner of the interweb where people are still discussing them ?

I tapped through some of the stock patches the other day. I can really understand why people hate the GT8. The stock patches are just awful, and I suppose it requires a lot of reading and experimenting to properly understand the beast. There are good sounds in there if you are prepared to dig, but dig you must...

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

I guess I’m glad I don’t own one ………

3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I think that is the opinion of all the preset patches, of all BOSS GTs, ever.
    I have had the 8, 10 and the 100. There is a swathe that all sound the same and the rest are ridiculous and aimed at no-one. I think some of the more ridiculous ones are there to showcase one of the more useless effects modules (e.g. slow gear) that 1 in a million buyers bought the GT for.
    Go 4CM, turn off the pre-amp sims, and just use it as an OD with time based effects in the loop. Good for MIDI though if your amp has it.

4. SkyMonkey

There is a fan generated manual called GT-8 Brilliance that may get you further than the BOSS one.

Attached Files:

Jon C likes this.
  5. Sir Don

Sir Don Well-Known Member

It's been part of my live rig for over 10 years now. I don't use any preamps just the effects, 4 cable method and midi switching with my JVM. Never had a problem.

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.
  6. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I've used the GT8 for many many years... never used a single pre amp or drive, 4 cable method, boost in front of my amp and happiness.

7. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

I have GT8 brilliance but thank you. I just remember the old forum and it was really interesting reading.

I like the 1959 model just for fairly clean practice into the 8008 but as you say you really need a proper amp to use with it. I remember when I bought it there was another board that was supposedly better for amps, possibly had a 12ax7 in it but I can't remember the brand, but the GT8 was considered the best for effects. I've never really been into effects so I figured it'd do me for life, and it probably will.

Mostly I use the jc120 full range because that is the cleanest model and I don't know how to turn models off altogether. I've thought about writing out the full menu trees on paper to help navigate the thing...so easy to get lost.

Thank you for the replies.

8. SkyMonkey

It should be straightforward to turn a pre-amp off.
    From p18 of the manual:

Capture.PNG
    From page 26:

Capture.PNG

9. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

Well ok. I realise that's how you switch off effects. I thought I'd tried that on the amp models and it didn't work but I'll go through it again carefully.

EDIT: I tried it again and it seems to have worked! I got to say though there still seems to be a bit of colour in the sound so it says it's off but there might be something I've missed. Or it could be the speaker cabinet. On really clean settings like this I switch back and forth between linear and valvestate on the 8008 and for the life of me I can't hear any difference, but maybe there isn't enough volume. Dunno.

I found a youtube video where he shows how to change your input level and I tried that and couldn't seem to get it either. Maybe I'm just dumb. Maybe I'll have a day with a clearer mind soon and I'll sit down and try to be more methodical. I have been thinking of writing myself a manual that takes a more linear approach to the thing, and probably making it available online in case it helps others. Most of the resources on the GT8 are about tweeking and even those which are more linear only give you bits and pieces. It'd be great to have a series of steps to make a sterile patch and then build it up step by step, understanding each addition fully before moving on to the next. The result would need tweeking afterwards but at least you'd have a better idea of how to diagnose and fix issues.

Anyway thank you for the comments.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    SkyMonkey likes this.
  10. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

I have one buried in my closet somewhere.:hmm:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  11. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Active Member

A friend used one with his plexi... Great tones!

12. SkyMonkey

You probably need to do some extensive tweaking in the Global settings (EQ, output vol, etc.) and A/B the un-effected GT-8 tones with the amp set to dry.
    I am far less fussy with my GT-100. I have just found settings I like that improve my DSL EQ, then add switchable OD/Reverb/Chorus/Delay. NS out front and first in the loop is invaluable too.

As for the manual. I keep mine tucked away in the W.C.!!!!
    Any time I have in there to "Sit & Think", I scour the different sections. You'll be surprised what you miss sometimes.

HOT TUBES 70 and guzzis3 like this.
  13. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

I'm not kidding when i say " Get rid of it " and get a different one .
    I've at one point owned several of these GT units , and the the best Boss GT tones are from the GT3 or the GT5
    They use the most true analog circuits of all the GT series floor units .

As mentioned above , turn off all the Amp sims , and pre amp crap , use only the effects , Tweaking is a MUST !!
    Running the 4 cable method gives you the best possible effect tones .
    IMO of course ...

14. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

I may have been a little hasty with my above comment .... ^^

It's just my experience after rowing though several GT units that i stumbled upon a GT3 , and was immediately shocked at how much cleaner or real sounding than the GT6 and GT8 that i had run for several years .

After doing some reading on a Boss GT web site i learned they got rid of a lot of digital / COSM stuff and went back to the old school analog circuits . If you do a read online , many players agree that the GT3, and GT5 can still hang with many modern units . Not to say that the newer units don't have some key features of their own , but at the heart or core of the Drives and Effects they sound pretty good . ( GT3 /GT5 )

Just to put things in perspective even my biased opinion might be .... Nuno Bettencourt still runs a Boss GT8 in his live rig thats been around the world countless times . lol And he's got killer tone live !!

SkyMonkey likes this.
  15. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

My drummer gave me a GT8 but missing the power supply. It's old and clunky and weighs a ton lol. Definitely a tank. I've mulled over ordering a new power supply for about 6 months now ...

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.
  16. SkyMonkey

Useless and hard to sell without one. Go for it.
    I think you can get a generic one for under CDN$30 on Amazon CA.

17. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

The other (better) guitarist in our band had one, to feed into his clean Solid State Fender FM212. We called it 'The Spaceship' on account of it's complication. Good sounds available though

18. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

Hi,

Thank you for the thoughts. I accept buying mine (new) was possibly a mistake but I've never been much of an effects person. I had no illusions this was any sort of ultimate solution I just figured it'd so me, and it does. It's work, more than I'd like, but there are satisfying results in their if you dig.

By the time I sold mine and bought something else it just wouldn't be worth the trouble.

What does have me baffled though is how my "practice" setup sounds now. 2003 american std strat (left) into GT8 into marshall 8008 (ss power amp) into 412 celestion super 65s. Stereo series 16 ohm. It's not a sound anyone would strive for but it's actually ok. There is a bit of chimey distortion, not much, but I can't for the life of me figure out where it's coming from. I've turned off everything I could find on the GT8, checked universal settings, yet still it's there... Should be quite sterile...

Anyway it's all good. I know no one cares but I'll be off air for some time from wednesday.

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.