bias settings jtm60?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by dirtysteev, Mar 15, 2010.

1. dirtysteev

dirtysteev New Member

I am playing through a JTM60, and i like the sound of this amp. a friend gave me a pair of new JJE34L's, suggesting they would much improve the mid-to-low end response. i am running sovtek EL34G's now, which i read negative opinions about, but i have nothing to compare them to, so i will give the JJ's a try (i REALLY liked what JJ's did for my fender).
    my question:
    should i rebias with the new tubes? i am familiar with the biasing process from re-tubing my fender, so no biggie there, except i am not familiar with the test points on the JTM are.
    thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. cudamax2343

cudamax2343 New Member

Bias everytime you put in a different tube. Try the JJ's and run them for a while until you search around for some good old NOS/real old tubes. Nothing new can compare IMO to an older USA made tube.
    I used to have one of those and it ran 510dcv's and I ran the bias at between .045 to .049 I think with some old RCA's.
    Watch/check the boards on those. I got rid of mine because of too much heat damage. Don't put it up against a wall and run it for long periods and a little fan back there helps alot. Even if its one on the floor. Those tubes cook the boards.

3. dirtysteev

dirtysteev New Member

thanks cuda, yeah the heat problem has already been addressed, i installed a fan.