Better speakers for a 1973x....

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Teh RedWizard, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard New Member

'Sup, first post here. So I'll get right into the fray...….I recently purchased a gently used 1973x combo, and while I love the sound of this circuit,( I previously had a '74x I had to sell back in '07 for financial reasons), the Greenbacks in there simply ain't cutting it for me. They are nice for cleanish, tremelo'd, 'trippy' stuff up to about 2/3 on the volume dial, but then completely mush out, and lack ballz and volume when I crank the amp and wanna get, for example- LZ's The Rover with my Les Paul.

I think it's a speaker sensitivity issue. Those GBs are only @ 96 db. I was thinking something like a Warehouse Green Beret/ Reaper combo might work, or Green Beret/ Weber Silver Bell combo? Any and all help appreciated, thanks!!:cool:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

How about Celestion G12H(55)?

3. mickeydg5

They are 100dB and known to be used as Marshall's (original) bass handling speaker.

4. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

One thing I'd recommend is playing the 1973 through a variety of speakers to determine if the mush is only the speaker or is the speaker only reproducing the mush from the amp when it's cranked? I tend to run a treble boost or a RAT with many loud Marshalls to filter some of the excessive lows when the volume spins toward the dime.

Russ

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Jakeboy likes this.
  5. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Active Member

I really like the WGS Green Berets. I have them in a 1960a and they sound better than any UK RI or MIC Greenback I’ve owned. I have a Creamback 75/Vintage 30 mix in a 2x12.. best speaker combo I’ve ever tried.

Teh RedWizard likes this.
  6. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

:welcome: to the forum

7. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard New Member

So another question here.....What is an acceptable mis-match between speaker sensitivities? Like for example, a 25w Green Beret which is @ 99.63, and say, a 30W Silver Bell which is @ 'about 98'?

8. mickeydg5

1.63 is not bad but it depends on the frequencies you like and want in accordance with the dB levels at those frequencies.
    Compare their frequency charts from specifications if possible.
    Ask WGS if they can supply that information.

9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I have the same thing, it is a good set up. I find a mix the way to go. I would look to Eminence for a good set of speakers. I like that they have sound bites so you can compare speakers, and they are better priced than Cel.

10. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard New Member

Any opinions on the Silver Bells here?:uk:

11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Sorry, I never had one. They do look like nice speakers but some are pretty pricey. I'm leaning towards Eminence these day's, great speakers at good prices and ton's to choose from. If I ever get some time I'm going to try 2 of them to replace 2 stock Carvin G12's I have in separate 1-12" cab's. (took out of the Carvin 2-12" cab, now w/ V30 / G12H-75) I would like to find the closest I can to the Carvin "British" series speaker's, Eminence made them for Carvin and they are my favorite.

12. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Quite a few boutique makers mix a G12M25 75Hz with a G12H30 55Hz with great results. Not tried it myself tho'.

13. proxy

proxy Active Member

14. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Oh. Done in one haha! lolz

15. fifteenohms

I think G12M-70 Celestions come close with their porous cone, doped edge and stiff suspension spider to the BR-12.

While I dislike the 70 it does smooth highs if thats why you like the BR-12

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I couldn’t find that speaker, is it a green back? The BR speaker I like is doped, large dust cover, and has a 100w capacity. It seems to do everything very well, clean as loud as you want, very nice crunch, and the distortion is punchy and cuts right through. I only have one and it’s in a combo / open back, but it sounds better than my V30 or my G12H. The new G12 Carvins are OK but nothing great. I wish I had bought 2 of the Carvin 2-12” cabs, their great with good speakers because you can run them mono or stereo, open or closed back, or just one speaker at a time.

17. fifteenohms

Lookup "Celestion Modern Lead 70" on the Johann Segesborn channel youtube and see if the different comparisons are for you.

They gave it a distinguished name in 1991 I think but the originals can be found used if you search G12M-70

18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I just found this on utube
    They sure sound cleaner than the V30. Run the vid and switch between 1/3 & 2/3 of the way through it. The V30 does less and less for me, when you really compare it with other speakers it doesn't do very well. The G12H/75 is a good stand alone speaker as well. I had one in a Splawn Streetrod combo amp and that thing cranked. It was an upgrade from Splawn and well worth it. I like it paired with the V30 also, they help each other ring out some real nice tone. Both my X-amp's ('89 combo & new ser. 4 head) as well as my Mesa TC100 head sound great through the 2-12" cab. I'm still going to get a couple Eminence speakers once I settle on which ones. Then I'll have 4 good but different speakers to mix and match and be able to see what is what. I sure wish I could find someone at Eminence to tell me, "oh yeh, our ******* is the same speaker", but Carvin spec'd that speaker so I may never know. *(I also think they moved production of the BR speaker in house, not to long after it was started.) I also just looked and the Carvin 2-12" slant cab's had the Cel. G12M/70 speakers in them in '88.

neikeel likes this.
  19. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard New Member

Thanks....I just found a 'scratch & dent' 16-ohmer,did about an hour of research, TGP reviews etc., and bought it! Description looks like it's right up my alley! Now I just need to decide what to pair it with???:ugh:

Maybe this one would work nicely with a Green Beret in that circuit???

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Turns out Bogner uses the same speakers in there 2-12" boxes as well but the 65 Creamback instead of the 75.

WholeLottaGlove likes this.