Better Hearing The Bottom Cab

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Cadorman, May 14, 2019.

1. Cadorman

Cadorman Member

So I am running a stock 1960b (recent model) with a custom pine A style cab on top loaded with regular 25w Greenbacks. Sounds awesome, but I really can't hear the bottom cab. I know the stock speakers are 2 db less sensitive than the Greenbacks and being lower are going to be harder to hear. I have 2 greenies inbound for the bottom cab. I'm thinking about putting these in the top positions and getting a pair of vintage 30's for the bottom slots as they are 2 db more sensitive. Or should I keep it all Greenbacks? Thoughts?

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Whatever is ear level, is what you are going to hear.
    But if you back up 50 feet, you will hear the other cabinet...
    True, more efficient speakers in the bottom might balance it out "more."

Cadorman likes this.
  3. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Thats exactly what i did and i love the way it sounds. Im in a wheelchair so i play sitting and i noticed i didnt hear the bottom row or the top row but i hear the bottom row in the A cab and the top row in the B cab so i swapped them around putting the V30s at the verry top and very bottom

speaker placement.jpg

soundboy57, SkyMonkey and Cadorman like this.
  4. netlocal

netlocal Active Member

When that house sound engineer say's "your not plugging in that top cab, right?":cool:

Cadorman likes this.
  5. Cadorman

Cadorman Member

I'm going to give the mix a try. Ordered a pair of vintage 30's to put in the bottom of the B cab and will have the greenies in the top of the B.

6. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

It's always seemed to me that the point of a Marshall AB stack is its unique mix of throw and stage volume. The audience at the back of the room hears the bottom cab, the player hears the top.

There are straight cabs with flat baffles angled back, so all 4 speakers point up toward your ears. For your desires, that's probably a better approach than loading a flat front bottom cab with super-efficient speakers -- that might blast the audience.

Edit: if you're up on a raised stage.

Some places you may be down on the floor at audience level, so efficient speakers in the bottom would work great.

7. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Member

That’s when you inform the Sound Genius “it’s in our contract.”

8. Cadorman

Cadorman Member

The speakers arrived today and have been installed. Honestly, I really like it. Standing 15 feet in front of the stack l can now hear everything. I may have been able to get away with just using Greenbacks, but I don't hear anything detrimental with the Vintage 30s, so I think it's a keeper.