best speakers for metal?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Large_Filter_Cap, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Large_Filter_Cap

Large_Filter_Cap Member

Looking for the best speakers to give me some tight bass with alot of mids too for cutting.

The metal I play would be slayer or metallica like speed metal so the speakers should be tight and articulate (i presume) when palm muting and picking fast.

I found V30's were mushy when palm muting.?? Strange cause I thought these would be great. They were new so perhaps they need to break in more.?

I tried G12L's (from an old Valvestate cab), and these were good, but could use better definition in the bass too.

Any ideas? thx

2. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

You seem to be flailing a bit. "Lots of mids" is not the typical metal sound. Metallica's recorded tone is super scooped mids.

The G12T-75 speakers are really good metal speakers in general as the have a slight mid scoop to begin with. Since you don't know what you want, I'd start with those and later on you might decide you need more of something else. But they are the "Marshall standard" for a reason.

The amp and guitar you use is a big factor too. I play with lots of mids with my Les Paul but scoop the crap out of my tone with the ESP with EMG pickups. I use G12H 80's which have a flat response and I use the amp to shape the tone more than having the speakers have a bias in frequency response. This gives me more options than the G12T-75's as I don't only play metal.

Ken

3. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

I did a write up in my Anything and Everything About Speakers thread. I've tested a bunch of Eminence speakers and I have already stated for your type of music get the Eminence Black Powder. Tight bass and punchy mids.

My Parts-Express review:

I've done extensive testing of Eminence speakers. The Black Mountains are very expensive. Enter the Black Powder. This speaker is very close to the bottom end of the Black Mountain for a lot less money. If you are into heavy metal and drop tunings, you got to try this speaker. Palm muting is very powerful and tight. Nice articulate speaker. Shout out to my man, Anthony Lucas-Eminence

Another speaker is the Patriot Swamp Thang. Here is a Parts-Express review. (Not mine.)

I also design and build my own 4x12 straight and slant speaker cabs for live and studio performance. My most popular and hands down best sounding cabs are a bit deeper than standard, birch and loaded with Eminence Patriots in the top and swamp thang in the bottom. Hands down they have the most crisp, yet full bodied, sound myself and others have ever heard. They are quickly becoming the first choice in the studio. Typically they are driven by Bugera all tube, Marshall all tube, Crate all tube and Bogen all tube heads. The sound is so amazing it's hard to stop playing through them as power chords hit you like a brick sh!t house and leads cut like a stiletto!

4. Large_Filter_Cap

Large_Filter_Cap Member

I guess I'm looking for a versatile speaker that can give me many sounds but also handle speed metal. I have been playing a new Mesa Rec 2x12 cab using my lespaul classic with the stock hot pu's. The cab in general is very good but palm mutes are suprisingly mushy, with a loss in focus, or articulation. I attribute this to the v30's... Mabye it the cab body too.? anyways, I have heard this was The metal cabinet. Although great for leads, it leaves me desiring more for tight punchy bass. I don't know if they need to break in some more. Anyways a let down for now.

5. george76

george76 New Member

try G12H with bass cones (usually T1281 models). not lead cones (usually T1217 models). there is a big difference. but the bass cones are definetly the ones you want out of the two.

6. george76

george76 New Member

I keep seeing you write this but have to disagree with your logic.

Marshall amps and cabs became 'industry standard', as you put it, long before G12T-75 speakers came along. So in theory nowadays Marshall could put whatever reasonable speakers they like in their cabs and people would still buy them. So long as they sound pretty good and there is a Marshall badge on the front of the cab most people are happy, and Marshall are well aware of that.

For more fussy buyers looking for something different they have higher priced cabinets with different speakers in them.

The G12T-75's are the "marshall standard" because marshall decided to use them as stock speakers, not because buyers decided they like those speakers the best out of everything else on the market.

7. rockinr0ll

rockinr0ll New Member

A hate to suggest the Celestion 75's but they might be your bag. I personally like Greenbacks but they sound more vintage rock. Maybe try some Warehouse Veteran 30 as they are suppose to not have the mid hump as the new Celestion. Heritage 65 would also be another choice.

8. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

Not the cheapest speaker in the world and also not the lightest but the ElectroVoice M12L is another favorite amongst metal players.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  9. customwhite

customwhite Well-Known Member

EV EVM 12-L Black Label (Zakk Wylde) 8 Ohm, 300 Watt RMS, 100 db (1w1m), 80-7000 Hz, massive low end, Zakk Wylde himself: "The perfect combination of the Gibson LP-style and a Marshall."

300 watt each, OMG...:headbanger:

10. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

Which just means that a cab of four of them will more than take what any 100 watt head would ever throw at them. Love that 100dB sensitivity rating. Theoretically they'll produce 120dB @ 1 meter distance away @ 100 watts.

blues_n_cues likes this.
  11. customwhite

I would like to try 4 of the ZW speakers with my JCM800 2203
    too bad they cost 300€ each.

12. IbanezMark

IbanezMark Senior Member

I have G12H-100's in one cab and G12K-85's in another.
    Both speakers are voiced very similarly and sound quite good for metal. They can retain a lot of low end without sounding mushy. My palm muting can shake walls without going to mush.

13. customwhite

Would that be a 1982 cab?
    I've got the G12H-80 speakers in two of my cabs.
    a 1982B and a 1984A bass cab. and I think they are great.

14. Large_Filter_Cap

Large_Filter_Cap Member

Does anybody have an opinion about the Mesa rectifier cab itself? Is it contributing to the sponginess of the bass ? Are they shyte for speed metal? Mabye a Mesa Stilletto cab for extra tightness ?

15. IbanezMark

IbanezMark Senior Member

Yeah, the 1982A has the G12H-100's. It's a 1987 model.
    The 1982B has the other speakers (installed at some point..)

Both cabs really thump with those speakers

16. Dr. Rawk

Dr. Rawk New Member

Oh dude I just sold a new quad of Electro Voice EVM12L Black Label Zakk Wylde Signature Speakers DIRT CHEAP! They ran me $1,100.00 new for the quad. You need to play them devastatingly loud to get any kind of cone movement because they are 300 watts power handling each but if loud is your thing these are effing BRUTAL!!

Otherwise Celestion G12T-75's is where I would be heading.

I also just sold a quad of Marshall Celestion Vintage speakers in my new 1960BV and dropped in a quad of 25 Watt Greenbacks for use with my JVM410h. Ahhh complete tonal Nirvana!!:)

17. customwhite

Cool dude,

There's a few here on the Marshall forum that
    really likes the 1982 cabs. :headbanger:

18. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

Another good one is the George Lynch Super V12. 150WRMS at under 10 pounds.

JBL E120's weigh 20 pounds each and are similar to the EV12L which is about 19 pounds.

hazmat7719 likes this.
  19. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

Greenbacks used to be the Marshall standard, back in the day. They suited the older rock/metal styles that the Plexi/S.L.'s were being bought for. For modern metal, which is what most Marshall owners play, the G12T-75 is a well designed speaker with the slight mid scoop. The reason they are the stock speakers is because they are very well suited for it. Marshall would not use a junk speaker for their flagship cabinets.

I don't use them myself so it's not like I have no objectivity because I own them. My advice is well taken though: a metal player who doesn't have some experience with different Celestion models should start with the G12T 75's until they know what else they want.

Ken

marshall1967 likes this.
  20. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

since i started modding my head i have been using a standard 1960 cab....before i got that cab i was using a 1960av....for my needs (hard rock to metal) the 75's are better
    the vintage 30's cant handle all the low end i have....and with the mods i have done i'm not missing the mid punch of the v30......but i am also thinking about building a theile quad cab with the EV 12l's....it's gonna be a lot of work and probably weight about 150lbs...but after hearing the Boogie 1x12 theile i am sold.....the projection of that cab was insane