Best LP guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jchrisf, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

have you heard about prestige (canada) they manufacture part of the guitars in south korea and the rest in canada, using canadian woods.

It´s a big bang for the buck. Mahogany, canadian maple, figure maple, gotoh hardware and duncans... Price around 1200usd.

https://www.prestigeguitars.com/

btw, not ugly at all.

[​IMG]

they´re on my wishlist for a while

CraigP, El Gringo, mirrorman and 4 others like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Tributes are nice, the ones I looked at didnt have the auto tune, if I didnt already have an LP I would have bought one. Look for a used one, they are super nice and dirt cheap for a real LP. :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hmmm. Never heard of them. I will look! Thanks dude! Who distributes them?

4. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Of all the LP's Ive had the one I miss the most was a white studio with the ebony board. It was one of the first ones with the chambered body so I think 08ish? Super light and resonant. I had like 5 2000's standards and they were good but none of them had that magic I was looking for so when hard times came they went out the door lol. I had a white 2000's custom for a while and it was just too heavy, like 12 pounds. I sold it and got a 98 R7 black custom. Light for a custom and resonant. If you are set on a LP play a bunch cause they are all different and try and play them blind. The notes on a good LP for me jump right out, the guitar will feel alive and very resonant. Might not be the best thing for someone going full METAL but it works great for me and my mid gain ramblings. Ive actually been wanting to try the SE 245's to see what they are like but no one around here has one.

5. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

7. custom53

custom53 Well-Known Member

I really like my PRS Custom24 but I also really love my Les Pauls''

Axcess - R9 - Standard..

3 Amigos.jpg

8. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

A spendy but very well made and excellent sounding LP style guitar is the Collings city limits. Retails in the $4k area I believe.

9. GavrielRafael

GavrielRafael New Member

Although im a loyal Gibdon LP player amongst the crowds of copies the Burneys and custom chibsons are very good bets, i was very surprised by a number of chibsun necks that turned out thinner, bodies where not chamered yet they where lite.

10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:funny:

11. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Last September when I visited Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville , I had a chat with a Gent who told me about Mr. Zakk Wylde who said " lightweight Gibson Les Paul's are for pu@#ies" (under 9lbs) true story !

Mr. Natural and Geeze like this.
  12. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I’m not sure where you guys are buying Les Pauls, but a new 1959ri should list for $6500 and sell for about $5000 to $5500. Wildwood Guitars have some of the very best hand picked LP’s and they ask stupid prices sometimes. They will go down on them though in most cases.

13. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

LOL Zakk also dressed in pink and had a pretty fancy hairdo in the 80's. Lightweight LP's are for people with taste.

Wildeman likes this.
  14. 79 2203

79 2203 Well-Known Member

I see R8 plaintops going for AU $3.8-4.2k on Gumtree quiet regularly. Seen a couple for $3.5. R9's about a grand more. But yeah, still alot of money

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  15. 79 2203

Collings are about the same as a R9 here in Australia. Probably more.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  16. 79 2203

I saw 2 high end 80's Greco's for sale recently and they wanted more than used R9 !!

17. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

IMG-20200423-WA0002.jpg

My Orville LP Custom is probably the best bang for the buck guitar I scored... the tone of that things is unreal. And I'm happy about that, cause it delivers the looks as well.

Poly finish instead of Nitro and a Rosewood board instead of Ebony but that particular slab of wood is so dark you can't tell from a distance. Long neck tenon too. Have I mentioned the thing sounds amazing? At around 9 pounds the weight is manageable as well.

Unbenannt.png

My ESP Eclipse looks sexy as fuck but it's as far from a proper LP as it gets... she doesn't sound bad but when you pick it up after you played the Orville it is a night and day difference.

Feels more like a Superstrat, way thinner neck, XJumbo frets, a lot lighter and thinner and the tone is also not as full. Not a bad guitar at all, but if you want a LP, get one. The Eclipse models are more for modern styles imo. Unless you get one of the full thickness models which are said to have the playability of the ESPs and the tone of a Gibson since the body is the same thickness of a proper LP as the name implies.

18. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

A couple days ago I decided to A/B some guitars ....

With me at the moment ,
    1988 Historic reissue '54 Custom
    1973 LP Deluxe
    1956 LP Junior

I wanted to really see if that "furniture" sounded that much better than the $100 plywood Hondo LP copy I've been workin on

They did not . They all sounded like me playin 'em
    My conclusion , either it just don't matter ,OR Ive gotten pretty darn good at tuning a sow's ear over the last 30 years ....

I think if I had no Les Paul and wanted somethin of that nature without spending a mint ,I'd look at a Tokai / Burny / Orville or somethin .....maybe no higher than $750 range ?

19. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Yup, prob the most important lesson GAS can teach us. Gear doesn’t make us any better.

tce63 likes this.
  20. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Heritage USA, about $2500
    [​IMG]

Wolf about $500
    [​IMG]