Best LP guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by jchrisf, Feb 23, 2020.

1. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

I've always wanted an LP guitar and recently got a PRS SE245 Soapbox. It is a great guitar.. got me thinking, are there anymore nicely built LP style guitars to consider other than Gibson and Epiphone? If Gibson and EPI is better than the PRS I've got to try one. I really like the look of the ESP LP guitars.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Its all good, you just gotta go try them and see what floats your boat and at what price point you can handle. :yesway:

3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

in what world is this true?

4. ricksdisconnected

pretty much.

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  5. jchrisf

In the world of internet forums :D

Most LP fans say it ain't an LP unless it is a Gibson.

6. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

There is no answer other than this

7. jchrisf

Good to know.. in this day and age it is hard to find a physical store that stocks them. I hear a lot of good things about ESP quality (even with their $250 model). I also hear a lot of bad things about Gibson's quality these days.

tce63 likes this.
  8. jchrisf

I hit all my local stores and they didn't have any LP models. GC is a hike for me but do they usually have a good supply of different models?

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. tallcoolone

It’s the internet, I hear lots of bad things and good things about literally everything lol.

My buddy has one of those cheap LTD copies. He loves it, but he’s never had a LP. I played it and as a LP guy I thought it felt like a cheap axe.

10. tallcoolone

I paid over $2500 for each of my Les Pauls and I’ve been gigging them for over a decade. If it takes a day to drive to a guitar you want, get a hotel.

11. ricksdisconnected

100%.

El Gringo and tce63 like this.
  12. ricksdisconnected

your on a roll this morning. :applause:

El Gringo, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. ricksdisconnected

im guessing this would depend on your area.

14. ricksdisconnected

your right on both points here, but dont rule any of them in or out based on what you have read.
    in the end you can only listen to what your fingers tell you.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I dont know if they all have good supply of LPs but its worth a phone call to ask and then take a drive. The best part about GC is you can look online and have something sent to your house and if you dont like it send it back for a full refund. 45 day return policy :yesway:

You have the PRS, thats sort of an LP shape and on par with Gibson quality, so I'm not sure what else youre looking for. :shrug:

16. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

A PRS SE 245 with humbuckers can get pretty close to a real Gibson, even more so then an Epiphone, I think. I use to own one and could A/B with my Traditional. The necks are very similar in feel. At one time I had an Epiphone LP Custom, PRS SE 245, along with my Gibson Traditional. The SE 245 got closest after I upgraded the steel bridge with one that had brass saddles - Mann Made one. I believe the current models now come with a bridge that is similar, which is very nice. I would still have my 245 except a guy offered me one heck of a deal in trading for a Gibson LP Classic. It still boggles my mind why the guy wanted to do that trade! He did get cash on his end but I figured I paid about $1300 for a mint condition less than one month old LP Classic. BTW, I would say that the 245 is closest in sound to the LP Classic. If you have the $$$$ get the real deal, if not, then the PRS SE 245 is a pretty good second choice.

17. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

I own the three Epi "ZW" clones. I love the chunkiness of them but don't play them much for fear of damage.:erk:

However, I would like to actually trade them all in and get an authentic "LP Custom". It's the only model I really like because I can't stand the inconsistency of the ugly trapezoid inlays on the lower end models. :facepalm:

18. RatDaddy

RatDaddy Active Member

Whenever I hear someone new to LPs (for the most part) ask about a GLP recommendation I always default to a Traditional. Probably the most important thing to consider (among other things) on an LPs is the neck - thick, thin, shoulders, no shoulders, C, D, etc. Traditionals are probably the best over considering price to quality. They mainly, depending on the year and model come with 60's slim or 50's rounded (chubby) necks.

19. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Guitars are like women - same plumbing but NOT all the same [for the guitaring gals the same can be said of dudes...]. You have to try them all. I used to think I hated LP necks then I found a 2013 Standard with their newer neck profile. Turns out I didn't like the lack of tummy cut - but I got over that because I liked everything else. Now I have an '82 Standard that weighs a ton - a must for me - and it's #1.

Russ

20. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

I dream of owning a Gibson LP Standard 1959ri but with a $9,000aus price tag they can stay a dream.

CraigP and tce63 like this.