Best High Gain Marshall?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by xophrax, Jun 18, 2009.

1. xophrax

xophrax New Member

I need a head that will provide me with great cleans and high gain, what do you recommend? I play all types of music so I need versatility, but mostly gain, preferably 2 channels or more.

Thanks!

2. Landshark

Landshark Well-Known Member

JCM 2000 DSLs are sweet. Even the new one's with the MC4x12 cabs sound amazing.

3. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

4. gtrman

gtrman New Member

I would go for JCM2000 DSL or TSL. The TSL has 3 channels and give you more flexibilty. The 2000 series is pretty common and shouldn't be hard to find in music shops or in classifieds.

The 6100 is also a good option as it has even more flexibilty and in my opinion even more gain but they are harder to find as they are anniverasry models.
    Marshall 30th Anniversary Series

5. xophrax

xophrax New Member

Yeah? thats what ive been considering, what about the TSL?

6. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

The TSL is great, but the 6100 owns them all.

I'm not speaking out of my ass either. I actually own the DSL/TSL 100's and the 6100.

No contest. You can even find them nowadays on ebay and craigslist for reasonable prices. What's great is that if you buy one now with the suck ass economy, if you decide to sell later when it rebounds you'll have no trouble recouping or even making a profit.

I actually bought one of mine from a guy I hooked up with via CL and he just wanted it out of there so he let me have it for 700 bucks.

It also does midi, and uses 6L6's.

7. xophrax

xophrax New Member

I think ill just go with the TSL... I dont want to buy off of ebay, i want it brand new, outta the box.... thanks again though guys

8. Landshark

Landshark Well-Known Member

They are very similar... Just with an extra channel. I use the tsl because I like having a very heavy modern rock sound and also a vintage sound for some leads. Then of course you can make the clean channel just sparkle. But also IMO if steelhorse says go with the 6100 I would.

9. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

If you can find new TSL100's let me know bro! I can't find them at the usual outlets.

10. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

Personally, for high gain, I like the Jubilee. If you can't find one, next best option is the SL-X, then the DSL. I'd stay away from the TSL - I personally find its clean channel lacking and the high gain tones buzzy. The DSL and SL-X are way smoother.

11. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Best high gain Marshall? That's a tough question because there are a lot of things associated with the high gain aspect. Are you looking for the best high gain sound? Are you interested in determining which marshall has the most high gain?

The jubilees, dsl, and tsl are all high gain and can get you great high gain tone. But you have to remember that technology advances, so each amp model builds on the technology of its predecessor(s). So, any of the aforementioned would suffice your high gain needs, but you gotta try them out and be prepared for many differences in tone, gain structure, etc.

At present, I'd say that there are two marshall tube amps that probably have the most gain of all: the kerry king jcm 800 head and the JVM 410H. The Kerry king head has an incredible amount of gain that has to be heard in person-very thick high gain sound. Unfortunately, it's clean tone is not much to rave about, but it's OK if you adjust your settings. The JVM 410H is an entirely different beast. Now, you can get the JVM as a two channel/three mode 100 watt head, but I'd look into all other models as well. The 410H is getting a good reputation for it's clean channel, but it has character that takes you from mild gain to very insane high gain tones. With the JVM, a little turn of the gain knob goes a long way! In my opinion, these two marshall tube amps have the most gain of any marshall ever produced. I'd give the nudge to the JVM for it's clean channel tones, but it's up to you to decide.

I try to limit my comparisons and contrasts to stock amps, because modified amps can have a long history to consider (what type of mod was performed; what did it sound like before vs. after; what was the owner unhappy about or try to improve; what other mods have been made; was a mod undone; did the mod add or remove something; etc.).

12. xophrax

xophrax New Member

Ok, its a simple statement, "I need a head that will provide me with great cleans and high gain", of course I want it to sound good, who would want an amp that doesnt sound good?

Thank you for all your info, but it doesn't need to be made into a difficult question.
    And as for the JVM, I tried the JVM410H at Guitar Center, and it sounded like crap, I wouldnt buy that amp for 100 dollars.

13. ARKITOOTHUS

ARKITOOTHUS New Member

Does the 6100 have as much gain as the JVM? Can it nail more modern high gain tones or no? Is it heavy?

14. Broken

Broken New Member

I would suggest the DSL for great cleans and high gain...and it sounds great.

15. xophrax

xophrax New Member

Ok cool, i think im gonna go with the TSL though, and if i dont like it ill return it and get the DSL for sure.

16. p3dsman

p3dsman New Member

I would recommend the DSL personally. But the TSL from what I heard is good as well, I do hear more ppl saying they like the DSL over TSL, but thats all opinions like mine here. I bough a brand new full stack with MC412A/B Cabs about a month ago. Nothing short of amazing, well exceeds my needs and I play classic rock all the way to heavy metal sounds with it no problem.

Good luck, I'm sure you will be pleased with either model.

17. xophrax

xophrax New Member

Ok cool, thanks.

I love the DSL, but I need the TSLs features more, so im gonna buy it and see how it goes, then if i dont like it as much as the DSL, ill trade it in and get the DSL.

I wish I could afford to get both, that would be perfect haha.

18. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

Yeah you'll be fine with the TSL. I find myself always going back to mine because of the 3 separate channels and the 2 effects loops etc.

When I want a true clean, crunch and lead, they're all there at the tap of the switch in real time, no knob fiddling required.

19. 155

155 New Member

get the tsl bro dont be scared! Im afraid 1 persons idea of high gain isnt someone elses?? the tsl will go there hatebreed style!

20. steelhorse

steelhorse New Member

Yeah but who has 2.5-3K for an amp (Jubilee) just laying around?

The SLX is becoming harder to find and the prices are climbing when I have seen them and they're pretty much a one trick pony and sounds like the guy wants to have more flexibility so that would be a poor choice imo.

The TSL is a fine choice as is the DSL.

Smooth is about the players gear, how the gear (guitars & amp) are tuned, the players hands and ear imo.

Every TSL I've ever played sounds just fine. Are there bad ones? Sure, but there are bad DSL's and Jubilees as well.

Sounds like the OP is going brand new and is on the right track. He's covered under warranty if it's flocked up or he can sell or trade it for a DSL.

All that said, I'm sticking with my original recommendation of a 6100 although I know the OP is leaning toward a TSL.