Best for resale in your opinion - Friedman head or combo?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by rick16v, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat, it took me years to find what I really like. I like a lot of diversity in an amp and I only want a couple so I use them more. I boiled it down to 3, I have a Mesa TC100, Carvin X100b from '89, and will buy at some point a Marshall toned amp. (Most likely a Plexish Ceriatone) I have no place to try all the amps I would like to try so it took awhile. (And a tone of dough) I'm also way to picky and won't settle for close enough, but that's my bad. Once you get your core amp that does most of what you want, whether it be Mesa, Marshall, Peavey, you can keep your eye peeled for great deals on used stuff cheap. Amps from the 80's - 90's like Carvin & Peavey bring no real $ and are awesome amps once you find the ones you like. I'll bet I'v blown over $5000 trying to find "my" amps, I hope this helps keep your money in your pocket for other toy's. Hang in there my man, it'll happen, it'll be painful... but it will happen.

rick16v likes this.
  2. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

def..the tax benefits make this the best option..max out each year,,i think the limit is up to 7k for us over 50,,,

steveb63 and Frodebro like this.
  3. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

You're right. DSLs, Peavey Classics etc are all real bargains second hand. Cheers man.

4. rick16v

I think you're right. Combos are more portable, but a head is definitely more versatile.

5. rick16v

So er..... heads or combos. Which do people prefer?

:thumb:

Nik Henville and Deep Purple fan like this.
  6. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully the thread is back on track for you, Rick :yesway:

rick16v likes this.
  7. rick16v

Thank you mate, appreciate it. :yesway:

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  8. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

To actually answer your question Rick, I feel the combo is much more versatile. You can run it all by itself or stack speakers with it, a good closed back cab for it to sit on is ideal. The amp is the same in either you just get a quick grab unit to play with as well as a great rig to gig with if you add a good cab. I always liked the fact you could put all the cord's and a couple pedal's in the back of the amp so everything was there when you got to the gig. I also always buy the cover for whatever I get to keep it all in and keep it in good condition. For years I used to take my Carvin combo and set it on a 4-12" cab where we played, but only had to move the combo and guitar. To each his own but I really like combos and have had great luck with them. A lot of guy's here get a lot of mileage out of the DSL 40 combo and Peavey now makes a perfect 1-12" cab for it to sit on with a Greenback in it.

rick16v likes this.
  9. rick16v

Thanks man, great answer. I'm the same, I was going to go for the combo. Then my pal said he thinks it would be much harder to move a combo on. It started me wondering.

10. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Heads tend to fetch more money used.
    I prefer heads too.

Any kind of head, actually, is a good thing when you think about it...

I was referring to beer and amplifiers, you dirty minded MFers :drunk:

11. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Unless it’s a Fender, heads always

BftGibson, Trelwheen and rick16v like this.
  12. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Well-Known Member

Good point

13. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Good answer !! Been a/b ing all week for next song.4 marshalls & 3 fenders.. Closed back on M & combos in F seem to really bring out the best in the circuits. I find Marshall(modern) combos sorta stiff ..took the dsl40cr out & made head & got it up on proper cabs & it woke up..might seem crazy.. put my head in there while the speaker was out..had to say something to wife for work dispatch...the cab deadened things..like actually stopped the vibrations...doing all my fender speaker changes..the cab is really part of the amps sonic equation..the big 3d openness they project. With M always looking for that tight crunch/bottom in a closed back. just recent observations..especially on the modern stuff..it seems stiffer in general..my Friedman Runt lasted about 3 weeks...had my tech friend mod dsl100 up...choke..caps..dif taper pots ect..it smoked that runt(runt nice in room..but seemed to over compress in recording)..i just packed it up & took the loss

rick16v likes this.
  14. rick16v

20 or 50 watt? There is a 20w going relatively cheap that caught my eye.

15. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

I’m a combo guy. I say combo, especially since it is a small combo.

But... like others have said, buy what you like and not for potential resale value down the road.

rick16v likes this.
  16. rick16v

I'd be happy with either and I know I'll resell eventually. it's seems like good sense to minimise my losses.

jcm800gridlock likes this.
  17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Rick, have you looked at Ceriatone?
    http://www.ceriatone.com/
    Take a good look at these amp's in the "british style" section. http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2202/ This one looks very nice and the price is very good.
    This is awesome as well. http://www.ceriatone.com/ceriatone-son-of-yeti/ *watch the last video.
    I'm looking at one right now : http://www.ceriatone.com/hot-rodded-plexi-chupacabra-50/
    And this: http://www.ceriatone.com/hot-rodded-plexi-yeti-50/ All are very cool and all seem like a great deal. All of these amps can be had for $700 - $1100 shipped from a place called Guitar Amps USA http://guitarampsusa.com/index.php?route=common/home or call Ceriatone and they will build you a custom one. I'm going to buy one of these for the "Marshall" sound. These sound even better than the Friedman's, are more versatile, and cost less. I'v looked at just about every Marshall type amp out there and even if they all cost the same Ceriatone is the way I would go. Because of my other amp's I only need a single channel amp that can cover all of the british style sounds I want and these do it best. I watched a lot of the video's A-Bing Plexi's and modded Plexi's and these sound best to me. Take a good look and check them out.

Here's what people think about them.
    http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/nad-ceriatone-20w-chupacabra.108970/#post-1863018

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    rick16v likes this.
  18. rick16v

Thanks for the reply man. They are brilliantly priced. I've seen the name before but never actually considered them. I'm after lower wattage combo or lunchbox head, and they have a few. Thanks :yesway: