Best cheap tube head on the market

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by stratbred, Nov 17, 2008.

1. stratbred

stratbred New Member

I've been stuck with solid state amps for years. I was about to upgrade to a JCM 900 last year, but ended up missing out at the last minute. (The joys of craigslist). I've sorted through countless models, but can never test them all side by side. I'm curious as to what the best quality used tube head for around $300-$400 USD would be. My only concern is that I want something definitively tube, no hybrids. Also, while I'm not expecting a miracle for that amount, I need decent tone.

2. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll be lucky enough to find a Marshall head for that amount. You could probably find a Crate tube head in that price range.

3. bigdawgnate

bigdawgnate New Member

here what i would do, this is the best way to get a sick marshall tube amp cheap.
    go to ebay and buy a traynor superbass amp or ultrabass one of the two. it is made with tubes and has super close to the same wiring scheme as some of the early high gain plexis, even though it is made for bass it sounds amazing with guitar. good luck :) you can even get it modeed to the original plexi circuit

4. lerxst88

lerxst88 New Member

maybe look for a DSL401 or 201. i bet you could get one for 400

maybe an epiphone 15 watter. its all tube, one knob and 15 watts is loud enough.

what kind of music do you like to play anyway?

5. Brett Blackmore

Brett Blackmore New Member

6. jtm-series player

jtm-series player New Member

7. spooky joe

spooky joe New Member

Plenty of good advice.
    Seen cheap DSL401's and JTM30's on the bay.
    I know you say your not keen on hybrids but the 3203 Artist is a great amp.
    Managed to get one for £140 ( $220 or so ) on ebay.
    One of the best kept secrets is a Carlsbro 50 Top although if you're in the U.S. might be hard to find.

Good luck

8. stratbred

stratbred New Member

Hey thanks for the great advice. I play a small amount of classic rock, but mostly shoegaze/experimental (lots and lots of effects) and alternative rock. I have heard some good reviews of Blackheart heads, but understand they're owned by Crate, which doesn't have the best reputation on tone. I'll look into a DSL401 or 201 as well. I checked out a Marshall Artist Series 3203 which wasnt bad, but the hybrid aspect was a deciding factor in keeping my offer low and the seller thought it was worth about $500, so no go. Traynors are a possibility but I've heard finding parts is a pain in the neck.

I'm now quite interested in perhaps an Ampeg V4, I understand they're relatively in my price range and parts are readily available. And who doesnt love an Ampeg?:)

9. Duffy

Duffy New Member

This thread just sort of dropped out.

What did you do?

By the way, the Blackheart 3/5 watt 'lil Giant head I have is incredible and has beautiful tone thru my Epiphone one by twelve V Jr. Cab or my Epi So. Cal four by twelve big cab. Crate has been producing some awesome amps lately and the old stigma is, in my opinion, no longer applicable.

My four Crate amps have been totally reliable.

Duffy

10. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

i have to agree with you on that , i had a chance to play thru a blue voodoo
    head , and it was the best tone from a CRATE that i have heard .
    i have a zz-top dvd and billy gets great clasic rock tones on his amps.

11. troyad

troyad New Member

Peavey windsor? I got a head & cab for less than $500.

12. plexipaul

plexipaul Active Member

For low to medium volume Orange Tiny Terror, without any doubt. I own one myself. TT does the low volume better than my superleads with PPIMV or attenuators.
    For medium to loud volume i recommend Ceriatone. I`ve played their 1987 and 1959 models, both with PPIMV and their tones are excellent.

13. smb_

smb_ New Member

Yeah, the Crate V33's and Blackheart heads are a wicked deal for what you can get one for!
    The only other suggestion I can think of is the tiny terror. I seen one locally, BRAND NEW, for $420 (plus tax), and that's in Canadian dollars too :p
    Being able to flip a switch for 'bedroom levels' and 'practice levels' is a sweet ass feature!

Good luck on your search dude!

14. riffdrive

riffdrive New Member

I've always been a high-wattage all-tube head guy myself, and never really thought much about class A amps until I heard the Blackhearts. Duffy's right. Older solid state Crates did sound like crap, but the Blackheart class A amps sound great, take pedals really well, and they're CHEAP.

15. Shawn Fate

Shawn Fate New Member

16. sojatriani

sojatriani New Member

17. Shawn Fate

Shawn Fate New Member

18. DragonSarc

DragonSarc New Member

My buddy have a Blue Voodoo 50 watt head which its not bad, I got this V30H today due to my TSL is still in the shop my little MG is not giving me the satisfaction and need a good tube sound OD so played it and all i can say is wow it blows the Blue Voodoo away!!! bought it for $200 not a bad deal :hippie:

[​IMG]

19. tresmarshallz

tresmarshallz Well-Known Member

Do you have any equip to trade in? I live in New England are and there is a chain of music stores (Daddy's Music) that take any used music gear you have as a trade in. You could put trade-ins toward a used tube amp. I just did this and was able to pick up a nice Marshall TSL60 head for only 400 cash plus trade-in gear.

20. Onza_Jk

Onza_Jk New Member

yeah you can get a Peavey windsor half stackk for $400 from muscians friend ;)