Best budget Marshall head for Ace tone

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Alexander Knott, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Alexander Knott

Alexander Knott New Member

What is the best affordable head for ace tone? Can you get it from an Origin series? I am referencing Ace Frehley by the way. I have a Katana head with a Marshall plexi patch but it just isn't as close as I would like.

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Didnt he play a JCM900 SLX? Get one they are relatively inexpensive on the used market probably around $600 give or take.

El Gringo and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I think he used 2203s with 6550s mostly, then JCM900 SLX with 6L6s during the 90's.

A DSL40C on the classic channel crunch mode might be a good bet if you can't find a 900 and a cab.

For speakers it sounds like he used G12H30 blackbacks. At least that is how I hear Rock Roll all Nite. So maybe a G12H Creamback in a combo.

Jethro Rocker and El Gringo like this.
  4. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Budget
    Head ?

MOSFET 100

5. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I second MOSFET 100

6. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I'm going to say Origin. Either the 20H or 50H depending on what you need power wise. Crank it up and hopefully you have a Les Paul to run into it.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. marshalltsl

marshalltsl Well-Known Member

I third MOSFET 100. In Europe are really cheap.

8. kustombob

kustombob Well-Known Member

I never knew Ace had a tone. Just loud.

scozz, jmp45, Bull Rock and 3 others like this.
  9. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Harsh but......

10. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

The last time I seen Ace Live he was using Marshall Vintage Modern heads and whatever kind of Marshall cabs . Let me tell you his volume and tone was bone crushing loud and my ears were still ringing the next morning when I woke up . The show was grand and Ace was Great , and played everything you wanted to hear including a smoking hot Cold Gin with the requisite solo and the smoke slowly coming out of the neck pickup in his Signature Ace Lighting Bolt Gibson Sunburst Les Paul which after a bit of smoke the fire was coming out from the neck pickup and Ace rocked us good and hard and at the completion of Cold Gin he said to us "still smoking after 40 years" which was an awesome line ! Ace did reference KISS and said something to the effect of it's been a long time since I was onstage with "those idiots" which was funny as heck . Great show and great guitarist !

11. kustombob

I did not mean to sound harsh. I loved KISS and ACE was great. Saw their first tour with RUSH as the warm up in a small auditorium. A year later they exploded and were playing the big arenas and the rest is history. But I never thought he had a tone. Robin Trower ' Blackmore' Gibbons ' Marino' had a tone you could tell instantly. This is not a bad thing. Ace had a style of playing that stood out more than his tone. This is just my opinion. Will never forget when I was 15 seeing them come out on stage and playing Deuce and just blowing the house down.

12. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Active Member

I don't know. A Les Paul and a Marshall sounds like tone to me!

El Gringo likes this.
  13. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

Tough to beat a plexi to get Ace's tone. My SV20H does a great job of approximating it and I'm sure if I really sat down to fine tune it, I could get even closer. And adding some Dimarzio Super Distortion humbuckers will get you even closer yet.

Disclaimer--by "Ace's tone", I automatically default to one of the greatest "live" albums ever recorded, KISS Alive!. If you're looking for his Dressed To Kill tone... yeah, I can't help you there.

***further edit- I completely glossed over the "budget" aspect of the original poster's inquiry. I can only suggest gear I've played through... Perhaps a Class 5 with some sort of treble booster pedal?

14. Alexander Knott

Alexander Knott New Member

I wasn't clear in my above post, I am definitely talking about the KISS Alive tone/sound. I can play a lot of the material but it just seems that it is missing a lot in the sound area. I like most of the suggestions so far and looked in my area today. I can get an AVT50H, early VS100 head, and a DSL20H right now. I can not find any MOSFET heads anywhere.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Check GC online used Marshall gear, they want a lot for them now, don’t look past the Origin series, they almost get that plexi vibe.
    Cheers

16. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I have the DSL20HR and Origin 20H as well as the Jubilee 2525H.

Everybody's ears are different i guess but of the 3, Mini Jubilee 2525H is out of your price range, i don't get the DSL suggestions. It's a great amp and the classic gain channel is classic gain for sure but it has more compression in its tone. The Origin is more open sounding with a crisp bite. When i think of Ace, at least my 70s era of listening to Kiss, i think of that tone. Plus, these were already a great buy for the money when they came out but now they are even further discounted online.

If i had to play in a Kiss cover band I'd go the SV20H route without question but it's backup would be the Origin.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ace had some tone . How many guitar players did that Cold Gin intro launch ? (Raising MY hand)

Early KISS is a great example of classic Marshall tone ...rockin , not too gained up like you MFer's today

Early KISS was nothing but 4 hole Marshalls.....because that's all there was
    DiMarzio Super D to kick kit in the ass a little . In fact , I listen to Ace's solo record quite a lot when Im travelin . Some great Super D tone !

ibmorjamn, tce63, 6550 and 4 others like this.
  18. kustombob

You wont get Ace 's tone unless you have 12in platform shoes .

Geeze, nickfox, SiCoul and 5 others like this.
  19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:funny::cheers:

SiCoul and tce63 like this.
  20. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Never jumped on the KISS bandwagon, but. But loved the guitar tones. Some of the best guitar tones I've heard on recordings. Reading an article on him. Stated he liked to double his guitar parts with a single coil guitar. Thought I'd try it. Ended up with some of the fattest guitar tacks I ever heard. Give it a try. You'll be glad you did.

nickfox, kustombob, tce63 and 4 others like this.