Best amp for 60s plexi sound: 1959 HW, vintage modern, yjm100, or JH 100?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by usablefiber, Jun 30, 2014.

1. usablefiber

usablefiber Active Member

I am feeling my yjm isn't a totally accurate representation of a vintage style plexi and was considering flipping it for one of the aforementioned amps. Also looking at the standard 1959 slp, I have seen these on the market for much less than the yjm.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks.

2. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

The YJM is based on an early 70's metal face 1959 (i think a 72 or 73?), so if you're looking for the truest representation of the 60's, you've got the wrong amp (same is true w/the 1959SLP). I believe the components in the HW are voiced a little more toward the 60's (69?), as well as the same being true for the Hendrix model (i.e. not as aggressive). Another option you might want to consider is the Vintage Modern, for which the platform was the Hendrix amp you've mentioned (just a pcb / hot rodded / etc version). The YJM is accurate, but perhaps not accurate w/respect to what you want from the amp.

3. SwampThing

SwampThing New Member

I fear you will regret it if you sell your YJM for a stock Plexi.

I'm not a proponent of signature gear at all but if there was ever a "Hot rodded" Marshall out of the factory it would be the YJM.

....That being said.....

The Marshall Vintage modern is quite the Amp

4. sullimd

sullimd Well-Known Member

If the YJM isn't giving you what you want, then a Vintage Modern sure wouldn't give you what you want. My opinion.

5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

6. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

The VM is based on a JTM45 w/KT66's, so it definitely covers the 60's vibe, and like I pointed out, was designed around an amp he asked about (JH100), so I think it's a natural fit for the question. That being said, it does move away from the 1959 EL34 driven sound, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out if you're aiming for the 60's w/some versatility. I had one for several years and loved it.

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  7. LMP2204

LMP2204 Active Member

best amp would be a late 60's plexi...sorry I couldent resist. but try any JMP and if its a master volume amp don't max out the gain. for the prices of metal face jmp's to a real plexi your ears will perceive the tone as damn close for the thousands in money you saved.

marshall1967 and chuckharmonjr like this.
  8. Tone Slinger

Tone Slinger Well-Known Member

I agree,if you sell the YJM you 'may' have regrets, but maybe not. It (YJM) is, pretty much,what you described as wanting and more. Only thing I'd say is that, like previously mentioned, it is based on the early '70's era metal panel 1959's. These are typically a bit brighter and more aggressive than the plexi's, but really thats just a slight value change of the bright ch. plate cap and the addition of a cathode bypass cap over the v2a cathode resistor. More high end, upper mid gain there with those changes.

Maybe the additional circuitry is 'dampening' something in terms of the sound and feel of your YJM as compared to simple 'stock' 1959 spec ? It has a loop and Od, digital reverb, etc.

If you arent Using the YJM's 'Bells and Whistles' then maybe try a regular old (or reissue) 1959. Whether its a pcb (mid '73 to the present) or a PTP doesnt matter. Just download a plexi era circuit layout or schematic (SDM or Metro Amps has LOADS of diagrams) and let your tech swap out and or add a couple components. Obviously on these simple amps the TUBES are a VERY important part of the circuit. You may want to spend a pretty penny on these (old EL-34 Mullards being the holy grail both pre and output).

So like mentioned earlier, try out a mid to late '70's era JMP 1959 ($1400 to $1900 or so) or a used reissue 1959 (doesnt have to be a ptp handwired reissue) for around the same $1400 to $1900 used.

9. LAARS

LAARS Well-Known Member

The 1959 would do it. It's tough without a master volume. I use a Rivera Rock Crusher with my reissue 1959 SLP. The 1987 would be more manageable for volume. 50 watters and 100 watters are voiced different so you might want to try them both.

10. SwampThing

SwampThing New Member

How do you figure? It's comparing a Maserati to a Shelby Mustang.

The VM starts at a JTM circuit.

MonstersOfTheMidway and The Ozzk like this.
  11. 6StringMoFo

6StringMoFo Well-Known Member

A DSL 100/50's green channel pushed with a diamond compressor might do it for you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7WnYKo7oCo]DSL and the Marshall Forum - YouTube[/ame]

USAPatriot likes this.
  12. Michael RT

Michael RT Well-Known Member VIP Member

13. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

The YJM is based on a 1973 1959s. If you are looking for a late 60s style amp, the 1959HW would be good, but not exactly a night and day difference. The Metro 12000 is a good alternative to the 1959HW. Its an absolute beast with some nice features.

If you open up the EPA on the YJM, it really starts to come alive. Apparently it sound better with a regular attenuator (although I don't think many will get it own to the same bedroom levels as the YJM).

dash8311 likes this.
  14. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

Go get yourself a Metro 12,000 Series ('68 Super Lead 100 clone). If I had the money right now I'd do that instead of investing in 40+ year old amps, especially after one of mine blew up.

It won't cost you a kidney like a real 60's Marshall... well maybe just an arm & leg.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    MonstersOfTheMidway and yladrd61 like this.
  15. sullimd

sullimd Well-Known Member

Because if a 1959 circuit with modern features isn't giving him his desired "true vintage 1959" sound, then a modded JTM circuit isn't going to be CLOSER.

Ive owned 2, and I wanted to love it so bad, but just couldn't get into it. He may love it, Im just stating that a modded JTM isn't closer to a vintage 1959 than a YJM.

16. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
    Get your hands on a Metro 12xxx head. Pure plexi bliss. Used to own one wish I still had it but I needed an effects loop. Love my YJM100 though and is more what I need.

yladrd61 likes this.
  17. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

How long ago did you purchase your Metro 12,000? I was gonna say most of them nowadays include a lot more bells and whistles, such as Metro's custom Zero-Loss FX loop even used by a couple of members on their mods/custom builds.

18. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

From another thread. The first minutes of this video sound very plexish... a hot plaxi you might say. It's a vintage modern.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cpytcgL31E]Guitar Center Sessions: Slash-Shreddin' - YouTube[/ame]

19. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
    Mine had the zero loss loop but loops dont jive with the PPIMV. Overloads and sounds garbled and distorted like running time effects in the front.

20. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Another no brainer question. Play the Marshall amp that the greats used in the 60's, JTM or JMP models.