Because The Internet: How Social Media Ruined Music

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by 67Mopar, Jul 12, 2019.

1. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

"Memes have reduced meaningful art into mere jokes. Retweets and likes have become more important than sensible, long-winded discussions. The opinions of others are starting to be based off of that guy with twenty-thousand followers’ because his words “hold more value”. It’s shameful, but certain artists are unfortunately using this to their advantage. A few artists are slowly beginning to realize what’s going on, and they are now purposefully making music to cater specifically to the feeble, weak-minded audience of social media users. They’re not doing it simply for their love of the craft anymore, but rather as a desperate means of staying relevant..."

https://medium.com/@darianoneil/because-the-internet-how-social-media-ruined-music-ec2022282aa4

I have but one question... Who the f*** is Drake? :shrug:

tubes, Boxtrot56, DaDoc and 3 others like this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Who is "Drake?"
    I don't have a clue. And I don't care who he is either.
    But in a lot of ways he is correct.
    The internet has not not ruined musicians, but definitely changed the way musicians are going to see a profit from making music.

tubes, Boxtrot56, DaDoc and 3 others like this.
  3. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Active Member

What has the fake world of social media not ruined?

Boxtrot56, 67Mopar, DaDoc and 2 others like this.
  4. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Big deal. So what.? Who cares.? Move on.
    Drake is a fan of the Toronto Raptors who are this years World Champion NBA team. ( They play basketball)
    BP

5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

6. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

i agree with the article indeed but heres the thing, they are getting paid huge for doing it this way.
    they dont give 3 shits if the songs even come close to a 5 yr lifespan or not, its all about what they did yesterday
    and whats on the books for tomorrow. its simple but it works.
    the music world is pretty much run by the 14-25 yr olds when it comes to the age of the targeted market.
    this age group pretty much eat, sleep, live and breath social media. if you want to stay relevant ya gotta have your face
    and product where your target market is likely to see you.
    social media is the entertainment hub of the world. what better place for these folks to target their own age group?
    its the new way guys. rap is staying on top because they have figured this out. maybe thats why the good rock music has all
    but died off? sure rock is still around but its a flicker of its former glory. there really isnt any guitar music any more either.

royslead, LRT#1, Cadorman and 4 others like this.
  7. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Active Member

It is unfortunate how the internet has changed the way artists get paid. Only a select few reach financial success while the rest of the artists struggle to make ends meet.
    Wait, isn’t that the way it’s always been??
    The big difference today is that crap like Drake has a platform called the internet.
    This is how we got Justin Bieber as well. It’s on us to wade through the garbage to find the gold that’s out there. A whole lot of garbage, for a tiny bit of gold.

8. netlocal

netlocal Active Member

I’ve noticed a trend in my area in recent years where these bands aren’t interested, and even look down upon, anyone who can rip on the guitar. Or any other instruments. Kind of like the punk rockers of old. At least the punks had a kick-ass attitude. I’ll take the punks any-day:agreed:, over this current crop of namby-pamby musicians. And yes I attribute this to the numbing effect of social media. Who’s got time to learn to rip when your incessantly checking your iPhone for new “likes”.

Boxtrot56 likes this.
  9. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Edited for positive form.

Question... Why are filmmakers and authors protected, yet songwriters are not?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    DaDoc likes this.
  10. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Don't know who Drake is, don't know who Drizzy is either. But I suspect I probably wouldn't care much for their stuff.

Good article. And so true. I've suspected for some time now that we're seeing the "Beginning of the end", humanity's descent into a high-tech Orwellian society in which everyone will be monitored and controlled by technology. It's already happening big-time in China, everyone there is being given a "social rating" in which if their "rating" drops below a certain score, they're denied certain things, such as monetary credit or pubic transportation, or even in some cases buy groceries..When ya think about it, it actually wouldn't be that hard to do in a society where plastic is the primary form of currency.

My 23 year old Granddaughter is visiting us right now, and I'm both astounded and worried about the amount of time she spends on her computer and iphone, she can't go ten minutes without having her nose buried in the damned things..It's like watching a junkie with his heroin in a lot of ways, and this whole technology thing is growing so fast I can't help but wonder where we're going to be 10-20 years down the road..At this rate, I just can't see it being a nice world in which to live. I hope I'm wrong.

As far as music goes, this is something that's been going on for some time now actually. The corporate music biz would love nothing more than to be able to get rid of those annoying little creatures known as musicians, and replace them which a form of "music" produced entirely by machinery owned solely by the corporate music biz. Of course social media has nixed even this, since it's so easy to download music and bypass having to buy music and accordingly, take away artist's royalties..I have no sympathy for the commercial pop/rap crap, but it sucks for the real, hard-working songwriters and players who try to do it right.

LRT#1, Cadorman, Dogs of Doom and 4 others like this.
  11. netlocal

netlocal Active Member

2112:hbang:

12. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"What has the fake world of social media not ruined?"

We carry in our hearts the true country and that cannot be stolen.
    We follow in the steps of our ancestry and that cannot be broken.

Sir Don, netlocal and Boxtrot56 like this.
  13. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Active Member

It is deeply saddening even at its most basic level. We check ourselves, is it just us getting old, less tolerant....well, yes, we are, but it is top-shelf total shite that we must wade through to find the gold, as has been stated.
    It's very hard to bypass this shite, as it is omnipresent....all we can do, hard work though it tends to be, is seek out the good that does wander in and, hold on to the treasures that have been there for us...many gone, but never forgotten.
    At 63yrs old (in a few days time, dang nabbit!) I recall well my youth, filled with going to live gigs weekly. There was plenty of seriously bad stuff that captivated the masses back then - in some ways nothing has changed, other than the sheer volume of it and its almost inescapable nature, due to social media etc.
    We live in a world where people are killed by smart phone addiction, and their preoccupation with that shiny bright screen, as their lives are snuffed out. And I'm understating that considerably.
    Hard for us not to crack the sads, but let's just keep the faith, ignore the incessant bilge, and bollocks to the arse clowns who, quite simply know not what they do.

14. ricksconnected

15. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

16. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Active Member

Aw, thanks Rick!
    I try not to 'do' birthdays, although my wife will insist upon it.
    I do appreciate the advance greetings, buddy, thank you! :) :cheers:

netlocal and ricksconnected like this.
  17. Dogs of Doom

I have a different take on this...

Back, in the '90s, when I was having my go at "making it", the trend in the industry was to get a lot of people w/ little talent, that they can take from obscurity & make them a product.

So, they'd take them, teach them how to play, perform, how to dress, what/when to eat, poop & piss.

They'd get them to sign a contract & they were owned, sort of like slaves to the biz. Think "Welcome to the Machine".

"what did you dream?"
    "it's ok, we told you what to dream"

That's how the industry went to the Disney model of recruiting kids to exploit. That's how you also had all the boy bands, end up suing their manager/label, after they got big, because they realized that they were being used/exploited.

Very few got their day in court, & that was because they were minors when the contracts were signed & they were able to renege, which put the labels in a retro-active conundrum. If the minor (now adult) refused to cooperate, then, the contract dissolution would be retroactive & they could have to pay back everything.

David Cassidy was one of the 1st cases of this. If they didn't settle to his whims, the studios would have had to remove every trace of him in all Partridge Family recordings, including the songs, acting parts, etc. They would have had to settle w/ whatever the court deemed acceptable for them exploiting him w/o a contract...

Those, not so lucky (who signed poor contracts as an adult), were stuck w/ their poor contracts & typically, the boy band, etc., simply broke up - then they got sued by the label & most had no compete agreements that they couldn't perform together for such a period after breaking their contract w/ the label/management.

I know of quite a few bands, who "got signed", but, the label shelved them. It probably was more of a buyout to competition for a band that they promoted. They owned (p0wn'd?) them, so that they could not sign under another label to compete w/ _______ (name big mane band on label). So, they signed, got a few lousy bucks, recorded a demo & ended their careers.

I'm not so sure about robots writing music, that is palatable, for the masses. The labels, usually have their buddies, that they want to make rich, so, they sign said nobody, bring them up through their program, then give them songs written by ______ (name famous writer).

W/ this, the label makes billions & the "artists" make pennies on the dollar. That's why they do not want creatives. Creatives know how unique their gifts are & expect to be paid for them. Labels think they can mold someone into a product & give them a means to sell their product. The musician/singer is deducted to that of a laborer. Just someone who clocks in & clocks out. If they work their ass off & tour, they might be able to make some money, but, it's not that simple.

I remember a friend of mine telling me about the music business (before this was the model)

There's always a lot to the business side of things that nobody thinks about. they just think, I'll make it, be rich & famous :woot:, but reality is that the business is a crude business. If you don't play the game, millions are there right behind you that will...

DaDoc, LRT#1, tubes and 2 others like this.
  18. Dogs of Doom

I posted a thread on this...

DaDoc, LRT#1, crossroadsnyc and 2 others like this.
  19. Boxtrot56

Boxtrot56 Active Member

@Dogs of Doom - What a truly beautiful, totally apt piece of animation. It exemplifies it perfectly....Id really love to know it's source, and for any further similar work...it is outstanding, really very beautiful.

20. ricksconnected

was touching wasnt it.

Boxtrot56 likes this.