Batting and a 1960b cab

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Oculophilia, May 24, 2014.

1. Oculophilia

Oculophilia Active Member

I changed out the stock G12T-75s in my B cab for Vintage 30s. I was completely unimpressed after the change. Boomy and boxy mush is how I would describe it.
    $7 worth of polyfill totally changed that. Being a B cab it's bassier than my A cabs, but now has tighter lows with nice top end sizzle.

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Vents/ports in the back can have a similar effect.

3. Oculophilia

Micky, are there any advantages to porting and venting over using batting? After using the polyfill the difference in tone is night and day.

4. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

This is a question for MartyStrat.
    He is undoubtedly the speaker expert here...

5. MarshallMark

MarshallMark New Member

All the cool kids are putting V30's in an X pattern with 75's. I jumped on that bandwagon too. I've got a B cab also and it's not mushy at all with two V30's and two 75's. FWIW.

6. Oculophilia

Mark, yeah the 75x30 combo sounds good. I prefer though having all the same speakers in a cab. I was basically doing the same thing by having my A cab loaded with WGS veteran 30s and my B cab loaded with the 75s.
    The problems I had with the Vintage 30 was probably as a result of the design of the B cabs and the enhanced mids reflecting off the back panel. Though admittedly I am far from an expert on this.
    Anyway the stack sounds great now.

7. Kid Klash

Kid Klash Active Member

Venting an enclosure is done to tune the low frequencies. A closed back enclosure will have a gradual low end roll off, where a tuned enclosure will raise the efficiency of lower frequencies, depending on the internal volume of the cabinet, the vent(s) area and length, and the Q of the driver. Most vented enclosures also have a form of batting too, to help tune the cabinet and to remove the slight "reverb or echo" quality of the box insides when you get close to the vents. This is way more critical in a speaker used for critical mixing, or for home audio. Because the typical six string guitar doesn't go down as low as a bass, venting or porting a speaker cab generally isn't needed. I'm guessing that the batting inside the 1960B is tricking the 30's into "thinking" they are in a smaller box, which would restrict movement of the cones, resulting in a "tightening up" of the sound. I'm also guessing that if the batting is making the 30's "think" they are in a smaller box, you've tuned the box so that it won't go as low in frequency as it did without the batting.

8. Oculophilia

Kid Klash, that's very possible. It's sounds counterintuitive but from what I had read the batting actually makes the cab act as if it's larger by slowing down the reflection from the rear panel. Thought that could be incorrect. I had read lots of conflicting opinions on several forums regarding whether adding batting improved tone or not and I came across this page Tame The Boom, Grow Your Cab: The Wonders of Polyfill | Pick Roar and it made sense to try it out.
    As for the results my full stack sounds great now. Very 3-D. Before the batting, the vintage 30s sounded no where close to the tone of my WGS veteran 30s in my A cab. Now they both are in the same ballpark.

9. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

the insulation (batting) takes all the sharp edges off the sound/tone of the cab,..many manufactures use this,..have you ever seen how much insulation is used in the UBER cabs!!!...good god!...there's no free area at all...(like others have said,..the UBER cab comes with the v30/75 split)

why don't you wanna mix speakers in a cab?

last but certainly not least,..please!,..i am begging ya to try this!!,..i wont cost ya nothing but a little time!!!!!...remove the 2 top speakers...and leave them speaker holes empty,...then thank me later

wakjob likes this.
  10. Oculophilia

SG~GUY, Yeah the V30/75 combo sounds good. I had my A set up like that sometime ago. I just prefer having all the same speakers. Everything is the same efficiency/volume and you don't have to decide whether you mic one or the other. The 75s sound decent with my 2204, but doesn't suit my 4100 or my Blackheart that well.

I have read before where you have recommended removing the top two speakers. Next time I have one of cabs apart I'll check it out.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with setup as is.

11. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

+1 on the Uber cab. Ridiculous amount of batting, and 10 ga. wire!

From what I've studied up on the whole adding batting to a cabs interior, it's recommended that you only add it to two adjacent sides. Bottom and either side for example.

12. Marshall_Watts87

Marshall_Watts87 New Member

the only way I would go with a V30 G75 combo is having them in separate cabs. 75's rule. I'd actually like to go with a quad of K100's.

13. Oculophilia

I'm glad Wakjob brought this up. What is everyone's opinion of using 10ga wire? I have a pile of it.

14. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Pictures or it never happened! :lol:

Seriously, I'd like to SEE what you did to have a better idea.

15. Oculophilia

Pedecamp, All I did was to check the tightness of all the screws and add the polyfill sheeting to the rear panel. I took 1" polyfill sheeting, doubled it up and cut it to fit. Stapled it in and closed the cab up. It sounded great after that.

I like it so much I'm going to do it to my other cabs as well.

I'll ask again, anyone have any opinions on using 10ga wire to wire up the speakers?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  16. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I don't really know what 10ga wire is doing sonically. It may be attenuating some high frequencies? IDK.

But I can tell you this much, don't plan on switching speakers often if your cab has 10ga. wire. You'll need a healthy sized soldering iron or a blow torch to get it off of the terminals. Wire that thick acts like a heat sink with the amount of solder at the connection.

Plus, the whole "don't use solder as glue" rule goes out the window with wire this thick.
    There's no way to get all the strands of wire through the eyelet of the terminal.

I wanted to experiment with a few WGS speakers I had laying around for my Bogner Uberkab.
    I pulled one speaker out through the front, took a look, and put it right back in.

Benefits? Meh. I'd stick with 16ga. lamp cord.