Band dynamics

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Kim Lucky Day, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

as you said it's not a full time job, and is meant to be fun.

I would have never joined this band based on what you've said about the other players abilities after jamming with them once.

I've had to end bands in past as well, knowing full well me walking away was the end of the band..

- was jammin with a drummer (basically was my son's best friends step dad) that thought practicing was listening to the song and air drumming it out in his truck on the way to rehearsal, and a bass player whom after 3 months couldn't be bothered to learn a basic 4 bar octave thumb slap progression. We played a couple small pup gigs as well, even that was a nightmare and a lesson in humility.

- One of my previous covers bands, the bass player got into cocaine, and joined 2 or 3 other bands. we were rehearsing at his house, and he was also the booking manager. After 2 years things went down quickly. I'm playing with the same drummer in a new band currently.

If it gets to the point you're not looking forward to the rehearsal, buddies / friends / pals..... it matters not, it's time to call it IMHO.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

[QUOTE
    If it gets to the point you're not looking forward to the rehearsal, buddies / friends / pals..... it matters not, it's time to call it IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Unless there's a pile of money involved it probably pretty much comes down to this. What the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear. In the great words of Don Henley.

Harlequin tusk and Kim Lucky Day like this.
  3. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

I know the pain...
    I finally have a guitarist that is hungry and can play what I write...picks up quickly.
    He doesn't write like I do, which is fine...since we are trying ti write multi genre music (except some...is pretty bad).
    But he does listen and want be to do the arrangements/actual construction of the song because he knows I can take his 2 riffs and make a really good song out if it with structure.

The drummer...
    Self proclaimed music scholar that studied and can read/write music and was a classical guitarist (thus far, after almost 20 years...I can't get him to even tab out any of his drum parts)
    Toured with Iron Maiden, was on the verge of signing major record deals....you know the bullshit stories (has absolutely no proof to any claims made.

He is an ok drummer and a friend (full of more shit than an outhouse at the boat launch during salmon season).
    After almost 10 years, he is finally memorizing the parts, still can't stay in 1tempo, and will argue till he vomits that "I or someone" changes the songs. No Jim, I can't change the songs as they are constructed around the lyrics. If I change the riff, the words won't fit.

I about walked several times, because yes...I was to point where it wasn't fun, I didn't want to go there anymore.
    Lately, things have improved and songs sounded tight.

There is where recording helps.
    Even if it's just to find the holes so they can finally be addressed proper and fixed.

The only way to get better as a musician, is to play with better musicians than yourself.
    Guess that's way I regressed in my abilities.
    I haven't been challenged or pushed in 20+ years.

Harlequin tusk and Kim Lucky Day like this.
  4. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

The group started as just an informal jam group. Original bass player dropped out, brought in our current bass guitarist. Went through another guitarist who was pretty good but literally only wanted to play one genre (one artist specifically). Went through a really bad singer. Finally settled on the current configuration.

My biggest beef is this- I won't fault anyone for a lack of technical ability (to a point, which unfortunately our 2nd guitarist pushes). I'm not the most proficient guitarist but push myself to get better and know what I need to work on and how best to go about it. But when you play in a cover band and you can't figure out how to play your part on the most basic level, it is just painful. Before coming to the group I primarily did home recording where I played/arranged everything. You really develop a good ear for how the various tracks come together. This has come to serve me well playing in a cover band.

Take You Shook Me All Night Long. On the original, there's clearly one guitar playing the 1st half of the verse. The 2nd guitar comes in to double the rhythm on the 2nd half of the verse. It's about dynamics, building to the chorus. Instead I get the other guitarist attempting to mirror what I'm playing, without the basic understanding AC/DC's unique syncopation in their songs. As such, it ends up sounding sloppy and bushleague.

At this point, I'm going the route that band/gig experience, whether good or bad is still valuable experience. And if something better comes along, I will investigate it to the fullest and do what's in my best interests.

I appreciate all of your feedback!

5. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

I'm still working on my audition tape. :shred:

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. Lance Chambers

.......yet still at it! :shred:

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  7. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

I’ve joined a few bands over the years that all started as informal jams. It’s all fun and games until someone says, “we should play out!” I’m in one band now, very similar to OP’s situation. Of course, they want to gig and post recordings on a band website but we can barely get through any songs without screwing anything up. I keep telling them that we are not tight enough to do anything commercially viable. So, you guessed it, the drummer books us a gig in April. I expect this to be a disaster but maybe I’m being negative.

KraftyBob, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Record your rehearsals, play them back prior to a rehearsal or after, they can be useful in monitoring your progress.

9. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Yup, we did that and that’s when I realized that there is no way we were ready to play out. No problem, I just got a text that the gig has been canceled.

KraftyBob and tce63 like this.
  10. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Some people just will not get it even if it's spelled out using very small words and short sentences. I wonder why these people want to play but I guess anyone can want to be a rock star but that doesn't mean everyone can.

11. Lance Chambers

I'm still at it.........:shred:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Bummer but it gives you more time to get it together.
    On a side note, my grandson has been in a punk band for about 2 months, their first gig is tonight.
    They are playing a place called
    The Doll Hut in Anaheim CA.
    So any of my SoCal bro’s here that are not doing anything, please swing bye and give them a listen.
    Cheers

KraftyBob and Lance Chambers like this.
  13. johnny q

johnny q Member

I totally get what the OP is trying to say.

There is a fine line between calling out band members playing parts incorrectly, singing out of tune etc.....and being a jerk. I can't help but call out these imperfections and I am as kind as possible about it. However, it is often met with sourpuss faces and sometimes utter denial. I continue to play in my current band because it is low comittment and fun, but it kills me that it could be so much better, if certain members upped their level of standard and took a little pride.

Showing up not knowing your parts, constantly screwing up the same part of a song at gigs, playing too loud, not in tune. Thumbs down man.

And the "second" guitarist comment in the OP really resonates with me. Unless it's a coordinated approach, i.e. playing independant parts or recreating songs played by 2 guitar bands - simply strumming out of tune, sloppy chords brings zero value.

14. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Mitch - how did your grandson's gig go last Friday?