Back To The Rack...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Pleximan, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Pleximan

Pleximan Active Member

I'm now running an ADA MP1 preamp and an old school Midverb 3 into the return inputs on my Marshalls. So far I love the rig thru the 2203x. Sounds huge!!! This rig nails the 80's hair metal and shred metal at any voume. Any other MP1 users out there? It's a blast from the past for sure. I will now need a back up MP1 and have the little disc batteries replaced in them since they are only good for about 10 years from what I hear...

2. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Well-Known Member

Nice! I'm upgrading my rack with an Eleven Rack this week, hopefully!

Nudge68 likes this.
  3. Rocktane

Rocktane Well-Known Member

Cool! I've been tinkering with the idea getting an old MP-1. I'm pretty sure some of my favorite 80's tones were recorded with those.

4. chadd

chadd New Member

I love the old Alesis effects units, I have a Quadraverb 2 that I use with my TSL

5. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

don't use rack preamps or any other type of preamp other than the one in my stock JVM, but the ADA stuff is pretty good.

The Alesis stuff (midiverb, quadraverb) has some really great sounds.

6. axe arsenal

axe arsenal Active Member

Around 1990 that was my rig :
    ADA mp1 and Alesis quadraverb into the low input of a 2203 and 2204.
    I had a spare mp1 in my rack aswell.. It was a good combination, a good sound ,although it lacked some bass.
    Sold my rack gear (and the JCM 800's) around 1998 when I got myself a TSL 100.

7. Pleximan

Pleximan Active Member

I also read that some guys put a BBE sonic maximizer and EQ in line...I don't see why??? Mine is huge and full. If you could have routed yours to PWR amp in it would have sounded better...

8. Red_Label

Red_Label Active Member

I spent the entire 90s gigging with an ADA MP-1, Boss GL-100, ART DR-X, and some SS power amp that I can't remember the name of. My tone did not suck. But I HATED tweaking my patches on-the-fly when trying to alter my tones to suit the rooms I played.

My buddy spent the same decade running a Marshall JMP-1 into a Rocktron Intellifex, into a 9000 series tube power amp, into 4 Marshall 1960 cabs. It was an AWESOME tone. He's still got that rig (even though he's moved-on to better tube heads). I tried to buy his JMP-1 off of him a while back, but no dice. Great unit! His rack is on the lower left, and the four 1960s are there as well. I used to get up and play a set with his band back in the day and it was always fun to feel that wall of sound behind you.

[​IMG]

9. Mosher Zone

Mosher Zone Well-Known Member

I started using rack stuff again recently when I picked up a cheap Digitech Legend 2 with foot switch, it's a cracking unit but I've always wanted to get my hands on an MP-1 or 2 just to see what all the fuss is about plus most of my favourite thrash bands used them. :hbang:

10. Nudge68

Nudge68 Well-Known Member

Very keen to hear how you like that Eleven Rack :yesway:

cheers,

Matt.

11. lucidspoon

Me too! Should be here tomorrow! I've always liked and wanted one, but I went to a workshop where Gary Hoey demoed one live, and was blown away with the quality in person.

12. pinto79

pinto79 Active Member

I have an MP-1 that I bought from Bob Hartman of Petra. He was the main reason I started playing guitar in the first place, so I jumped at the chance to own a piece of his gear. It's a great unit. I'm still trying to find a way to incorporate it into my JMP-1 rig...

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.
  13. lucidspoon

Loving the Eleven Rack! Amazing tone for a modeler. My only complaint is that, while there's several amps and effects, it just seems like there should be more, even with the expansion.

14. MKB

MKB Well-Known Member

I had a MP-1 for about a decade, and it gave excellent service. But its replacement (a JMP-1) sounded more Marshally. The MP-1 is more versatile than the JMP-1 though, it can get good Fender semi-dirty tones that are not in the JMP-1. But the JMP-1 does a much better Marshall imitation.

That's funny, years ago I almost bought one of Bob's custom Zion strats from Zion Guitars. Wish I wouldn't have let that one go. He is quite the player.

pinto79 likes this.
  15. pinto79

pinto79 Active Member

He had some SICK Zions.

I've tried learning some of his stuff... that boy can PLAY! Tasty licks too.