Avt and tone

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Phil Nic 11, May 17, 2019.

1. Phil Nic 11

Phil Nic 11 New Member

Anyone know which pedals are best to run through an avt 100w valvestate to get that bluesy John Mayer tone or am I wasting time and need a tube amp

2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I only have experience with the SD1, but maybe a tube screamer, or an eq pedal, I will highly recommend a eq here. Cheers Mitch

3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Just been looking at a John Mayer live vid on YT. 15 seconds in you get to see his live pedalboard setup.
    OMG! 3 separate banks with about 20 pedals on each.
    I am thinking that your amp is the least of the problems achieving his tone!

Looks like a PRS Head + cab and a Fender combo behind him. Can't tell what they are though (tube or SS?).

4. Phil Nic 11

Phil Nic 11 New Member

Yeah I get what your saying but I’m
    Only looking to get somewhere close not exact just wondered if this amp could create anything like that sound via the way the inbuilt effects are used or if the pedals would drive the amp or if the actual channels could be set up a certain way to get a closer tone but any ideas are well received thanks for the input

5. Phil Nic 11

Phil Nic 11 New Member

Any particular eq pedal sorry very new to all these brands and various suppliers

6. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

The amp should have a good clean channel, but I doubt you can get a smooth overdrive tone from it...all the valvestate stuff I've played was geared more to in your face distortion.

I would look at some of the milder overdrives from JHS and Wampler...maybe Keeley has something too.

You could also try something cheaper like the Boss DS1 or MXR Classic Overdrive but I think they may still be a little less smooth?

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mine is the mxr 10 band eq.

8. Robert Herndon Project

Robert Herndon Project Well-Known Member

All that hardware for such a generic tone....

KraftyBob and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. Robert Herndon Project

Robert Herndon Project Well-Known Member

Not sure about how to dial up Mayer's tone, but in my personal experience, the Valvestates- in general - seem to be geared toward higher gain production.

What I can tell you is that that on my 1997 Marshall Valvestate VS265, when I replaced the single 12AX7 (Marshall White Letter ECC83) with a 12AU7, it greatly smoothed out the tone of the amp and reduced the amount of gain significantly...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

And then there’s Angus Young:

guitar —> cable —> amp

11. SkyMonkey

Hi Phil. Sorry. I wasn't meaning to be judgemental about your question/situation.

I am not familiar with John Mayer or your amp (got the Valvestate II VS65R).

I would hazard a guess that John Mayer definitely uses full valve amps, but then he can afford to (and is probably sponsored).
    If you are working to a budget then I would recommend sticking with the AVT100. Full valve amps are a lot more expensive to buy and to run than SS or hybrids. The AVT seems to have some basic onboard effects to start you off, but I think you will soon find the limits of their usefulness.
    I am assuming you already have a Strat type guitar. An all valve Fender amp would probably be a good upgrade bet. Then, as stated above, you would want a smooth drive/clean boost pedal or two. A multi-effects pedal can get you a long way on a budget.

Check out this Andertons "sound Like" vid for someone having a stab at his rig on a budget.

Good luck.

Phil Nic 11 likes this.
  12. Phil Nic 11

Phil Nic 11 New Member

Thanks man no worries

I’m literally gathering info as Much as I can so appreciate all feedback and input

That’s great I can’t seem to find anything great on the net about adjusting the dials on the avt to make the best clean tone to start with and build from there but I will just experiment myself with the clean tone and add a few pedals into see what happens

Any ideas on where to start on a full valve amp on a budget?

Thanks again Phil

SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Phil Nic 11

Phil Nic 11 New Member

Any other brands anyone would suggest just to get an idea of options?

14. Mitchell Pearrow

The dsl40c or the newest version dsl40cr, and if clean is what your after the origin will fit the bill nicely, plus both amps are budget friendly. I know because I have both of them. Cheers Mitch

Phil Nic 11 likes this.
  15. SkyMonkey

If you know anyone who could help you avoid a dud I would say go second hand. You will save a packet and get a broken-in speaker. The risks are getting an amp that needs tubes replacing or a known fault with a specific model (do your research, this forum is full of advice if you use the search tools).

So my advice would be:
    Start with a modest combo, 20-40W (probably as loud as your AVT100). But not too old.
    Buy from a shop you trust (you can trade in the AVT).
    Take your own guitar to test with.
    Try to find one that is in good exterior condition.
    Insist on looking inside the cab if it is closed back (has the speaker been changed for a crap one?).
    Test the amp for an extended time (1/2 an hour+) to get all the electronics and valves up to full heat, then check for noises and any burning smells.
    Test every jack socket, button, switch and slowly turn every knob to hear for dead pots, crackles or jumps in tone or volume.
    Try to test with an extension cab too if there are multiple speaker jacks.
    If quiet practice is important to you test the headphone jack.
    And.......it doesn't have to be a Marshall! A Fender tube amp might be more suitable for what you want.

I concur with Mitch though. The DSL 40W amps are killer. I can get almost every tone I need from my DSL40CR.

Mitchell Pearrow and Phil Nic 11 like this.