Australian Wildfires

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Wooferhead1, Jan 9, 2020.

1. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

David Attenborough is a narrator.... Sorry to break it to you.

It's sad to see the wildlife being affect by the the Australian fires, but then again, the cause was environmental terrorism... They almost got people to believe it was due to "climate change", until the authorities caught the arsonists....

Neil Skene likes this.
  2. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

yea david works very closely with the bbc world news programs
    sorry to break it to you , but david has made 2 series of the highly acclaimed "planet earth", all about - wait for it , planet earth , sea land , north south oceans

but I do understand a little bit , as I should imagine the news in the usa is very inward and self focasing , where the bbc is more worldy and possibly more honest about the world and coal , fossil fuels , and how we constantly trash our planet

watch both series and then you will not be in doubt
    sorry to be so blunt , but somebody needs to educate you , and with that i'll leave with david attenbourough's 2 fantastic series "planet earth" it might make you cry-imagine that :hug:
    check it out now , the funk soul brother , that's right now

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Wooferhead1 likes this.
  3. EndGame00

Nobody is unbiased in the media... Including BBC....

4. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I kind of looked up some stuff on that. It seems it is not a just a small issue but a growing large problem not with just people/camps but with illegal/outlawed chemicals (really strong stuff, stronger than DDT) destroying lots more including plants, trees, water and animals which contributes to the dead forest. This aint back woods Joe growing a few plants. Its multiple cartels setting up farms, large farms in the wilderness.

Adieu likes this.
  5. slide222

austrailia hadn't had any rain for 3 years up untill they got torrential rain for a few days , and some flooding, and then back to wild fires which have been fanned by heavy winds , with the heat so intense it created its own fire storms , and created its own weather patterns inside the area's of massive heat , even scott morrison saying climate change has made it much worse

6. mickeydg5

The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

7. EndGame00

California is still in drought longer... We haven't even met the average rainfall in almost 10 years.... HOWEVER, it is reckless to say "climate change" was the cause of wildfires that broke out in Australia, when the culprit was arson during a heatwave... a Dry season is a normal occurence.... Heat index is unusually high, but it has nothing to do with "climate change"....

8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

10 years ago, the local lakes were 20+ feet low. They've been full pretty much for some time, but, just as a note, the drought was happening way before that.

When we had the "Old" fire, which met up w/ the "Grand Prix" fire, there were 3 other big fires around all at the same time.

At the time, drought was pretty dry & we also had a bark beetle infestation, that was killing a lot of pine trees.

At 1 point, we used to have a deforestation law, that, if any 2 trees touched, 1 tree had to go. Then, when the Sierra Club got involved, & people started building, there was a moratorium that for every tree you cut, you had to plant 10 more in it's place.

If you cut down 20 trees to build a house on a property, then you had to plant 200 trees.

This made the forest too dense, where there were no structures. Trees require a lot of water & pine trees, do not replenish the air w/ a lot of evaporative moisture & suck the moisture out of the ground.

Because of the drought, the trees were also dry, making them succeptable to the bark beetle boring into them. The beetle, when it creates it's larvae, creates a fluid that then turns into a fungus in the tree.

This is normal, but, usually, there's only 1 or 2 beetles per tree & the beetles can not travel from tree to tree, unless... There are too many trees that their branches are all intermingling (remember de-forestation?), so, the beetles multiplied & swarmed the trees, tree after tree, for 100's of 1,000's of trees & over a million in CA.

Under normal conditions, when the trees are adequately drinking water, they fight off this fungi, but, as dry as they were, the fungi dried out the tree even further & now you had 100's of 1,000's of dead trees standing.

The mtn authorities realized this & made an attempt to declare a disaster before the fire. They asked for fed/state money. The gov., made it hard for the average Joe to get help, but made it so, if you owned a big amount of acreage, you could get funds, but, then, the amount was gone quick, w/o making a dent in the problem.

When the fire came through (arson) the trees were like dry, brittle logs standing up tall & looked as if they had turpentine, because the sap was all dry & very flammable.

The winds were very bad - we had Santa Ana winds, that blew the fire down the hill, but, then gravity took it up the mtn.

That was 14 years ago, 25 years before that, we had the Panorama fire...

Every few years the Malibu canyons burn down from the 101 to the beach...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Fire
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Panorama_Fire
    http://www.malibucomplete.com/mc_hazards_fires.php

Neil Skene, EndGame00 and Wooferhead1 like this.
  9. guzzis3

guzzis3 Well-Known Member

You have obviously never lived here. It's quite common for fires to burn for 6 months and more.

Now you are just being silly. No rain for 3 years ? Much of the east coast is in drought, that means below trend rain. It's normal. Instead of making a fool of yourself with silly statements go take a look at the data. I linked to a few sources in previous posts. Also note my post about the size of Australia. Please don't talk about Australia like it is one weather system.

I've been biting my lip on the BS politics but since some of you can't let this go:

Oceanic islands are not sinking due to climate change. The majority are stable or growing. Those that are sinking are doing so due to geology. Despite this being an unambiguous fact easily demonstrable certain people insist on repeating the lie to this day.

If you really want a conspiracy theory follow the money. For decades the "environmental" organisations used the old ad trick, create a problem offer to solve problem for money. The WWF always run the same mega fauna in their ads even though some of them aren't even endangered. You get more donations showing an elephant than say the lord howe island stick insect. What is different though about climate change is a bunch of ultra capitalists realised they could make a ton of money getting on board, so they invested in highly speculative "green" energy companies and either went out themselves or hired people to spruke the same message. This is a first, everyone in the media singing from the same hymbook. I won't name any of them because I'll get sued but it won't take you long to figure it out.

No one advocates for pollution. The reality is we have been challenging polluters in teh courts since the beginning of the industrial revolution, and winning. Go check the records in teh UK. Any of you old enough to remember the 70's will remember the constant brown pawl over all our major cities. All those cities have more people and more cars now than then yet teh air is cleaner. We need to maintain efforts to reduce pollution because there are so many more of us, howeaver if you call it by it's true name, air pollution, you can't panic people into spending money they can't afford on hair brain greenie "solutions" that aren't going to work, so you need a dramatic name like global warming, oops I mean climate change to panic people into opening their wallets.

Arguing on the internet and street marches don't solve anything. We live in democracies. If you want it implemented you have to make a case that sways the moderates to vote with you. You are losing that battle hopelessly. The more ground the left lose the more shrill and extreme they become. And the more support they lose. That is why Trump/Johnson/Morrison. Trump didn't win that election Clinton lost it and she lost it precisely when she uttered those 3 little words, caught up playing to her base and forgetting the people she really should have been trying to win. Nothing else mattered.

I've been watching the swing to the right develop for about 10 years now. It's accelerating, and frankly a lot of it is ugly. I believe however it's inevitable now. The left have had 50 years. I think the right will have a similar tenure.

10. EndGame00

As I mentioned earlier, wildfires in CA is preventable if CA allow loggers to remove, clear and dispose diseased, dead or dying trees, and dried underbush to control the forest growth... Current state regulations won't allow it...

Plus, water is heavily regulated... One of the main complaints by the firefighters who were in the frontlines that they didn't have access to the reservoirs when the Sonoma fire broke out in 2018... Farmers have to pay the extra for water while the runoffs from the Cascades go wasted into the Pacific ...too much red tape...

11. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

Spot on!
    I wrote a a long passage about pollution (then didn't post because I really don't want to argue with the alarmists) and how no one is doing much to fight it because it costs money to address. You can't make money out of reducing and cleaning up pollution, so no one is mentioning it. Also I don't believe you can do any more damage as an individual to the planet than to reproduce. A lot of the people I see foaming at the mouth about climate change have 30 brothers, sisters and kids standing behind them. This business about saying I have never seen it so bad is a bit like the two flies on an elephants back looking behind themselves and saying "Look at all the dust we are making" The earth and climate are billions of years old and we choose to become hysterical about change that has happened in the last few seconds? It is pollution and population (both linked) that we need to control and it will cost money to do so.

Sorry about the Americans that were killed trying to help fight the fires.

tallcoolone and Wooferhead1 like this.
  12. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I'm probably the smartest guy in the world...Yes most oceanic islands aren't sinking. The oceans are rising, the glaciers in Greenland, in the Alps, Himalayas are melting at un-precidented rates. I've seen the satellite maps. When the coastal cities start disappearing and millions are displaced in about a hundred years it's going to be too late for the millions around the world who rely on those glacial fed rivers for fresh water...oh wait look at Miami Florida, it now regularly floods during high tides, Venice Italy, Alaska natives displaced the list goes on...Greenhouse gases are accelerating global warming at unprecedented rates. I'm aware it's hard to change from fossil fuels to renewables, it would ruin economies (Australia's #1 export is coal, $ 85 billion a year, mostly to developing nations)...If the world wants to adapt they will need time and time is running out...:realmad:

13. Neil Skene

The ocean is not stable. Sea level is not "Sea level" Ocean currents, winds and even barometric pressure raise and lower the mean sea level in certain regions.
    The rotation of the earth, Sun, Moon, Sun-Moon combining in alternating phases, uneven heating over oceans and land, Plate tectonics (raising and lowering) and a whole heap of other individual and combining influences affect the ocean and its apparent levels. It is chaotic and may appear to have rhythm or cycles for extended periods, but can then change and never return to the previous state. Do the apparent cycles last for hundreds or thousands of years? I don't know, but I believe it is unwise to expect a constant. I could say by observation, "The level has not changed here in my lifetime" The same boat ramp with the same rock holding the same oysters at the same level on the rock, is at the same level it always has been. I have not measured it to the nearest millimetre but it is un noticeable. This of course doesn't mean it has not changed somewhere else but globally it has not.
    The very fact we are not the wisest people on earth should make us wary of the so called truth being thrown around. Terms like "Renewable Energy":rofl:They are telling you that they have perfected the perpetual motion machine! LOL
    There is no such thing in our universe as "Renewable Energy" Unless there is another "Big Bang" Energy in this universe can only be spent, From hot to cold, light to dark, never to return.
    I will finish by saying again I believe the solution is population reduction.

Just incase Im wrong, Here is some evil Climate Emergency music :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  14. EndGame00

Well of course they’re going to flood because those cities you mentioned like Miami and Venice are geographically below sea level, Miami is in the hurricane alley, they have experienced sea surges everytime large hurricanes hit the area... Venice is sitting on top of a riverbed, they are literally built on stilts.... they have experienced flooding historically.... flooding didnt begin during the industrial era.... When you build houses on alluvial plains or river deltas, expect to get flooded....

15. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

You do realize that you are number crunching with data you’ve received from the News, don’t you?

tallcoolone and Neil Skene like this.
  16. mickeydg5

Honestly I can say I do not give a shit.
    It is what it is.
    Jed, move away from there. I would.
    Damn, cut down all the trees and sell them off. Things can be replanted later. Hell, less kiln drying needed. :wtf: Use some freaking common sense.

Most all politicians are overpaid dumbasses.

17. slide222

if you don't give a shit why are you wasting your time with a reply
    so who has looked at "planet earth" then

18. Neil Skene

EndGame00 and tallcoolone like this.
  19. slide222

plz remember the bbc is a world service and only shows the truth with facts and film evidence , no bias there unlike usa news which is only interested in its self and the usa -god bless America and only America
    we don't say things like that in the uk and the bbc is brutily honest with its self , and that is why we love it , big coverage of COP25 showing all the climate change reports reports, we see them all -I bet that doesn't happen here

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Wooferhead1 likes this.
  20. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

No-one only shows the truth, maybe part of the whole picture. We have the ABC, notoriously Left-leaning taxpayer-owned network. Still better news presentation than the commercial networks.

guzzis3 and Neil Skene like this.