Australian Wildfires

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Wooferhead1, Jan 9, 2020.

1. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

game i gotta tell ya man.........
    i have a friend who retired as a fire fighter. his line of work has allowed him to live in
    several wonderful places in the US over the yrs. it was about 10ish yrs back we were talking about one of the
    fires that was out of control when we got on the topic of how they get started so easy.
    the usual droughts, sun reflecting through busted up glass on the ground, arson, all the usual suspects right.
    then he looked at me and with the straightest face and said "you know how else they get started" as serious as one can be too.
    i thought we covered everything ya know. he looked at me and said "firemen".
    ok i was a bit confused but had to ask what he meant. he told me that there had been evidence for decades that some of those fires
    are straight up set by firemen. i didnt believe a word of it. he explained to me how firemen get paid and gave examples as to why they would do such a thing.
    to this day i often wonder. everything he said made so much sense to me and in like all fields im sure there are more than a few bad apples ya know.
    greg is a known BSer ok. but you can usually tell when hes on a "tall tale" ya know. not lies but he will pull your leg with a smile on his face
    often leaving you with the same. but game he was dead serious.

Australian, slide222 and Wooferhead1 like this.
  2. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I believe you... some firefighters who’s gone to “fight” these CA wildfires would attest these arent the usual fires they deal with... the igniting agent some them claimed, were phosphorous...

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  3. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

There was a Regional Fire Service guy kicked out the service & face court last year in South Australia for starting fires for the same reason so I'd probably give Greg the benifit of doubt on that one.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

5. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

And another reason why fires spread quickly? Rabbits! The rabbits have been known to race through the paddocks while on fire, igniting a trail behind them.

I also mentioned the fact about firemen doing the deed. I think that the lack of deaths in these fires hold some credibility to the fact that a fireman was bored waiting for work, and may have dropped a cigarette in a sparsely populated area.

6. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

It's worse than that. It well established that pyros are attracted to firefighting. They have a mental health issue but aren't weeded out. Not that sacking them wold stop them starting them.

But it's not so much deliberate arson. The simple fact is there are a lot more people in the bush, and people do stupid things. And sometimes they do reasonable things that go wrong.

I've studied road safety a lot. You know probably the best way to make road trauma decrease ? Stop people driving. There is always a strong correlation between sharp increases in fuel prices, fewer miles traveled and lower deaths and injuries.

One way to reduce frequency of ignitions is to keep people out of the bush. Not very feasible though.

Adieu likes this.
  7. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Thar might be some truth to firemen starting fires at one time. What I don’t understand is why some doesn’t come up with a temp water lines to fight fires with. If you put hose reals on trucks and booster pumps you can move a lot of water to fight fires with

8. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

I don't understand what you are saying here ?

IF you are talking about the australian bushfires there is no reticulated water anywhere near most of them. What they use is water trucks with, as you say, high volume pumps and 3/4 to 3" hoses depending on the appliance.I'm not 100% up on what they use these days. Maybe the 3/4 have all been retired. They are pretty useless on anything more than a grass fire. There is of course a limit to how much water you can carry on a truck and a big diameter hose can chew through that really quick, and if your empty and encounter an emergency retreating from the fire grounds to refill...

There are people way smarter than me who think this stuff through, but as usual they aren't always listened to by the decision makers.

jimmyjames likes this.
  9. South Park

Let me explain you have a 12 in main in the street . You can hook up to that with a 12 in hose and booster pumps for friction loss and tee off of that to fight the fires in much bigger area . Some places it might work . It would take a lot of work to preplan and stage. I worked for water agency so i understand the system

10. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Yes these bush villages usually have no mains supply. people use water collected from their roofs, or brought by truck. And the fires that have been challenging this summer start deep in the bushland, where there is no access never mind no water. They grow, and the fire services may try to control them by back-burning or clearing, but often this has not been possible. So the fires arrive at inhabited areas already huge and uncontrollable.

A standard RFS Cat1 fire truck from NSW will carry 3 m3 of water, and they can deliver this very effectively at high pressure. But this is really not much. Enough to protect a house, or slow the advance.

The only thing tbat really controls our fires is rain. 1mm of rain is more than fire-truck full delivered to every single acre. A massive amount over a fire ground.

And, I'm pleased to say, we have had significant rain in many areas over the last few days, maybe 50mm where I live. It's hopeful and we can see grass beginning to grow again.

guzzis3, jimmyjames and Wooferhead1 like this.
  11. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Getting water local ofter some places in over 3 years of drought doesn't help. I remember working at Ranger where the stock pile is way above local relative ground level, in the dry season you would see a fire start from about 20kms away within a couble of hours there would be individual fires as far as the eye could see from the embers blown from the first & by nightfall the whole horizon would be aglow, and thats just your annual N.T. scrub fires. Eucalypt forrest fires after long periods of drought, strong dry wind & high temperatures is just a bomb waiting to go off. But...maybe now time to start to prepare for the floods that follow?

Wooferhead1 likes this.
  12. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

Yeah as pointed out above in most places there is no 12 inch main in the street and very little in dams and reservoirs either. Up here several major towns were on the brink of running out of water altogether and the state government was spending millions trucking in water every day.

I'm a mechanical engineer and also understand the system...

The water bombers are great because they can range far to pick up water to dump. They are obviously not the solution to every problem but they are a big help.

Something you americans and europeans possibly don't fully comprehend. As I said earlier Australia is almost exactly the same size as the cont 48, or if you prefer it covers Moscow to Portugal, but we have 23 million people most of whom are crammed into 3 east coast capitals. The rest of the country is mostly empty, for good reason. The northern 3rd is tropical with all the problems that brings, much of the other 2/3 is desert or semi arid. There is literally almost no water at all ever.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  13. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Nathan lifting the spirits of the koalas with his organ:

Dogs of Doom and Wooferhead1 like this.
  14. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

They do controlled fires at the start of a dry season in CA.. they usually target grassland, which are much easier to put out...

For wildfires, they use fire retardants more often than water since water evaporates before it touches the fire...

Wooferhead1 likes this.
  15. South Park

Thar is no easy answers to all this . I have Ben to Australia great place and people. It is a different from California . The vast and remote out back is like nowhere on the planet . City’s and home owners need to maintain a defendable space . That was the problem in Sonoma county and Ventura county .

Wooferhead1 and jimmyjames like this.
  16. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

Hats off to the 3 American firefighters who lost their lives.

Madfinger, jimmyjames, jmp45 and 2 others like this.
  17. guzzis3

guzzis3 Active Member

It is so sad their deaths. Travel to the other side of the planet to help people and this happens. My sincere sympathy to their families and friends.

South Park: They aren't allowed to. Sometimes it's stupid greenies moving from the city but the governments at all levels put stupid restrictions on clearing. I wanted to buy east of Moruya in 2014 but I backed out after doing my due diligence and finding I'd only get a 25 meter (yard) buffer and even then I wasn't allowed to remove every tree. Hopelessly inadequate. I've said for decades you need minimum 100 meters. Gradually after terrible fires and loss of life the government are gradually bending to good sense.

Madfinger and Wooferhead1 like this.
  18. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

The idiots here keep building in fire prone forested areas and wonder why their homes burn, it's part of the natural cycle. Add a lightning strike, drought and wind and "poof". Of course the rich guys with insurance just rebuild and rebuild and .....buh duh :nuts:

19. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

There it is! A global issue we can use to further our agenda!

Amen brother.

Wooferhead1 likes this.
  20. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

Very very sad news. The greatest sacrifice while assisting others in need.

I can assure every right minded Australian sends their deepest condolences to the 3 Americans who gave their lives, their families and all those who loved them.

An absolute tragedy.

Peace