Australian Wildfires

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Wooferhead1, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

Let's all offer our condolences and prayers to all who've lost family and friends in the ongoing disaster in Australia.
    From what I understand, the fires have been burning since September, dozens have perished, thousands of homes have burned, and an estimated billion animals have died. No end in sight, this the start of summer, substantial rain won't come for months...

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I hope and pray this will some how get under control . We need to stick together on this one

Lo-Tek and MarshallDog like this.
  3. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

A definite catastrophe, seems like half of Oz is alight. Even areas 30km South and 60km North of my suburban place. It seems that an accumulation of residual forest floor fuel has occurred over the years. Weather conditions and environmental policies have diminished preventative burns. Many new housing developments are alongside large bush areas, plus many people have opted for a "tree-change" and live amongst the vegetation. The authorities will need to ensure sufficient management of forest floor fuel, wild grass areas and firebreaks. Preventative burning is weather-dependent, mechanical clearing of excess must also be considered. My thoughts are with all those affected.

4. guzzis3

guzzis3 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't believe anything you see on TV and you can be pretty sure anything on social media is the opposite of true.

A bloke who does image manipulation for a living built a really pretty 3D image of australia and superimposed a whole month of the fires on it. He put an explanation on his post but as it got shared the explanation got stripped and people assumed it was an instant current image.

We have major fire seasons every 10 - 20 years. This one is not the worst, but which one is depends on how you rate them,most people killed ? not even close, most homes lost ? it's getting up there mostly due to more people living in the bush and stupid polices (and I'm not getting sucked in to that argument). Most land burned? I don't know I haven't checked.

The main reason this one looks worse is extensive media coverage.

I got caught in a firestorm in 93 protecting work, got my hair burned off only survived through sheer luck. I don't do fires anymore. Not much scares me, that did.

I was also in the 2011 flood in brisbane. 19 meters or 67' straight up. That was a doddle by comparison.

This is a far better representation of the current situation. Give it time to load..

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.go...-06;l:firms_viirs,firms_modis_a,firms_modis_t

5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

The Media sucks! They are so full of shat 98% of the time just trying to sell a story...

RCM 800, GIBSON67 and jimmyjames like this.
  6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Guzzi's link: NASA

upload_2020-1-9_20-6-18.png

MarshallDog likes this.
  7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yeah well I have friends who live there and the animal loss alone is far more than ever before. Its not the main media distorting it for Chrissakes. Social media is always fucked. The opposite is true? So very low fire area then. No one injured or killed.
    Ridiculous.
    So you're not giving any concern to those affected then. Even if not the worst ever, its pretty bloody bad.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  8. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

He wasn't downplaying the ferocity and widespread destruction, but the actual proportion of the country affected vs the media depiction. I hope your friends remain safe, and that the firies can get it under control.

MarshallDog and Jethro Rocker like this.
  9. Jethro Rocker

Possibly. It didnt come across like that. First thing in was don't believe it.
    So that map would indicate half of Thailand is on fire right now and there are active fires in the Rockies in BC in the dead of winter?
    That I find hard to believe.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Adieu likes this.
  10. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

America will be the next empire. They say ‘look fire’ ; the world looks... Its basic economics.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  11. RobS

RobS Active Member

12. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say media is blowing it out of proportion at all. Some say images of fires over a month period. Well some fires have been burning for over a month. We get fires every summer here on the central coast but this is by far the worst I've seen in my 58 years on the planet. If we dont get rain this could only be the start.

13. Australian

Its raining here at the moment. I’ll give you a million dollars if that becomes a News flash over yonder.

MarshallDog and Dogs of Doom like this.
  14. Jethro Rocker

We get news here when it rains there. Its a big deal. Saw a report yesterday. Get out the wallet! :D

This map would indicate not a large percentage of the overall country but look how much is outback and how much is settled and green. Thats where the fires are.

MarshallDog and jimmyjames like this.
  15. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

they've mentioned it, but haven't given it any real coverage. They said if the rain holds up long enough, it should extinguish some of the fires, but I haven't really seen where it's raining compared to the fires...

16. Jethro Rocker

Another quick mill coming! :applause:

CoyotesGator and jimmyjames like this.
  17. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

No rain on my place yet, about 60km south of Sydney. We have been ok, but one of the major fires got within about 10km. We run a horse property, with bush on it and nearby so we have to be careful. This is driest hottest I've known in 20 years since moving here.

But, when you see maps, with like 6M hectares of fire, it's cumulative over time. It's not all burning at once. The fires expand along a fire front, and it's there that the devasting images and media coverage is concentrated, if it coincides with people.

There's another thing to understand. Usually, fires here burn through the undergrowth, and singe the trees, but the trees recover. It is part of their life cycle. This is unlike a pine forest, which is dead after such a fire. That being said, more of the fires are getting up into the crown of the trees than usual, much more dangerous.

It is bad, it's worse than usual, but it's not the end of the world yet

18. Madfinger

Not sure where your at but it must only be a isolated shower at best. 45 centigrade inland & mid 30s up & down the coast wind to 40kph.

19. Australian

I’ll bet that they’ll move on to another alarming story soon. Its not like theres a city on fire with mass loss of human life.

If theres one thing that needs to change, its the attitude of some of these rural residents.
    A large fire in Kinglake some years ago some neighbors died, others lived-because they got the fvck out of there. A human cant breath in those conditions, and they think theyre safe if the fire doesnt lick their roof. :facepalm:
    The few that got caught up and perished because they didnt leave. If they cant part with and leave a shack(shed more like it-build a double brick house would be an idea) to burn then they should be living in the city instead.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Jethro Rocker and MarshallDog like this.
  20. Madfinger

You drunk. Towns have been lost, farms, feed & stock, businesses & agricultural land thats going to cost billions, not to mention lives & wildlife. Volunteers as far as US, Canada, New Zealand, Britain & elsewhere are here helping to protect all this. ( Thank you all BTW). I think it's absurd giving people in other parts of the world the idea that all Australians that live in bush
    are bums. I hope you enjoy your steak & veggies that are grown in the supermarket tonight