Attenuated Settings

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kid_Awesome1, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Kid_Awesome1

Kid_Awesome1 Active Member

i don’t know if this will be a popular topic or not but I’d love to hear from people who love their amps what their preferred settings are and what sound they’re aiming for. I’d rather keep this discussion away from pedals, at least any kind of overdrives. They have their place, but I’m a recent convert to the idea that cranking is the only way to play, and just attenuate down to the right volume. The less between you and the amp the better. If you like pedals, that’s great, but I don’t know why you wouldn’t just get a crystal clear 80 watt fender twin reverb.

Ok, I’ll start:

Right now I’m using my Sv20h with a closed back 1x12 with a greenback. I go into the high normal input and jumper top left to bottom right. I have presence at about 1/3, bass at 1/4 mids 3/4, treble just over halfway, treble channel at 8 and normal at 7. I’ll sometimes use a reverb in the effects loop and I use a minimass and the 5-watt mode. I’ve found this to be incredibly flexible to get a wide range of classic tones, from Early ac/dc to Jimi at Woodstock, to sunshine of you love cream all though the tone & volumes on my guitar. I’ve noticed a big difference when using the parallel mode on my es-335 - way more authentic. The only thing with this setting is that the bass can get quite fuzzy. I like that but you will lose a lot of clarity. It clears up really nicely when you turn the guitar volume down to the 3-5 range. With these settings it’s never really clean unless you pick light.

I’d someone has a sc20 and they’ve dialed in that appetite sound or that real classic snort, I’d love to know how to really that sound. Thx in advance!

tce63 likes this.
  2. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Ok so my mini mass is in transit ready for me to pull the trigger on an SV20.

But I am looking forward to using it on my JVM 205c to see if it is different to using the master volume.

Once I get it I will let u know.

G

Kid_Awesome1 and tce63 like this.
  3. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

At the moment at home I use this setting with my Gibson LP traditional, Mini mass around 30-35% in 5w mode, and also a HOF in the loop

CAB Marshall SV212 with Greenbacks

Sound great in my ears (and for the neighbours) :)

Cheers :cheers:

2019-09-14 23-33-52.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  4. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

One thing to keep in mind is the Mini Mass is rated for amps up to 50 watts. In theory it should be suitable for the JVM205 but I've heard that amps can oftentimes put out more wattage than what they are rated at. If you crank it and attenuate down, hopefully you don't inadvertently cause any harm to the amp.

5. Kid_Awesome1

Seems like we’re going for a similar sound. I use a T. rex creamer and my Marshall go to guitar is a 2017 LP STD T. Pickups are a little hotter than the traditional but back them off by about one on the volume dial and they sound PAF to me. The std also has push pull pots with one option giving you the “Peter green” out of phase tone. I find that if I keep that knob up and stick to individual pickups, they sound a little more parallel than standard.

tce63 likes this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Here’s the settings I’ve been using lately, with my Les Pauls, my SC20h on the 20 watt setting and my MiniMass,....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

I have an older 1987x,and am using an 8 ohm hot plate with it.I usually only plug into the high treble input.Settings are almost always : presence 10 , bass 0 to 1, middle 10, treble 9-10, and channel 1, volume at 8.I turn the normal volume up to 2, fot a bit of bleed.The speakers are a pair of creambacks.Using mostly a hot strat with the duncan hot rails.The hot plate is usually at the16 db setting wich is just a hair fizzy,but is still plenty loud for the home.It's an aggressive tone.'Kinda like an older Scorpians tone.

8. Kid_Awesome1

What sound are you aiming for?

9. Kid_Awesome1

Hey, so I tried your settings and I like them even better. Thanks! I’d say that the setting I was using which I’ll post below really gave that cranked Marshall on a stage sound, but yours gives a much wider range using guitar tone and volume. I can actually get a “still gritty” clean tone!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’m not really aiming for any particular sound, just a pleasing overdriven tone with the right amount of treble, mid, and bass.

These settings are working for me, they may not for someone else. I must be honest, I’ve never been the type of person that hears a certain tone and tries to emulate it.

11. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

My chosen approach lead me to a multi-amp, W/D/W architecture--utilizing a Switching System to select which amp, what channel, which fx, and what preset of the fx is called up. When fx are not selected-- the device and the cables connecting the devices are removed from the chain entirely and is MUCH cleaner (less noisy and better fidelity) than traditionally hooking up a bunch of gear in series. (3) 4x12 Marshall cabinets and use a Mesa 395 Stereo Power Amp.

No OD or Distortion pedals. It's all the Amp

Amps are usually a Mesa/Boogie MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class head, Marshall Plexi SL, Fender Super Reverb, and a Cameron Atomica. The amps change depending on the gig.

12. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member

I think it sounds great and as you say, roll of the volume on the guitar to 5-6 you get a great "clean" sound with just a little dirt.

Cheers :cheers:

13. Kid_Awesome1

Let me rephrase: for reference, is there a song or album that approximates your sound when you’re dialed in as you like?

tce63 likes this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’d say if I had to choose one, Paul Kossof comes to mind. But I’m not consciously trying to emulate him.