Artiste 2040 Restoration, What Speakers Should I Get

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Dualy, May 14, 2019.

1. Dualy

Dualy New Member

I recently acquired an Artiste 2040 in semi rough shape. It is missing both speakers, speaker wires, speaker screws and some of the screws in the back are not original. The front grille has a small hole in it, and three of the four casters were stuck. Reverb unit is still there untouched.

The head is complete, but the mains transformer was rewound with a bit different winding configuration (took a while to measure it out), they rewound it with two 6.3V heater windings, one of which is unused. Also one of the side caps is missing from the transformer. The mains cable/socket is also missing.

But the head works and it has some nice Telefunken EL34s and Mullard ECC83s.

Now the next thing is to buy some speakers. But I can't get any info which ones were originally in.
    I know that they were Celestion G12, but I don't know which series, nor what wattage.

Can someone shed some light on that? Thanks!

2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I think originally would have been G12H 30w. I’ve seen T1886 but these are 16 ohm and would need to be in parallel for 8ohm setting.

3. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Yeah T1886 would be the original speakers. I wouldn't recommend them though, they tend to be problematic (rub very easily). Personally I would opt for a good pair of T1281/T1534 or T1217.

4. Dualy

Dualy New Member

Thanks!
    What about any new production Celestion speakers? Which ones are most similar to the originals?

5. neikeel

6. Dualy

Dualy New Member

I am in Europe, but not in UK. I can ask the seller if he can ship them outside UK.

7. Dualy

Dualy New Member

I also have some questions about the screws used in this amplifier.
    I am missing all but one speaker screws, which I measured to be 3/16'' x 7/8'' (4.74mm dia., 22.1mm lenght).

Also all of the cabinet screws are missing cup washers and they look like ordinary cheesehead wood screws (which they are). Only one of the cup washer was still there.
    Also the screws that hold the amp to the board look unoriginal, and two of six are missing. These are also cheesehead, but M6 ones.

I can get replacements at a hardware store (except the speaker ones), but I am not sure what were the original ones, or perhaps the ones I have are actually original. On the pictures I googled, it looks like the screws are all Philips type though.

8. neikeel

Speaker screws are usually 1" 2BA cheesehead with internal star lockwasher.
    The rear panel screws can be the stock Marshall Pozidrive (not phillips) round head or the pozi, countersunk round head M6 with chrome finish and matching cup washer to mount the chassis, same cupwashers and wood screws to match for the panels to cab.

9. Dualy

Dualy New Member

Thanks. I'll try to get some pozi replacements, although checking on eBay, the screws are relatively easy to get, but cup washers are not.

Anyways, I was testing the amp, and after 3-4 mintutes I noticed one EL34 started to red plate and the power draw almost doubled. Long story short, the one EL34 just died in front of me, the tube got grid emission, the grid on a bad tube gets almost positive after few minutes. New pair of EL34s solved the problem.

I also checked the filament voltage and it is too high. I am getting 7.6V. As the mains transformer was rewound, they used only one primary for 220V (it was country standard voltage until 1994, now it is 230V). So that means I am getting about 5-10% higher voltage with my mains voltage (23V-240V). B+ is 365V, which I think is correct.

I was thinking of getting a replacement transformer, I found a MPT-50 for a nice price. Any info if this transformer would work here?